Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noisy sliding door

Yes I have a noisy side door sat in the back and it seems that the window is loose and rattling haven't had time to investigate how to fix yet.

I have this very annoying "over the right shoulder" rattle and have proved its the door by driving with it in the fixed but open position on a back road and its totally silent. If you rattle the male spring loaded main-lock large prong on the door it makes the rattle that I can hear. Its spring loaded so this should stop when located in the female part on the van B-Pillar but there is still the noise when shut!. I tried putting pads in the top and bottom locators but no change.

It goes into VW on Tuesday to be be corrected but at least I can tell them exactly where its coming from. I will post VW fix here....

PS: Interestingly the rattle completely disappears at fast speed on Motorways etc.

I have this very annoying "over the right shoulder" rattle and have proved its the door by driving with it in the fixed but open position on a back road and its totally silent. If you rattle the male spring loaded main-lock large prong on the door it makes the rattle that I can hear. Its spring loaded so this should stop when located in the female part on the van B-Pillar but there is still the noise when shut!. I tried putting pads in the top and bottom locators but no change.

It goes into VW on Tuesday to be be corrected but at least I can tell them exactly where its coming from. I will post VW fix here....

PS: Interestingly the rattle completely disappears at fast speed on Motorways etc.
I have exactly the same intermittent rattle. It sounds as if it's coming from the B pillar at right ear height. I've had the van for thirty months and in that time have tried everything to eliminate this noise.

I initially thought is was coming from the awning. So took a detailed look at that. After having made adjustments and adding many felt cushioning pads to anything that could rattle or move, that rattle still persists. I've even put large elastic bands (black rubber wrist band of the type charities use to promote a cause or by event organisors to identify who can come in) around each end. Whilst they've all made the awning rattle free the one you mention persists. :headbang

I think that's because the motorway surface is smooth, no bumps or potholes. I've noticed it's much worse on poorly maintained country roads.

I thought that but even over bumps no noise at speed. My guess is the inertia is forcing the door to stay pushed back in place. I think its maybe that although it looks perfect when shut there is scope for adjustment as if its dropped even a small amount there is scope for metal on metal on several places close to where the door runners rest. Top one is right behind your right ear where I hear the sound. Lets see what VW find.

Can somebody wiggle their locking tongue on the door (The male bit with brass bits that goes into the female slot on B Pillar.) and see if it makes a rattling sound please? (Mine does but when locked this should be unable to move)

Hi Guys,
My first post
See Boris earlier post #5 where he identifies the female door location guide. There is a male guide on the door also which located into the pillar female guid.

I had an intermittent rattle on a T5.1 2012, it used to drive me nuts, and is very distracting.

It was really difficult to pin point the exact area the noise was coming from, even when seated in the back, always appeared to be somewhere around the sliding door though . I tried adjusting the male and female parts, with initial success, noise stopped, then returned shortly after, then tied to pack the female part with grease and readjusted, again the problem went away for a few days but returned again, came to the conclusion that the female part must be worn.
Changed both top and bottom set of (male and female) guides, about £20 from VW main dealer, had to be ordered in, easy job to fit, solved the problem totally. Sanity returned to each journey

I hope that helps

Changed both top and bottom set of (male and female) guides, about £20 from VW main dealer, had to be ordered in, easy job to fit, solved the problem totally. Sanity returned to each journey
Thanks for that input, i´m gonna replace mine now. :thumb
I just need the parts picture from welshgas :D so i can get them
ordered.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
My first post
See Boris earlier post #5 where he identifies the female door location guide. There is a male guide on the door also which located into the pillar female guid.

I had an intermittent rattle on a T5.1 2012, it used to drive me nuts, and is very distracting.

It was really difficult to pin point the exact area the noise was coming from, even when seated in the back, always appeared to be somewhere around the sliding door though . I tried adjusting the male and female parts, with initial success, noise stopped, then returned shortly after, then tied to pack the female part with grease and readjusted, again the problem went away for a few days but returned again, came to the conclusion that the female part must be worn.

I hope that helps
But mine has done it from new so the cause can't be worn parts. If these parts are the cause then they must either be defective or badly adjusted. The only other reason is simply bad design but if that was the case then all Calis would have the same rattle.

Hi Borris

Really simple to adjust, there will be a factor punch mark on the door / frame which should be aligned, as these are factory fitted marks (Male part and door)
To adjust simply loosen the screws slightly on the male part, moving the male part either up or down (usually up)
Mark the exiting position laterally and vertically with a piece of masking tape so you can reference the original positionand if need be return the setting to the original.
only move the male part marginally each at time, and only move one male piece at at time (i.e. top one first) resecure, Close door to check alignment / correct closure, check gaps around door have not changed significantly, see if squeak rattle improved or not.
Trial and error.
As said earlier I could only get mine to improve for a short period of time, then the annoying rattle would return, swapping all four parts solved the problem for me quite cheaply, of course it could be something else causing the issue, such as poorly adjusted door generally, you can adjust the the door striker latch position to increase pressure on the rubber door seal as well as adjusting the top rail support. Use the tape method to mark the original position of all components before adjusting anything just in case you need to revert to the original settings

But mine has done it from new so the cause can't be worn parts. If these parts are the cause then they must either be defective or badly adjusted. The only other reason is simply bad design but if that was the case then all Calis would have the same rattle.
Have you tried putting the arm rest down? Had 2 Cali's now and both have had arm rests that rattle when up. First one took ages to diagnose, thought it was the sliding door, or the blind cables, or the awning, or.......but was actually the arm rest being up on the right hand side of the drivers seat. Adjusting the dial i.e. height setting or lowering the arm rest got rid of the rattle.

Have you tried putting the arm rest down? Had 2 Cali's now and both have had arm rests that rattle when up. First one took ages to diagnose, thought it was the sliding door, or the blind cables, or the awning, or.......but was actually the arm rest being up on the right hand side of the drivers seat. Adjusting the dial i.e. height setting or lowering the arm rest got rid of the rattle.
Wow! Not heard of that one before. Might explain a problem I have on the passenger side. Will investigate. Thanks.

This thread relates solely to the Door Mechanism rattle now I think. Over right shoulder :)

Thanks but it's not the arm rest. It's definitely coming from the B post around the area of the top seat belt fixing point.

Just saying I hardly ever get a notification or block but they seem to know what they are talking about. Had to tell you.

Can somebody confirm full procedure for adjusting Male & Female parts of locking mechanism?