Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie here

T

Thomhen

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi everyone, haven't been on the site long and have already discovered a wealth of knowledge - answering questions I didn't even know I had :)

Currently looking/arguing for which way to go - Conversion or Ocean / new or used - suggestions welcome.

With two kids, the 4 seater option will be fine atm however if we were to expand our family, can anyone advise if you can arrange for the 5th seat and track to be installed at a later date?

Appreciate any advice
Thanks

Welcome! If you are in no huge rush, order a new 6.1 with circa 10% discount. Cheaper than some asking prices for used T6’s! I’d probably go Coast long term for the manual roof.

Welcome! If you are in no huge rush, order a new 6.1 with circa 10% discount. Cheaper than some asking prices for used T6’s! I’d probably go Coast long term for the manual roof.
Thanks for the info - now looking at Coasts to add to the argument.
Is VW currently offering that discount on new orders?
Has there been problems with the electric roof long term?

Thanks

Thanks for the info - now looking at Coasts to add to the argument.
Is VW currently offering that discount on new orders?
Has there been problems with the electric roof long term?

Thanks

Lots of recent threads about electric roof problems. Fine I guess if running inside warranty (apart from the hassle) but hugely expensive if not.

For a benchmark price, get a quote from drive the deal and autoebid.

Additional seats can be added (occasionally for sale on here). I think not possible with 4 Motion as you only have 2 rails and need 3.
Again posts around on the forum on ease of use / removing for camping, etc.

EDIT : :welcome

Hi everyone, haven't been on the site long and have already discovered a wealth of knowledge - answering questions I didn't even know I had :)

Currently looking/arguing for which way to go - Conversion or Ocean / new or used - suggestions welcome.

With two kids, the 4 seater option will be fine atm however if we were to expand our family, can anyone advise if you can arrange for the 5th seat and track to be installed at a later date?

Appreciate any advice
Thanks
V

Hi, I was going through the same thoughts before I purchased my Cali in June.

Conversions - some really nice stuff out there, but prices are close to Ocean prices £45K for the best ones and not specified as heavy. Most conversions are on the cheaper 102BHP, 5 spead Trendline and this is how the converters make their money buying the cheaper base van. My mate who has a conversion says the door is on the wrong side for the passengers on a Cali and I guess this would be a consideration if you have small children.

Just taken away my two teenagers with us for a week and would say it was a bit cramped for 4 of us, especially when they don't cook or clear up! An awning is a must for this.

I didn't think I would make much use of the heater, but it has come in really handly when it gets a bit chilly at night and wouldn't be without one now.

The roof on the Cali is not a problem, I must of had mine up and down over 50 times already showing it off without a single hiccup.

The fit and finish of a Cali as opposed to a conversion is better in my opinion as it looks designed rather than added on.

Residuals should hold better than conversion.

I purchased my Cali 2 years old as could not afford a new one, but it was immaculate and most are owned by enthusiasts who like to keep them clean and even stored by many!

Good luck in finding one, they are tough to get hold of at the moment.

The electric / hydraulic roof is remarkably trouble free given the mind warping and unnecessarily over complex design of it. I hope I don't jinx mine.

Appreciate any advice
Thanks

If you look at a conversion next to an Ocean/Coast you will quickly make your own decision.

You might to want to also consider a Beach then you have more flexibility, space, 7 seat option & manual roof. The rear bench seat is more shaped in a Beach (3 seat bench version) , spans full width of the van so give the kids more shoulder room, and gives you a bigger downstairs bed. Older Beaches are more likely to have more options such as camping heaters fitted; Alot of the newer ones tend to have a more basic spec.

Back