Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

We’ve just pushed the button on a coast last week. Delivery has been quoted as circa 20 weeks, but “could be as soon as 4 months”. What’s people’s best guess? In my head I’m thinking it’ll be July as I don’t want to get my hopes up based on what I’ve read here...

We’ve just pushed the button on a coast last week. Delivery has been quoted as circa 20 weeks, but “could be as soon as 4 months”. What’s people’s best guess? In my head I’m thinking it’ll be July as I don’t want to get my hopes up based on what I’ve read here...
Hi Steve, we were originally quoted 4 months back in November, but my latest online chat session revealed that our provisional build date is now June 7th. We have everything crossed that it might be less than that once the week is confirmed. They also told me to expect 6-10 weeks from the start of the build through to delivery at the dealers. Really difficult to say at the moment, as the story changes from week to week. Lets hope we both get a result before the summer is missed eh? Good luck.

This is odd because I've spoken to Tonbridge VW this week who said if I ordered this week I would have the van by mid April!! So how can this be when existing orders are being told June?
Hi I ordered from Tonbridge in Oct at the time was given first week of April still have no build date. Will be chasing again next week.

Hi I ordered from Tonbridge in Oct at the time was given first week of April still have no build date. Will be chasing again next week.
That's interesting Bill, we ordered from SMG too, so I'd be keen to hear Martin or Matt's updates.

Latest update from vw chat for anyone else with a van sitting in the factory for longer than 2 weeks.

Mine is Week 49 build (30th Nov) so 8 weeks in the factory:

Beth01:31 PM

Thank you for waiting Lukasz. So I have just spoken with our Sales Support Team who have checked your order and they advised that there is a delay on your vehicle at the moment due to a component delay issue, most likely caused by COVID. At the moment we do not have a timescale for how long it will take however, they did say that they have started seeing orders from previous weeks moving through now, so it does look like the components are starting to arrive, and they will be working through the backlog of orders to get these done as soon as possible. Your order will be marked as priority so hopefully we should have a new update for you in the next couple of weeks.
Interesting to hear this, my Coast has been in build since week 51, VW chat just say it's probably waiting for a component but can't give timescales. My dealer however said they are expecting a batch of vans built over Christmas to be released from the factory this week and he fully expects my van to be included in this, hopefully yours too *fingers crossed*
My EDD was 1 Feb and I've always said I don't mind waiting beyond this but kind of want it in March !

Your head seems to be on just about straight... but some are getting them sooner (and some later ...) seems like a lottery partly based on options

Interesting to hear this, my Coast has been in build since week 51, VW chat just say it's probably waiting for a component but can't give timescales. My dealer however said they are expecting a batch of vans built over Christmas to be released from the factory this week and he fully expects my van to be included in this, hopefully yours too *fingers crossed*
My EDD was 1 Feb and I've always said I don't mind waiting beyond this but kind of want it in March !
This ‘probably’ guesswork is where the frustration lies for me. The dealers should be able to have customers questions answered...
I think you normally have 28 days to take delivery after it arrives at the dealer, though I’d hope they’d extend that by a few if it allowed a March registration (and given THEIR delays)...

This ‘probably’ guesswork is where the frustration lies for me. The dealers should be able to have customers questions answered...
I think you normally have 28 days to take delivery after it arrives at the dealer, though I’d hope they’d extend that by a few if it allowed a March registration (and given THEIR delays)...
The dealer has already agreed to hold the van until the 1st March although at this rate it's seems unlikely to arrive much before then anyway

I think it's helpful for context that VW has announced that it's closing down the Hannover factory to convert it to production of the 2021 T7 small car based Sharan replacement and the Buzz electric van. Production of the T6 is being farmed out to a Ford plant in Turkey until the 2024 Ford Transit rebadged as a VW Transporter comes to market. Total chaos is the norm.

I think it's helpful for context that VW has announced that it's closing down the Hannover factory to convert it to production of the 2021 T7 small car based Sharan replacement and the Buzz electric van. Production of the T6 is being farmed out to a Ford plant in Turkey until the 2024 Ford Transit rebadged as a VW Transporter comes to market. Total chaos is the norm.
A quick Google doesn’t concur with the context provided here?

Hannover is expanding its capability and adding production lines rather than closing. T6.1 or California isn’t affected - at least in the timeframe within 2021 that this post is about.

But I would agree - there is plenty of chaos based on demand and COVID but not the factory closure and outsourcing suggested.

Hannover is expanding its capability and adding production lines rather than closing. T6.1 or California isn’t affected - at least in the timeframe within 2021 that this post is about.

But I would agree - there is plenty of chaos based on demand and COVID but not the factory closure and outsourcing suggested.

Hi @clarinetbcn, thanks - have read both links and just don’t reach the same conclusion you do.

I read that the Hannover factory is being adapted and expanded to add new production lines for Buzz, T7 MPV and new E vehicle platforms.

And that Ford have not confirmed the transporter is to be built in Turkey.

There is no mention the T6.1 and California production is closing or moving.

The Hannover factory won an internal tender to secure e700m of investment to do to develop the site - not close it.

My view, is that the current delay cause is unrelated to the development of the factory. That’s all.

Hi @clarinetbcn, thanks - have read both links and just don’t reach the same conclusion you do.

I read that the Hannover factory is being adapted and expanded to add new production lines for Buzz, T7 MPV and new E vehicle platforms.

The Hannover factory won an internal tender to secure e700m of investment to do to develop the site - not close it.

My view, is that the current delay cause is unrelated to the development of the factory. That’s all.
That would be good news. Do you have any links to the info about production at the Hannover factory being expanded? My understanding was that 6.1 production was being closed down to make room for production of the car based small T7 ans the Buzz.

Here’s a few links for you:

Cheers, SB

Here’s a few links for you:

Cheers, SB
"Meanwhile Bertina Murkovic, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles’ works council chair, said the site had been forced to compete with other VW Group factories for the chance to build the new electric SUVs.

“The competition with other Group brands was tough,” she said. “But ultimately, backed by our site agreement and with our expertise in quality production we were able to win these products for Hannover. A level of utilisation that, as agreed, ensures our employment levels along the demographic curve has thus been secured for the coming years. The new Multivan, the ID. Buzz and now the D-SUVs are our portfolio for this decade. No greater security than this could be established at the current time for the location or the workforce.”

No mention of the 6.1 continuing to be produced at the Hannover plant (the new Multivan is the smaller car based T7).

"Meanwhile Bertina Murkovic, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles’ works council chair, said the site had been forced to compete with other VW Group factories for the chance to build the new electric SUVs.

“The competition with other Group brands was tough,” she said. “But ultimately, backed by our site agreement and with our expertise in quality production we were able to win these products for Hannover. A level of utilisation that, as agreed, ensures our employment levels along the demographic curve has thus been secured for the coming years. The new Multivan, the ID. Buzz and now the D-SUVs are our portfolio for this decade. No greater security than this could be established at the current time for the location or the workforce.”

No mention of the 6.1 continuing to be produced at the Hannover plant (the new Multivan is the smaller car based T7).
No mention that they will continue to serve currywurst in the canteen either :) but I’m pretty sure they will.

The T7 California will happen at some point, of course it will. But this thread is about delays to 6.1 builds - clearly those with orders aren’t concerned with the future T7 - we want clarity when we’re getting our 6.1 versions.

All I am saying is that (in my humble opinion) 2021 deliveries are not being delayed due to the Hannover California factory either being closed down, the T6:1 being phased out immediately or the production line being dismantled and shipped to Turkey.

I just thought it was worth a reply - so as not to scare the horses and potentially unsettle others scratching their heads as to why their orders are taking longer than envisaged.

My view - Production is down, the RDE2 204 engine is in delay, COVID is impacting supply chains and the volume of orders is rumoured to be three times the normal demand at this time of year.

We have to wait - or vote with our feet!

Cheers, SB

All I am saying is that (in my humble opinion) 2021 deliveries are not being delayed due to the Hannover California factory either being closed down, the T6:1 being phased out immediately or the production line being dismantled and shipped to Turkey.

Fair enough, I hope I'm wrong. But there is a whole lot of info out there about 6.1 production being closed down in Hannover (no one has ever said that the California factory, a separate facility from the 6.1 assembly plant, is being closed). If I were thinking about ordering now and encountered the current chaos of conflicting info between the factory and the dealerships, I would take a look at what is happening with the actual manufacture of the product. Is there a head in sand emoji?

Last edited:
What is the advantage of pushing for a March registration? Our coast may be coming mid/late Feb and I was intending to just pick it up as soon as possible. Is it just to have a ‘21 plate, or is there some other reason? Apologies if this is blindingly obvious, I’ve never had a new car before!

What is the advantage of pushing for a March registration? Our coast may be coming mid/late Feb and I was intending to just pick it up as soon as possible. Is it just to have a ‘21 plate, or is there some other reason? Apologies if this is blindingly obvious, I’ve never had a new car before!
Just the new plate, I would imagine.

The following is highly unlikely but worth checking for the sake of a 5 minute call to the dealer. Check that your van is going to be registered as a "Private Lights Goods" vehicle and that there hasn't been some Government Budget change in the last few weeks that means another change is occurring on 1 March 2021 i.e. a more expensive change for you. PLG should be costing you £265/275 for the first year and every year thereafter.

Yes, just the plate. I'm not sure what difference it makes these days, but waiting a few days/weeks to register it on 1 March (esp when you can't use it in lockdown) might be worth a few quid on re-sale?
I've never bought a new car either, and sold my last car in 2004, so perhaps my thinking is stuck in last Century ("Honda Civic on an L-plate...")

Last edited:
The following is highly unlikely but worth checking for the sake of a 5 minute call to the dealer. Check that your van is going to be registered as a "Private Lights Goods" vehicle and that there hasn't been some Government Budget change in the last few weeks that means another change is occurring on 1 March 2021 i.e. a more expensive change for you. PLG should be costing you £265/275 for the first year and every year thereafter.
The proposed VED changes for 1st Registration Campervans/Motor homes due to come in 1st April 2021 have been postponed. The change was to start taxing based on emissions so I gather.

Yes, just the plate. I'm not sure what difference it makes these days, but waiting a few days/weeks to register it on 1 March (esp when you can't use it in lockdown) might be worth a few quid on re-sale?
I've never bought a new car either, and sold my last car in 2004, so perhaps my thinking is stuck in last Century ("Honda Civic on an L-plate...")
If you've got the option why take an early delivery? At least wait for 21 plate, if not delay registration as long as possible. You can't go away camping, you've got to tax and insure it. It will affect it's value, especially in the early years.
Enjoy the anticipation!

Just had an unexpected call from VW Commercial Vehicles, to answer a question I apparently asked (must've been ages ago) whether my 150 will be RDE2 compliant. He confirmed it will be.
I took the opportunity to ask about my order, and he came back 30 mins later to say although it is Code 10 (unconfirmed build date) officially, behind the scenes it is Code 20 (confirmed date) Week 14. After having 6 unconfirmed build weeks, lets hope he's correct.
He said the last change from week 8 to week 14 was to accommodate some 204 orders placed before me. Fair enough, but terrible communication from VW, for which he apologised.

Back