Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

For those of you waiting for your Calis which were built before lockdown and have been languishing in a muddy field in Germany for the last 3 months, are you concerned about the state of the Leisure Batteries ? I know zip all about batteries but presumably they have been flat during this time and I would not have thought this would have done them any good ?? (Or should this be a new post ??)

Hi all. So we took the plunge earlier in the year, threw caution to the wind, ignored the eye-watering price tag and ordered a T6.1 California a couple of weeks before lock-down from VW vans (Liverpool). Since then there have been a number of delays and further delays in the delivery date. Apparently VW (Germany) cannot give any firm build and delivery dates. It appears that when it is built it receives a chassis number and then its progress to the dealer can be tracked. We were originally given mid-May for delivery to the dealer which included 4 weeks from issue of chassis number to delivery to the dealer. Since then we have had several revisions to the predicted delivery date, the latest being end of July / beginning of August which is perilously close to the issue of new registrations on 1st September. Apparently the time from issue of chassis number to delivery to the dealer, 8 weeks is now being quoted not the previous 4 weeks. According to the dealer VW are not giving even any rough indications of build completions or delivery to dealer. Come on VW (Germany), where is the communication with the dealer and customer service here. It can't be that difficult to work out and convey this information. You are leaving customers in limbo and causing worry. The news may not be good but at least communicate it so people can plan / cancel camp sites or even cancel the order. After all by September 1st the season is nearly over. I wondered if anyone else is having similar experiences? Kind regards, David and Helen.
I’ve cancelled mine - I’ll probably wait for an electric one now - it’s not right really to buy fossil fuelled vehicles any longer

Unless you live in Scotland an electric one will still be effectively fossil fuelled though unfortunately. Harry’s garage did a really interesting vid recently breaking it all down in an unbiased way that’s worth watching if your electric switch is from an ecology standpoint:thumb

I’ve cancelled mine - I’ll probably wait for an electric one now - it’s not right really to buy fossil fuelled vehicles any longer

Thanks - I,m not aware of VW chat - what is this?
I've just used VW chat and got an instant reply which was great - Unfortunately, it was not the news I was hoping for. My build week is week 29 July 13th (not build week 25 (last week) that my dealer told me). That's the summer ruled out, but I should get it for next winter!!

Yay! Mine's on the Malacca Highway (apparently) on its way to Sheerness. Maybe might get some summer use out of it after all!

@oliver100 might be worth an update as yours was completed just before mine.

Yay! Mine's on the Malacca Highway (apparently) on its way to Sheerness. Maybe might get some summer use out of it after all!

@oliver100 might be worth an update as yours was completed just before mine.

Ill check now thanks mate, the woman at VW yesterday basically said it would be a minimum of 4 weeks due to the backlog but there is clearly zero logic to it all lol

so mine is now classed as at the port of emden so status code 38. This advisor said due for end of july delivery but I get a different answer on that every time haha

Week 13.

Now following the thread on DVLA delays before getting ahead of myself.

Thats an interesting point Tim - I guess that this may be a long wait (weight?) though surely... based on current/medium term battery tech, the battery pack required for a decent range in a T7(8?) van, plus the camping conversion would probably mean that VW will have to drop the California option due to excess all up weight - but this is just my musing and I could be wide of the mark. Also, at the risk of a backlash on this topic, battery electric is not necessacarily a panacea vs Fossil Fuel from an ecological perspective; the extraction of precious metals to build batteries is also not great - to say nothing of the disposal and recycling of the same, plus where the electricity comes from to charge...
Hydrogen powered fuel cells transport however...

That is such good news, can you let us know how long it takes to get to the dealer from Sheerness please.
Thank you for your kind words.

I was told yesterday it would get a priority delivery as this has gone on for soooo long. The dealer is aware of the safety recall as it has to be performed on all T6.1 vans, not just Calis, so they have the parts.

However I fear the DVLA is the potential fly in the ointment to us getting our van asap...

Thank you for your kind words.

I was told yesterday it would get a priority delivery as this has gone on for soooo long. The dealer is aware of the safety recall as it has to be performed on all T6.1 vans, not just Calis, so they have the parts.

However I fear the DVLA is the potential fly in the ointment to us getting our van asap...
Fantastic
About time too :)
I bet your over the moon
What is the recall ?

Fantastic
About time too :)
I bet your over the moon
What is the recall ?
Thanks mate, it will be 11 months from order placement by the time we get our hands on it. Somehow we still haven't told the kids!!!! They keep nagging to get a Cali. Should be awesome when they come home to find the Cali on the drive...

Recall is "57H5" - Bowden cables to be checked and sealed. The recall only applies to 58,000 T6.1 vans :eek:

https://car-recalls.eu/three-recalls-vw-t6-1-2020-door-locks/

Thanks mate, it will be 11 months from order placement by the time we get our hands on it. Somehow we still haven't told the kids!!!! They keep nagging to get a Cali. Should be awesome when they come home to find the Cali on the drive...

Recall is "57H5" - Bowden cables to be checked and sealed. The recall only applies to 58,000 T6.1 vans :eek:

https://car-recalls.eu/three-recalls-vw-t6-1-2020-door-locks/
Bloody hell we was both the same build week on our t6s I think week 51 my week 51 was also a replacement van from the one that arrived dented so I did the wait 3times I know how you feel.
But it’s done now and it’s on it’s way to you
Brilliant enjoy .

Bloody hell we was both the same build week on our t6s I think week 51 my week 51 was also a replacement van from the one that arrived dented so I did the wait 3times I know how you feel.
But it’s done now and it’s on it’s way to you
Brilliant enjoy .
"Dented", you should have seen our T6!!!!

just got word that my van will be built week 30.... which is end of July? any idea what this means for potential delivery to my dealer/me getting my hands on it? should I be thinking late September to get the keys?

Back