Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Night Heater Consumption

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We had our first winter night in our new Cali last night and gave the night heater a go along with our new Comfortz topper as our little 15month Baber was sleeping up top. The heat output was incredible and warmed the whole van in no time.

I notice there is quite a drain on leisure batteries on start up, but we were both wondering what the fuel consumption is for the night heater, any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew.

It uses 0.25 l per hour on medium and 0.38l per hour on high heat settings :thumb

That is more than I thought, I was thinking it would be an excuse to go away more by telling partner that it costs a fraction to heat the van than the house, might have to tell her that anyway!

Shame it doesn't convert to electric when on hookup.

Thanks for detailed info.

A quarter of a litre per hour on medium -that's amazing, I am gona get one fitted in the living room at home and save on my gas bill!

I used to pay for hook up and use a little oil filled radiator not only is it something else to carry
the ehu probably worked out more expensive,not to mention the cali heater is awsome :thumb

Do you think they missed a trick by not including a generator in the heater function? After all there must be enough rotary movement to generate some electricity to help the battery topped up? Then you'd be able to wild camp for as long as you had diesel.

Arguably there is a diesel powered generator that you could use for that...

But that would just be something extra to carry, unload and pack away. (unless there is one you could mount underneath).
I was thinking it would only need enough output to replace the electricity it consumes, and power the fridge. Given you've already got the rotary action of a fan, I would have thought it was possible.

I meant the big enginey thing in the front...

I know what you mean but I thing the losses involved would mean it wouldn't be feasible.

Isn't all the rotary motion for the heater powered by the battery, e.g. fuel pump, fan etc? The diesel is just used for the actual heat. I guess, given heat, it is theoretically possible to create electricity but really you need an engine to this. In other words a generator.

Sorry I was a bit slow there...... Like my van......

If you are right and all the rotary action is from the battery, then i understand why they didn't include a generator! I thought that the fans rotation may be from the heat, once up to speed, Which is why the consumption falls once up and running, but you may well be right.

Power consumption falls after about 90 seconds as the glow plug is switched off. It is the glow plug that is pulling the current (noticeable as a voltage drop on your display) during the start phase of the heater.

Page 14 of this manual gives a good explanation of the D2L works. This was the heater on the early T4 Westys (and T3s), not sure about the later T4s, I think they may have gone onto the D3, but the theory will be the same (no idea what is on the T5 Calis. Probably some form of nuclear reactor).

http://westfaliat4.info/eberB2L-D2L.pdf

dan

wilupo7 said:
Sorry I was a bit slow there...... Like my van......

If you are right and all the rotary action is from the battery, then i understand why they didn't include a generator! I thought that the fans rotation may be from the heat, once up to speed, Which is why the consumption falls once up and running, but you may well be right.

I thought we were getting something for free there......like the cat with the buttered toast strapped to it's back, perpetual motion :laugh2

I think after about 45 mins the heater control unit reduces the fuel input to a low level.
If you're still awake after 45 mins of Eber heat then you're doing well :crazy

S

But that would just be something extra to carry, unload and pack away. (unless there is one you could mount underneath).
I was thinking it would only need enough output to replace the electricity it consumes, and power the fridge. Given you've already got the rotary action of a fan, I would have thought it was possible.
Actually you can get electricity from heat itself with Peltier element with one side very hot and another on freezing cold with radiator.
Not much though, with the size of heater might be below 50 watts/hour.
Starting an engine though, can give you ~ 1,5kilowatts/ hour at just 1 liter of diesel per hour. VW has 180amp alternators