Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

North East 250 route (Scotland) Has anyone tried it?

S

Solgal

VIP Member
We were thinking about trying the NC500 at the end of the month but we have a bit less time than we thought (could do it at a push) but also worried about midges in the west section. We came across the https://www.northeast250.com and this looks a good route too so we wondered if anyone has tried and has any advice?

We were thinking about trying the NC500 at the end of the month but we have a bit less time than we thought (could do it at a push) but also worried about midges in the west section. We came across the https://www.northeast250.com and this looks a good route too so we wondered if anyone has tried and has any advice?
We know the West coast extremely well , we haven't done the 250 on the East as a route but have been upon the North / east coast a few times as we have friends in Turriff.
The Cairngorms is a stunning area, beautiful walking around Loch Muick & Braemar.
If you do this route, we highly recommend you come off the route & make time for Lossiemouth which has a long spectacular beach. The Scottish Dolphin Centre at Spey Bay on the Moray Firth is a lovely area for walking. Portsoy does fab ice cream. Lovely walking along the headland & great views of Bow Fiddle Rock at Portknockie. We've always found the East to be quiet with little traffic except for in the main towns.

Lots of great places along that route. Living in Aberdeen & originally from Peterhead I’d personally miss out a few of the stops along the way. Stonehaven Is definitely worth a stop for the old harbour & great fish & chips fro the bay fish & chip shop. Aberdeen’s got a nice botanical garden at Duthie park, nice beach front & the maritime museum is worth a look if you want to know a little about Aberdeen’s fishing past & the offshore industry. Peterhead is a quiet town, not much happening but has a nice bay & the old prison tour is supposed to be very good although I’ve yet to do it. The drive from Peterhead to Fraserburgh is uninspiring but once past Fraserburgh the coast really opens up & here you’ll find some real gems. From Pennan to Crovie (definitely worth a visit) near gardenstown & on to Portsoy, Cullen & portnockie you can’t go wrong for scenery alone. As said Lossiemouth has a cracking beach. From here the options are endless if heading into the cairngorm national park but aviemore & Loch Morlich are must do’s I’d say, braemar, balater, Loch muick.... hard to say what the best route would be. If you like your whisky you’re spoilt for choice for distilleries & tours. The drive back from balater to Banchory is a nice one north or south side of the river. Worth a drive over the cairn o mount too from Banchory via the bridge of dye to fettercairn. I could go on but you get the idea...

Last edited:
Thanks - that's really useful to know, especially about being uninspiring past Fraserburgh.

Back