New travel restrictions

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Gov.uk has published new guidance for restrictions proposed to come into force from 5 November. For California owners a very relevant section is this:

Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed. This includes holidays abroad and in the UK. It also means you cannot stay in a second home, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with. There are specific exceptions, for example if you need to stay away from home (including in a second home) for work purposes, but this means people cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons.

However, day trips for exercise or recreation seems to be actively encouraged

You can exercise or visit outdoor public places with the people you live with, your support bubble, or 1 person from another household (children under school age, as well as those dependent on round-the-clock care, such as those with severe disabilities, who are with their parents will not count towards the limit on two people meeting outside).

Outdoor public places include:

parks, beaches, countryside,
public gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them), allotments
playgrounds
You cannot meet in a private garden.

But travel should be local:

You should avoid travelling in or out of your local area, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:

[...]

- exercise, if you need to make a short journey to do so

Note that all the above is guidance and quite possibly not all will be enshrined in law.

Last edited:
Thanks Amarillo.
Spoken with my dealership (Eurovans Crawley) this morning and whilst the showroom will be closed, their back office and workshops look likely to remain open throughout lockdown. I assume other van centres will do the same. Good news for anybody who’s van is imminent (mine’s currently enroute from Sheerness to Crawley). If Covid travel restrictions mean that I cannot travel to Crawley to collect, they say they can deliver to my home address (waiting for a price).

Thanks Amarillo.
Spoken with my dealership (Eurovans Crawley) this morning and whilst the showroom will be closed, their back office and workshops look likely to remain open throughout lockdown. I assume other van centres will do the same. Good news for anybody who’s van is imminent (mine’s currently enroute from Sheerness to Crawley). If Covid travel restrictions mean that I cannot travel to Crawley to collect, they say they can deliver to my home address (waiting for a price).
I'm sure they'll enjoy a quick blast up the motorway, unless of course they use a low loader. Hopefully they do.

Hopefully I’ll have mine in a week or so and can spend lockdown on my driveway installing my pile of accessories. Might even risk the ridicule of my neighbours and give sleeping in it a go :)

Thanks Amarillo.

Collecting pre ordered shopping is fine. It is browsing for non essentials which is likely to be restricted.

Thanks Amarillo.
I am in a similar situation, albeit a little behind your order. Mine is supposedly at port of exit as of last Saturday and I am awaiting a response from SMG Tonbridge as to where I stand. Mine unfortunately will have no chance of dealer arrival before lockdown starts.

I am in a similar situation, albeit a little behind your order. Mine is supposedly at port of exit as of last Saturday and I am awaiting a response from SMG Tonbridge as to where I stand. Mine unfortunately will have no chance of dealer arrival before lockdown starts.
Check with your dealership - they may be staying open.

Good afternoon,

Welcome in the club.

I lost a wee bit the sense of time, but I believe we are in our 2nd (or even 3rd) week of a kind of lockdown.

By law we only are allowed to travel 5 km from home! Further travels is only allowed if there is a very good reason (eg. work, shopping, etc.). Traveling for recreation is not part of it. This can be enforced by the Gards (I believe the fine can be up to EUR 75.00 on the spot).

Stay save!
Eberhard

I’m absolutely gutted. Had 5 days travel around Lake District planned. Looks like shorter day trips.
Need to get away from the house for sanity.

I’m absolutely gutted. Had 5 days travel around Lake District planned. Looks like shorter day trips.
Need to get away from the house for sanity.

I would have liked to conquer Helvellyn with my six year old this Saturday as fine weather is forecast. No chance of that now as we live in south London and an overnight stay would be required.

SMG Cowfold is open. No mingling around the showroom but Covid safe practices are in place so they can stay open apparently.

Alfie is being collected on Friday for a workshop visit and will be returned appropriately sanitised.

SMG Cowfold is open. No mingling around the showroom but Covid safe practices are in place so they can stay open apparently.

Alfie is being collected on Friday for a workshop visit and will be returned appropriately sanitised.
I would be surprised if their showroom is allowed to remain open beyond 5 November for sales, perhaps incidental browsing while booking a service or other maintenance or repair, but not for general new or used sales.

I would be surprised if their showroom is allowed to remain open beyond 5 November for sales, perhaps incidental browsing while booking a service or other maintenance or repair, but not for general new or used sales.

Yes, I would to.

However for the purpose of new vehicle collection it could be a different scenario. My truly expert opinion is I don't know, was just pointing out some parts are still with us :)

Hopefully I’ll have mine in a week or so and can spend lockdown on my driveway installing my pile of accessories. Might even risk the ridicule of my neighbours and give sleeping in it a go :)

I picked up my Cali on Saturday and slept in it on my drive the first night. Planning to tomorrow as well with my son. A real staycation!

Thank god that they have not classified the Cali as a second home ... back to evenings in the Cali on the drive. It is good fun, especially in Winters.
Thinking of having Christmas dinner in our on the drive since there can only be two of us :D Mind you I need it from the factory yet!

I'm sure they'll enjoy a quick blast up the motorway, unless of course they use a low loader. Hopefully they do.
Eurovans delivered my van but it was just someone paid to drive and then had to find his own way back. I called him a cab. It cost me £150 but saved me about half that in train fares and a day's holiday.

Eurovans delivered my van but it was just someone paid to drive and then had to find his own way back. I called him a cab. It cost me £150 but saved me about half that in train fares and a day's holiday.

Time to start rating dealers based on their CSR (Corporate "Social Responsibility") as well? Sending a driver and then leaving him/her to find their own way back home is pretty dire in my view.

When Breeze had to send me a replacement van for my delayed delivery, they sent an accompanying car/driver to get the van driver back ... if not all the way back, at least to the nearest train station.

Back