Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Tyres

I

Icecream Pete

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All,

First post! Bought my Ocean new October 2019 and will need new tyres in the next couple of months, any suggestions for best grip and longevity.

Cheers

Hi All,

First post! Bought my Ocean new October 2019 and will need new tyres in the next couple of months, any suggestions for best grip and longevity.

Cheers
Lots of posts on this. We have Michelin Agilis Cross Climate. Very happy. If you look around you may find an offer, look on the Michelin UK site.

are they 17 inch you are after ?

have some Continental Van Contact Eco that came off the van in Feb ( approx 300 miles )

Depends on what you have fitted currently, size that is.

Full set or just front being replaced?

235/55/17 Michelin & Goodyear are well favoured. SUV versions are more suited to the weight of Cali's as they have stronger sidewall than car version.

I'm running slightly oversized (height) 235/60/17 106V Michelin Crossclimate SUV tyres. Bit noisier that previous Nokian All Season tyres but better ride (potholes) and response to steering.

Lots of posts on this. We have Michelin Agilis Cross Climate. Very happy. If you look around you may find an offer, look on the Michelin UK site.
Second Michelin Agilis Cross Climate. Looks like it's the best option at the moment

are they 17 inch you are after ?

have some Continental Van Contact Eco that came off the van in Feb ( approx 300 miles )
Interested in these but don’t seem to be able to PM you

Hi All,

Cheers
Hi there,

We also bought a new Cali in October 2019 and have just swapped all four factory fit tyres out for Michelin CrossClimate. So far we are very happy with them.

I love our ContI Van Contacts we’ve had for 3 years because they are incredibly quiet. Like almost silent.
They look good on paper so good to know they’re decent. In the process of having a new engine fitted (EGR-related oil consumption) and lowering, so am feeling the pinch and not sure how it’ll look with current 17s and don’t want to invest in a new set at the moment.

Van contacts hopeless on wet grass or mud in my experience. Wear well though. Good grip on wet on tarmac. Pretty quiet too. But we have the 215s and ride is a bit harsh especially empty. I’m going 235s next time to run lower pressure. Probably cross climates for more grip on soggy campsites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second Michelin Agilis Cross Climate. Looks like it's the best option at the moment
I have them also, stellar in snow and ice. Reenforced sidewalls, designed for light vans.

I wouldn’t be to picky when it comes to tires. Of course you have to decide if you want summer, winter or all season tires, but besides that, just choose the best deal you can get from a supplier that can provide you with a decent A or B brand tire. Unless you’re driving a Cali “on the edge” all these tires will do just fine…

I disagree with Pollewop and suggest you are very picky with tyres. They are the only part of the vehicle in contact with the road and that contact us paramount when considering safety. Not all tyres, even if they meet the National Standard, are equally safe.

I disagree with Pollewop and suggest you are very picky with tyres. They are the only part of the vehicle in contact with the road and that contact us paramount when considering safety. Not all tyres, even if they meet the National Standard, are equally safe.
I once brought a car with buget premium tyres on the front and real cheap rear tyres. I took the car back twice for an oversteer problem in the wet, all ok.
Changed the tyres for the same as front, no issues with oversteer. There are a few blackspot round us for accidents on bends and sure cheap tyres play a partnas I have never had an issue on premium tyres such as Goodyear or Michelin in 9years of commuting.

I disagree with Pollewop and suggest you are very picky with tyres. They are the only part of the vehicle in contact with the road and that contact us paramount when considering safety.
Pollewop didn’t suggest getting crap tyres, he suggested just get the best deal you can on decent tyres.

I’ve generally gone for Cooper or Avon which I’ve seen as upper mid range but far better value than equivalent spec from premium brands because for a lot less you can get an equivalent tyre. I’ve had a couple of very quick cars that I only ran Pirelli’s or Michelin’s on but choice was limited and I did enjoy driving them as intended. I’d agree with Pollewop for the first sentiment but don’t disagree with Wildcamper that it’s not really a place to scrimp either. Rolling round in a £40k van with your loved ones it seems disproportionate to save £200 and compromise everything. Gutted as I saw this ridiculously good deal online and stupidly hesitated - suffice to say it wasn’t there the next day!

B3789029-295C-4735-A604-84AE32D4E3B6.png

Remember that the load rating is very important. For the Cali ,I believe they should be 103 or higher. 99 is 100kg to low per wheel.

I got 4 new Bridgestone all season tyres on 4 new devenport alloy wheels for about the same cost as 4 new tyres. Worth looking out for as a number of wheels off of new transporters and Cali's get taken straight off and sold.