Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noise at speed

sbmcd

sbmcd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have noticed the noise level in the van at speed seems to be getting louder, sounds like it could be wheel bearings going, van has done 85k never had these done before, I would appreciate any experiences others have had with mileage and need for wheel bearings.

I have noticed the noise level in the van at speed seems to be getting louder, sounds like it could be wheel bearings going, van has done 85k never had these done before, I would appreciate any experiences others have had with mileage and need for wheel bearings.
Close to 100,000 miles in 5.5 years.4Motion, no problem.

How old is the vehicle?

EditEd to remove extra “0”.

Last edited:
Close to 1000,000 miles in 5.5 years.4Motion, no problem.

How old is the vehicle?
Useful thanks, presume you have one extra zero in there. My van is a 2014.

Last edited:
Where are your tyres up to? I've had horrible noises disappear with a new set of tyres.

Where are your tyres up to? I've had horrible noises disappear with a new set of tyres.
Michelin crossclimates with about 4 - 5 mm on them. I know my full winters are noisier than these.

Wearing CV joints? Like a rhythmical drumming?
Could be tyres - might be worth changing front to back, diagonally to see if noise disappears or changes?

As above, check the tyres. VWs are susceptible to scalloping (or cupping)at the rear which sounds exactly like a wheel bearing. Can be felt by running hand around inner edge, feels uneven and will feel like every 2nd or 3rd groove is sticking up a bit when going against the direction of travel. You can also see it when it gets worse. Can indicate an issue with worn suspension.

As above, check the tyres. VWs are susceptible to scalloping (or cupping)at the rear which sounds exactly like a wheel bearing. Can be felt by running hand around inner edge, feels uneven and will feel like every 2nd or 3rd groove is sticking up a bit when going against the direction of travel. You can also see it when it gets worse. Can indicate an issue with worn suspension.
Checked the rear tyres, look ok to me have seen this before on my A4's. I always swap back to front when I do my summer / winter tyre changes. I've attached photos.

IMG_20200713_184035.jpg

IMG_20200713_184024.jpg

Hard to tell from the phots but it looks to me like the front edge of each tread block is raised between the groove and sipe, by the ‘longitudinal’ sipe toward the inner edge. I’m not overly familiar with that tread pattern but that would tie in with what I’ve seen before on a number of sets of rear tyres, and would be enough to cause the noise. Not on my Cali but on a Passat. Mrs KB fixed the problem in the end by running into the vehicle in front and shortening the car by 12 inches or so :mad:. Does it feel uneven when you run your hand over it? If so, may just be your issue.

Last edited:
I had exactly this symptom on my then two year old Ocean. Sounded exactly like a wheel bearing, but was tyre wear. Problem was cured with a pair of new rear tyres. I also had the dealer do a tracking check (at their cost). Common issue apparently...

Van been in a VW today, rear nearside wheel bearing rumbling, no play yet, having both rear bearings done next week.

Van been in a VW today, rear nearside wheel bearing rumbling, no play yet, having both rear bearings done next week.
Good to know its not more serious.

Eh? You‘ve lost me......

Ah, the Cornish mizzle clears a little. No relation but it would seem a fellow county man has been hounded off the forum for speaking his mind. Some might see that as a little anti-Cornish and perhaps a little surprising given the spate of vitriolic and at times downright abusive conversations that have been going on over the past few months, seemingly without such intervention. Long time ago, he must have left a lasting impression.....

Hard to tell from the phots but it looks to me like the front edge of each tread block is raised between the groove and sipe, by the ‘longitudinal’ sipe toward the inner edge. I’m not overly familiar with that tread pattern but that would tie in with what I’ve seen before on a number of sets of rear tyres, and would be enough to cause the noise. Not on my Cali but on a Passat. Mrs KB fixed the problem in the end by running into the vehicle in front and shortening the car by 12 inches or so :mad:. Does it feel uneven when you run your hand over it? If so, may just be your issue.
Thanks but does not feel uneven at all, problem found to be nearside rear bearing.

Got both the van rear wheel bearings done by VW on Friday, noise has gone completely, bliss. It is surprising how much noise can come from one rumbling wheel bearing.

Back