Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6 California

T6LB

T6LB

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi everyone,
I have just taken delivery of my 2016 4motion California and I love it already but I need some advice it is currently on 17inch alloys i have a new set of 20inch Range Rover alloys that will fit is it a good idea or will it affect the ride and off road capability

Thanks Lee

Hi everyone,
I have just taken delivery of my 2016 4motion California and I love it already but I need some advice it is currently on 17inch alloys i have a new set of 20inch Range Rover alloys that will fit is it a good idea or will it affect the ride and off road capability

Thanks Lee
Hi Lee, someone wiser than me will answer the question but good luck with your new Cali ...I am waiting for mine but meanwhile I know I want to buy another set of alloys to keep winter tires on, so if you do change your wheel size and sell the alloys I would be interested .

Hello Lee and welcome. Have a look at some of the threads by doing a search and you will find lots of discussions on this issue.

My view is that going to 18 will have an effect but that may be acceptable. Going beyond 18 is questionable. Like I said there are lots of opinions on the issue and my mind has been made up from what I've read and some common sense. Without doubt you are going to feel the pot holes more and kerbing the 20" alloys could be an issue. It's a trade off. Anyway welcome and enjoy the reading.

Mike

Hi Lee and welcome. Many on the T4/5 forum have fitted 20" RR wheels and they undoubtedly look cool. My Caravelle has 18" wheels which came standard from the factory. I have stuck with 17's on my order for the new Cali, mainly for cost reasons (both wheels and tyres) but also because the California inspires me towards a different lifestyle where bigger is not necessarily better and function wins over form. Or maybe I'm just getting old!

Welcome
Lots to read on bling-bling wheels and pimp my ride on the forum, just remember it's actually a campervan .
I prefer functionality above looks , but each thiere own offcoarse;)

Hi everyone,

Thanks Lee
Welcome to the Forum.
As far as your intension to fit 20" wheels and tyres.
Car Manufacturers are out to make money so there is a very good reason why VW only offer 16",17" and 18" wheels with the T6.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic...the-size-of-the-wheels-and-tyres-on-your-car/

Just be aware that there are significant downsides, but it is really upto you and your pocket.

Hello Lee

I am currently running 20 RR alloys on a shuttle and can say that they look really good however that's only after the springs were changed to 40mm lower type as the 20s didn't look right with a large space between tyre and arch.

The down side is the ride for me, which is a lot firmer and bumpier!! but if your a "style over comfort" person...

Only ordered 17s but bigger alloys is at the back of my mind!!!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks Lee
No it isn't a good idea and yes it will effect the ride and not in a good way.

After some reaserch and listening to much wiser and experienced California owners I am going to opt for some 18inch alloys I am currently looking at different pictures I am all for practicality but love the trendy looks even at 46 lol

I have no interest in looks, but then I'm not a bloke.

Rubber and the quality of it between me and the road is what hogs my interest. Albert is an enormously safe vehicle. I have tested two if my 17" tyres to instant and total destruction and the vehicle and it's wheels survived. I have ripped a big chunk of the sidewall out of a third and managed to drive quite a long distant to get an instant replacement.

I have little tyre noise, achieve well within the expected range of fuel consumption, can stop without crushing the vehicle in front, can have massive collisions with debris in the road and survive and have a very nice AA/RAC man turn up to change a tyre for me when needed so what more do I want?

However, that said, I do not suffer from "look at my wheels" syndrome, as you will note from the comments to this video here

I totally agree safety outdoes bling evertime, that said if I can have looks and safety I will try otherwise I'm with you Jen.

The link that I attached to my last post is for an Irish car reviewer called Bob Flavin.

We have had an online sparring contest for three years, ever since I saw his review on a Cali here.

The guy beats Clarkson hands down.

Your knowledge is so valuable Jen, so here is a question how do I buy cutlery that dose not rattle in my draw, as a man I was going to tape them together lol

Your knowledge is so valuable Jen, so here is a question how do I buy cutlery that dose not rattle in my draw, as a man I was going to tape them together lol
Buy a cutlery tray, then you won't get rattles or rattled....

I got an IKEA set + bottle and tin opener and kitchen knives in the cutlery draw. Hasn't rattled once.
Don't go down the plastic cutlery route. We California owners have to maintain standards.

I started off using ceramic handled heavy duty stuff. It suited the Royal Doulton china that I carted around.

Then I got sick of washing up and turned to plastic plates.

They went dim and I got thoroughly fed up cleaning tea stains off melamine cups... and yes, I have heard of steradent as a cleaning agent.

Now? I use bagasse disposable crockery, eco-friendly bio-degradable disposables that means no washing up, no needing litres of water, can be used as handy trays when depositing small items in the fridge and don't rattle in transit: Most of my utensils are disposable, I keep a couple of sharp knives, decent forks, a corkscrew, scissors etc in metal but those are buried beneath mostly non-rattle disposables, my crockery drawer is covered with a tea towel to stop bits jumping up and clattering the underneath of the sink,

My life is a dream. I have no noise, no clatter and no washing up from that area of the Cali.

I

I got an IKEA set + bottle and tin opener and kitchen knives in the cutlery draw. Hasn't rattled once.
Don't go down the plastic cutlery route. We California owners have to maintain standards.

Goodness,

Do they use knives and forks north of Watford gap?

Don't know. I'm South of Watford.;)

I am only reciprocating from a previous post of yours.

Both Caratacus and Ostorius probably had no idea where Watford gap is, as do most of those from that area today.

Last edited:
We have 3 sets of knifes and forks and they are all to long for our cutlery tray ! Is there any others out there with longer partions

Back