Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noisy sliding door

Veedlescnapper

Veedlescnapper

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all. Anyone had any problems with your sliding door, creaking whilst driving?

T6 Cali Ocean.

The awning? I had this problem and was certain it was the door but eventually tracked it down to some misplaced rubber pads inside the awning case..........just above the door!! Worth a look if not done so already.

I also have had an intermittent rattle coming from what seems like the off side B post. It sounds like the source is located in the area near the upper drivers seat belt fixing.
Initially, I thought it was caused by the arms in the awning casing rattling or possibly the same but due to the rubber cushion pads having come off. However, regardless of numerous adjustments to the awning mechanism and re-sticking the rubber cushion pads, the noise persists. I am now inclined to think that the culprit maybe the top sliding door locating fitting. Unfortunately I haven't yet had the time to investigate.
The suspect upper sliding door location fitting can be seen on the B post in the top right of this photograph:
image.jpeg
Questions:
1. Has anyone else had a similar rattle?
2. Was it caused by this upper sliding door location fixing?
3. Did adjustment cure the rattle?

Many thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
Check door , rails and rollers .
Unwind awning , check rubber pads in the housing , wind back in ....
Check table in sliding door (you done that)
Make sure the noise is not comming from something whole diffrent , someone sitting in the rear while driving can hear diffrent things than when you are behind the steeringwheel driving.

Check door , rails and rollers .
Unwind awning , check rubber pads in the housing , wind back in ....
Check table in sliding door (you done that)
Make sure the noise is not comming from something whole diffrent , someone sitting in the rear while driving can hear diffrent things than when you are behind the steeringwheel driving.
Thanks HC,
I haven't checked the rails and rollers yet but have gone through everything else that you've mentioned. I hadn't really thought about the rollers as I had assumed that there wasn't any scope for adjustment. Aren't they just bolted to the door? Presumably the rails are a fixed elements of the chassis? I will have to take a closer look when I get some time and get aquainted with how it all works.

Thanks HC,
I haven't checked the rails and rollers yet but have gone through everything else that you've mentioned. I hadn't really thought about the rollers as I had assumed that there wasn't any scope for adjustment. Aren't they just bolted to the door? Presumably the rails are a fixed elements of the chassis? I will have to take a closer look when I get some time and get aquainted with how it all works.

There always could be something wrong with the rails causing the door not to shut as it suppose to and ratlle.

Hello Veedlescnapper

We have the same thing in our 2013 T5 SE.
The noise is definetly coming from the sliding door when it is closed. The noise is a creaking and not a rattle/bang and is normally only at low speed (as though something has not been tightened properly).

We have ruled out the awning, both tables, seats and other possible causes.
I have removed and lubed the B pillar collars as well as checking the runners all of which appear correct.

With everything else removed from the van and one of us sat in the back the noise appears to be coming from the inside of the sliding door close to the handle/lock .

My next step is to strip the sliding door to find the noise. :confused:.
Does anyone know of any instructions for the Cali sliding door??

Andy

The awning? I had this problem and was certain it was the door but eventually tracked it down to some misplaced rubber pads inside the awning case..........just above the door!! Worth a look if not done so already.
Thanks Jabberwocky, not thought of this so will investigate in the morning.

Hello Veedlescnapper

We have the same thing in our 2013 T5 SE.
The noise is definetly coming from the sliding door when it is closed. The noise is a creaking and not a rattle/bang and is normally only at low speed (as though something has not been tightened properly).

We have ruled out the awning, both tables, seats and other possible causes.
I have removed and lubed the B pillar collars as well as checking the runners all of which appear correct.

With everything else removed from the van and one of us sat in the back the noise appears to be coming from the inside of the sliding door close to the handle/lock .

My next step is to strip the sliding door to find the noise. :confused:.
Does anyone know of any instructions for the Cali sliding door??

Andy
Hi Andy, mine sounds exactly the same. I’ve had it from new (Dec 2016) and this noise only developed a few months ago, so suggests something has worked loose. It’s very annoying..

Keep me posted if you work out the culprit and I’ll do the same.

Cheers
David

I also have had an intermittent rattle coming from what seems like the off side B post. It sounds like the source is located in the area near the upper drivers seat belt fixing.
Initially, I thought it was caused by the arms in the awning casing rattling or possibly the same but due to the rubber cushion pads having come off. However, regardless of numerous adjustments to the awning mechanism and re-sticking the rubber cushion pads, the noise persists. I am now inclined to think that the culprit maybe the top sliding door locating fitting. Unfortunately I haven't yet had the time to investigate.
The suspect upper sliding door location fitting can be seen on the B post in the top right of this photograph:
View attachment 28931
Questions:
1. Has anyone else had a similar rattle?
2. Was it caused by this upper sliding door location fixing?
3. Did adjustment cure the rattle?

Many thanks,
Paul
Something else to consider - the Awning casing itself. Where the two parts of the awning case come together when closing (See Photo). We found this a source of a rattle and put a thin cut strip of self adhesive velcro (loop side only) on the moving case part only. Silence!Awning-Rattle.jpg

Last edited:
I´ve got the rattle, only when on a rough road.
I´m riding awning-less over winter and the rattle is
still there.
So it´s not the awning on mine.

Something else to consider - the Awning casing itself. Where the two parts of the awning case come together when closing (See Photo). We found this a source of a rattle and put a thin cut strip of self adhesive velcro (loop side only) on the moving case part only. Silence!View attachment 28947
You may be onto something there Rik,
Our awning was a dealer fitted OE Thule awning. The same dealer hadn't specified an awning when they ordered it as their demo Beach. We had them fit it when we first bought the van, still unregistered. It probably wasn't fitted to the same exacting standards as it would have been in the factory as I have since had to make several adjustments to the fit. Anyway, I have noticed that when the rear of the cassette is closed tighly there is still a tiny bit of slack at the front. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, there doesn't appear to any means of adjusting (winding in at the front slightly), the fabric awning on the reel. I will try your idea as it might just be the answer.
Many thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
I´ve got the rattle, only when on a rough road.
I´m riding awning-less over winter and the rattle is
still there.
So it´s not the awning on mine.
Tomorrow I am also going to try closing the sliding door on our Cali with a wad of tissue paper jammed in the upper sliding door location fitting on the B post sliding door jam.
If it is this fitting that's causing the problem the wad of tissue paper should stop the rattle thus proving where it's coming from. I will post the results.

You may be onto something there Rick,
Our awning was a dealer fitted OE Thule awning. The same dealer hadn't specified an awning when they ordered it as their demo Beach. We had them fit it when we first bought the van, still unregistered. It probably wasn't fitted to the same exacting standards as it would have been in the factory as I have since had to make several adjustments to the fit. Anyway, I have noticed that when the rear of the cassette is closed tighly there is still a tiny bit of slack at the front. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, there doesn't appear to any means of adjusting (winding in at the front slightly), the fabric awning on the reel. I will try your idea as it might just be the answer.
Many thanks,
Paul
Your observation of there being some slack at the front of the cassette when the rear was closed tightly was my motivation to explore this as the potential elusive rattle. I wish for good results for you. Mine is still very quiet!! Rik

Your observation of there being some slack at the front of the cassette when the rear was closed tightly was my motivation to explore this as the potential elusive rattle. I wish for good results for you. Mine is still very quiet!! Rik
I sat in the back of my van this weekend when my son was driving, I was surprised at the amount and variety of rattles when on normal urban roads. The ride there appears to be subjectively firmer than in the front seats. I will be securing the shelves in the rear cupboard and fitting a thin pad on the awning side panel as noted above and see if that helps.

Have you tried greasing the upper and lower holes where the "prongs" on the door locate on the opening on the side of the b pillar? I have know these to rattle once the door is closed as they are spring loaded. Put some grease in the hole - not a lot or else it gets pushed out and can catch on your clothes, then open and close the door a few times. I have known this to work in the passed on T5's. Worth a shot.

I circled one of the holes using the picture above (thanks for posting that).

image.jpeg

My door rattles, it's definitely worse than when I first had the van 18+ months ago. The workshop I use said they could adjust it so I'll ask them to do that next time they have the Cali in for service. Not re
ally worth a special trip.

My creak / rattle was deemed to be coming from the catch mechanism on the sliding door. Again, some grease on there has helped.

I suggest the following - whilst having someone drive the van sit on the back bench and listen for the rattle / creak. Then apply pressure with knee & hand to push the sliding door out and see if that silences it. If it does then I think it will confirm some of what has already been discussed on this thread.

Thanks to everyone for their replies - it seems like I’m not alone and there’s some poor QC going on in the build process.

I’ll be trying some/all of the above at the weekend and if that fails I’ll raise it with the service centre when it goes in for its first service.

I have this very annoying rattle near my right ear when driving on rough patches of road. Don't have an awning fitted and have tried putting tension on the seat belt. Thought it might be the sliding window but still there when it's open.
Has anyone found a solution yet???