Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I've been told by my dealer today that my 204 4-Mo is going into production next week. I ordered early Sept, so I'm assuming that I didn't miss out on the 199 by much and might have been near the top of the 204 "list".

Given the number of random things that people are being told, I'll temper my excitement until it's actually being built :)

Might be worth mentioning that other than the bigger fuel tank, it's pretty much a standard build Ocean.
I wish i knew what i had to do to get a result like this.

i was thinking of ordering a second van to see if it gets to the front of the queue quicker.

Did you order in September too? I'm just hoping they stick to their idea of building them in order ... lots of September orders getting build dates, so I'm hoping my October 8 order wont be long...

i was thinking of ordering a second van to see if it gets to the front of the queue quicker.
Be worth it to sell with delivery mileage and make £10k if you've got the means

i would only ever actually have to shell out the cash for one of them the other i would just drop or use the proceeds from the first to fund the second.

I do toy with concept and would reluctantly but in some respects happily shell out anther £1k deposit, to establish if it just something weird that is going on with my specific order.

Really hacks me off that people are talking about July deliveries for brand new orders, when mine will be an August or perhaps September delivery based on current projections.

i would only ever actually have to shell out the cash for one of them the other i would just drop or use the proceeds from the first to fund the second.

I do toy with concept and would reluctantly but in some respects happily shell out anther £1k deposit, to establish if it just something weird that is going on with my specific order.

Really hacks me off that people are talking about July deliveries for brand new orders, when mine will be an August or perhaps September delivery based on current projections.
Does seem out of kilter with others. Where is your info coming from, VW chat or the dealer? And do you know when your order was actually submitted by the dealer and accepted by the factory? Wouldn’t be the first time an order has been held back by the dealer, allocation or targets etc.. May be worth checking.

I suspect the "July delivery" for new orders is just crooked marketing. VW commercial don't seem to know anything about why Hanover is struggling (realise some dealers have more insight), so how they can promise July I don't know.
Nothing to lose and a lot to gain with a second order?

It can't be because of the 4 Motion - too may confirmed orders now. Maybe it's the more complicated electronic options such as the differential lock (EDL)? Some years ago I ordered identical cars with my brother on the same day, at the same time. His order was delayed months by the addition of rather expensive tech options?

Does having a pdf of an A4 sheet titled 'Vehicle Detail', including an order number, an 'Acce. date' and the options etc mean the order has been accepted?
Does seem out of kilter with others. Where is your info coming from, VW chat or the dealer? And do you know when your order was actually submitted by the dealer and accepted by the factory? Wouldn’t be the first time an order has been held back by the dealer, allocation or targets etc.. May be worth checking.

Oder placed September 24th and accepted by the factory on October 2nd. Dealer says no build date assigned, but that they are continually checking ( they have said that since october). VW chat says week 30 and have previously given me in reverse order Week 30 ( this weeks update) Week 24 ( end of last week) Week 10 ( beginning of last week), Week 24 in January, No week allocated for most of last years updates with the odd hiccup of a surprise date given then quickly rescinded.

It can't be because of the 4 Motion - too may confirmed orders now. Maybe it's the more complicated electronic options such as the differential lock (EDL)? Some years ago I ordered identical cars with my brother on the same day, at the same time. His order was delayed months by the addition of rather expensive tech options?
Doubt it’s diff lock. I have a week 10 (4-6-11-10) 4Motion with diff lock ordered in august but discovered not confirmed by the factory until 1st October. This was the only dealer local-ish taking orders and giving good discounts which may explain why there was a delay that I didn’t see...

Oder placed September 24th and accepted by the factory on October 2nd. Dealer says no build date assigned, but that they are continually checking ( they have said that since october). VW chat says week 30 and have previously given me in reverse order Week 30 ( this weeks update) Week 24 ( end of last week) Week 10 ( beginning of last week), Week 24 in January, No week allocated for most of last years updates with the odd hiccup of a surprise date given then quickly rescinded.
Fingers crossed it’s just the week jumping round and you’ll get something firmed up much sooner. May start building a little confidence and clarity when the first few start rolling off the line; we’ll see.

Doubt it’s diff lock. I have a week 10 (4-6-11-10) 4Motion with diff lock ordered in august but discovered not confirmed by the factory until 1st October. This was the only dealer local-ish taking orders and giving good discounts which may explain why there was a delay that I didn’t see...
Can’t be that then...#clutchingatstraws?

I feel almost guilty posting this on this thread, as everyone is going through so many emotions with the huge VW delays. But I did post on here several months ago, so wanted to give an update.

Not really sure how or why, but we placed our order for a 150 Coast on 2 November 2020 and we were delighted to be able to pick it up yesterday, on 12 February 2021. In terms of options, we added the climatronic rear a/c, privacy glass, mudflaps, 80l tank, panoramic bellows, reversing camera, sliding window in the door and a dealer fitted bike rack.

We had exceptional service from Darren Holmes at VW Commercial in Sheffield, who I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.

I really hope that everyone on this thread gets their Cali soon. It is really worth the wait (which was a few months for us, but in reality over 20 years of yearning!). We slept in the van on the drive last night, it was -4 but we were toasty warm with the heater going. Just wonderful! And woke up this morning to sunshine glowing on the remaining snow. Not what we bought the van for, but a start!

Hang it there!

I feel almost guilty posting this on this thread, as everyone is going through so many emotions with the huge VW delays. But I did post on here several months ago, so wanted to give an update.

Not really sure how or why, but we placed our order for a 150 Coast on 2 November 2020 and we were delighted to be able to pick it up yesterday, on 12 February 2021. In terms of options, we added the climatronic rear a/c, privacy glass, mudflaps, 80l tank, panoramic bellows, reversing camera, sliding window in the door and a dealer fitted bike rack.

We had exceptional service from Darren Holmes at VW Commercial in Sheffield, who I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.

I really hope that everyone on this thread gets their Cali soon. It is really worth the wait (which was a few months for us, but in reality over 20 years of yearning!). We slept in the van on the drive last night, it was -4 but we were toasty warm with the heater going. Just wonderful! And woke up this morning to sunshine glowing on the remaining snow. Not what we bought the van for, but a start!

Hang it there!
That's great news at least some people have got their vans. The only differences in my Coast for extras are Starlight blue, wooden floor and 17 inch wheels. Ordered in September probably ready for collection early to mid March. The deliveries do seem random though and it does make me wonder if they've lost control a bit with the amount of orders going in !

Hang it there!
Can we have some pictures please? :)

Last edited:

Hang it there!
Don’t feel guilty, everyone will have this feeling soon, enjoy the adventures ahead and let’s see your new wheels

Well I have just a quite remarkable phone call.

Someone from VW customer services just called as they had been reading the chat transcripts. They have "confirmed" this morning that i now have a "confirmed" build "week 24". The reason for the delay was given as the van center has not put a required date on the order? I asked two questions.

1. If my order has no required date on it why have they confirmed as week 24 wont i just stay unconfirmed for ever as it has done for the last 5 months.
2. Why did i receive an email on Friday stating the following:-

"We have chased this up for you as our System with VW and the Factory has been giving us conflicting information about timings with Models/Specs etc.
I have now managed to get a List of Build Months for Particular Vehicles and the Good News is that yours is on it for a Build for Next Month March."

At this point he said he would make some calls and get back to me.

Someone from VW customer services just called as they had been reading the chat transcripts. They have "confirmed" this morning that i now have a "confirmed" build "week 24". The reason for the delay was given as the van center has not put a required date on the order? I asked two questions.

1. If my order has no required date on it why have they confirmed as week 24 wont i just stay unconfirmed for ever as it has done for the last 5 months.

"We have chased this up for you as our System with VW and the Factory has been giving us conflicting information about timings with Models/Specs etc.
I have now managed to get a List of Build Months for Particular Vehicles and the Good News is that yours is on it for a Build for Next Month March."

I hope you get a satisfactory response from them.

On my order form it says: required date - and gives what must be assumed, an arbitrary date approx 8 weeks after the order date. There is also a field which says Priority. Status 0 - very urgent. Surely these have no actual bearing on the build date really, as according to the recent VW brand update, they are building in date order according to the tagging/factory acceptance date, which in your case was 02/10/20? This should give a confirmed build week of 10, 8th March?

I ordered my vw ocean end of September and eventually got a confirmed build date for 9 Feb couple of weeks ago....just contacted vw chat it's at the port of emben...must admit to being a bit shocked...the reality is at last getting closer...it looks like I can't put off telling my wife about our new family member for much longer....wish I had bought a bigger bunch of flowers for valentines!!

got this breakdown from my dealer today. It may help others understand how long the process takes. Seems the majority of the delay is getting VW to accept the order! This is for a now confirmed week 10 production so others should be similar, although as I am only a 5 hour drive from Hannover, I may be collecting sooner than others.

from what I can work out, shows I ordered 21/8/20, VW accepted the order 1/10/20, and gave a provisional production week on 28/1/21 and transferred the order to production on 11/2/21.

The van is being built on 6/3 and goes for paint 8/3 with installation of internals on 10/3, finishing on 18/3 before quality control and export from Germany on 26/3.

Dealer says car should arrive with them by 31/1 and be ready for me no later than 2/4.
1613401449819.png

On my order form it says: required date - and gives what must be assumed, an arbitrary date approx 8 weeks after the order date. There is also a field which says Priority. Status 0 - very urgent. Surely these have no actual bearing on the build date really, as according to the recent VW brand update, they are building in date order according to the tagging/factory acceptance date, which in your case was 02/10/20? This should give a confirmed build week of 10, 8th March?
I just pulled my order form out and it does actually say Priority 1 by the required date. The required date is 10/12/2020 which is obviously in the past.

I just pulled my order form out and it does actually say Priority 1 by the required date. The required date is 10/12/2020 which is obviously in the past.
The expectation is that you would be assigned a confirmed build week 10ish this week - it would go against all the other build dates and criteria on the forum and what the brand has been saying officially to the dealers. The list surely can't be based on the required date but the acceptance at the factory.

Back