Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newby!

Covade

Covade

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, thanks for the add, I'm based in West Midlands and was looking at buying a camper van converted from a T6.1 but having looked at the spec on the Ocean, I'm now having second thoughts and it seems to have all the goodies you'd need! Has anyone had a Cali and custom-build and is there pitfalls in buying a Cali?
Any advice great appreciated!

Hi Covade! Welcome.

No experience here, other then that we see quite some people on these forums who consider a conversion untill they add up the total cost and realise that an original factory build california is often no more expensive. Especially when you consider the resell-value of a california. Cali-prices have been going up though :-(

But of course it depends on what your specific wishes are. Luckily, like @AlisonF mentioned, your question gets asked often and answered often as well. Here's a few old threads, but there's many more. I'm sure there's several owners here who also owned a conversion and might be able to answer your question.

Welcome. We have been considering the conversion but realised that with a decent dealer discount (usually around 10-12%) original Cali with the same spec as a conversion we wanted was a better and cheaper (!) option. Although I think the decision depends on the individual needs. We are now waiting for a delivery of our Cali Ocean :)

We don't have a California. We thought hard and looked a lot. The California spec is good but it is fixed - like it or lump it. Eventually, after hiring one, we decided the California spec did not tick our boxes. We wanted extra space, so a LWB, hot water, a built in toilet, not keen on pop tops so a high top fully insulated. None of this is available in a California. So we went cautiously down the conversion route. One needs to be careful, there are excellent converters and rubbish ones. So we purchased a top spec T6 LWB 150 DSG and had it converted by a VW approved converter with full VW warranty on the vehicle and 3 year warranty on the conversion. Cost was about 15k less than a discounted California. However, this was less important that getting a van that ticked our boxes. We love what we have, not everyone will. On resale value, we have been offered, twice, more than we paid for it. Yes a small sample compared to resale Californias. We have had a couple of warranty issues re the conversion. But pleased to say the converter fixed the problems within 72 hours of contacting them and paid for my travel plus hotel to return the van for the fix. We are delighted, but we don't have a California and did not want one. There is no right or wrong, purchase what will suit your lifestyle.

Welcome on board @Covade . As others have said, you will need to determine what your needs are. We settled upon a Cali after having hired about 3 times. Read through the information on here. If unsure, hire a few - Cali and conversions.

Also, see what you want to use if for ... and can you combine the use of that with what you are passionate about ... from whittling wood to agility training to mountain biking to road cycling ... see what works best for you and then you will be able to take a better call.

For example, people who are passionate about mountain biking, prefer conversion as they can then keep their expensive bike inside the van and if an eBike then build items to charge the bike etc. For Dog Agility, people may prefer a beach versus an ocean ... as it affords them more space.

All the best with your hunt for a van and the decision making process :thumb

We don't have a California. We thought hard and looked a lot. The California spec is good but it is fixed - like it or lump it. Eventually, after hiring one, we decided the California spec did not tick our boxes. We wanted extra space, so a LWB, hot water, a built in toilet, not keen on pop tops so a high top fully insulated. None of this is available in a California. So we went cautiously down the conversion route. One needs to be careful, there are excellent converters and rubbish ones. So we purchased a top spec T6 LWB 150 DSG and had it converted by a VW approved converter with full VW warranty on the vehicle and 3 year warranty on the conversion. Cost was about 15k less than a discounted California. However, this was less important that getting a van that ticked our boxes. We love what we have, not everyone will. On resale value, we have been offered, twice, more than we paid for it. Yes a small sample compared to resale Californias. We have had a couple of warranty issues re the conversion. But pleased to say the converter fixed the problems within 72 hours of contacting them and paid for my travel plus hotel to return the van for the fix. We are delighted, but we don't have a California and did not want one. There is no right or wrong, purchase what will suit your lifestyle.
I hate to ask the obvious question. Why would you join the California forum if you don't have one and don't want one?

Very simple. Thought of getting one then changed our mind, lots of good advice and campervan experience here, helpful knowledgeable generous people. Many queries raised are about the T6 which is what we have. In short a good source of information.

Hi, thanks for the add, I'm based in West Midlands and was looking at buying a camper van converted from a T6.1 but having looked at the spec on the Ocean, I'm now having second thoughts and it seems to have all the goodies you'd need! Has anyone had a Cali and custom-build and is there pitfalls in buying a Cali?
Any advice great appreciated!
:welcome Welcome, we have had both a conversion and and a Cali, the conversion was a LWB T6 which I commissioned and designed absolutely loved it with its Hilo roof it looked more like a shuttle but I just couldn't live with the carpet walls on one side of the van.thumbnail_20170508_123459.jpgDSCN4533.JPG
The Cali on the other hand was in a league of it's own, light airy with a feel of quality but the real deal sealer for me was a 5 year warranty with one manufacturer.

thumbnail_20200619_134344.jpg
thumbnail_20200719_103000.jpg

A Grand California perhaps.

One aspect which is often not considered in the obvious "camping facility" differences between a converted van and a California is in the dash, front seats, carpet soundproofing and standard driving functions. Those alone as options on a basic van can add up to a considerable sum of money.

One aspect which is often not considered in the obvious "camping facility" differences between a converted van and a California is in the dash, front seats, carpet soundproofing and standard driving functions. Those alone as options on a basic van can add up to a considerable sum of money.
Exactly why we ended up ordering Cali. We wanted high spec car and a campervan in one. Conversions were usually very basic or with added options too expensive.

Again it is all down to the individual needs.

As you say Wildcamper, and we all know, it’s all down to personal requirements and i’m sure you’ll have amazing adventures.
For me the extra length and height of yours would be a bit of a negative. If going larger than a Cali I would have looked at Burstner or Hymer.
Did you specify solar?

P.s. if i’m camped up next to you can i use your hot shower :)

This is a California Forum so it is only right that the California is defended. However, the reality is not that black and white, provided one carefully selects a good converter. We purchased our new T6 Highline van with a bundle of goodies. One key cab difference is that we don't have the California/Caravelle dash, but this can be retrofitted for about £800. Our soundproofing is good, but again California quality sound proofing can be retrofitted. Our front seats were upgraded as part of the conversion. From what I recall of driving functions of the California we used, we have the same. The carpet criticism is valid for most conversions. We eliminated all wall carpeting except for one small patch round the window behind the driver, I should have eliminated this as well - my mistake. In all, our converted high spec van that ticked all our boxes was 15k lower cost than the best discounted California at the time. I think the reality is, choose what is right for you. Don't buy a California because it's a California and don't buy a conversion just because it's lower cost. Buy what you want to have.

As you say Wildcamper, and we all know, it’s all down to personal requirements and i’m sure you’ll have amazing adventures.
For me the extra length and height of yours would be a bit of a negative. If going larger than a Cali I would have looked at Burstner or Hymer.
Did you specify solar?

Yes, we have solar.

Did you specify solar?

It's so important to have a choice that suits the individual.

Thanks everyone for your comments, defo going to go for a SWB van as it'll fit on our drive. We did hire a converted T6 for a weekend last year and altho' we had a good time, it was a bit basic and i took an immediate dislike to the grey polyester carpet! The plan now is to hire an Ocean later this year for a week and see how we get on with it. If we go for a conversion I think it'll be with someone like Ecowagon or Three Bridges, from what I've seen, they're top quality. Watch this space......

I hate to ask the obvious question. Why would you join the California forum if you don't have one and don't want one?
I'm looking for views from people who have experience of both so I can make an informed decision , I'm also follow the VW T6 Forum.