Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

Yep, was my T6 that was written off - whacked an overhanging tree and also took out the T6 Transporter that was behind my Cali when the awning went through the van behind.

VW were/are pathetic. Very painful, still in therapy!

PM me your mobile number and we can have a chat, otherwise it will be one very long message. :thumb

Compensation, no chance. Loan Cali, no chance. Believe me I wasted far too many hours of my life asking for both.
I know exactly how you feel. The dealer offered to lend me another VW van (Transporter or Caddy!?!?!) and eventually take the Ocean, when its finally repaired (which will be written off for insurance purposes) for the winter months while I place a new identical order at a preferential rate - wouldn't be repaired until possibly October! I said that the whole experience with the them had been a disaster and quite upsetting and I didn't want to enter into any form new agreement. I feel I've "wasted too many hours of my life" with the episode already, as you say, and just want to draw a line under it. At no point during the debacle of failed PDI and then subsequently running the roof into a bridge did I feel like a valued customer. It's done. I plan to place a new order with a SE dealership for a Beach Camper.

Don't worry, after a 7 month wait, the problems only started once it had a arrived at the dealer....
Which dealer is this if you don't mind?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Private message me. I'd rather not say out loud. Who are you using?
No worries apparently I don't have permission to private message!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I know exactly how you feel. The dealer offered to lend me another VW van (Transporter or Caddy!?!?!) and eventually take the Ocean, when its finally repaired (which will be written off for insurance purposes) for the winter months while I place a new identical order at a preferential rate - wouldn't be repaired until possibly October! I said that the whole experience with the them had been a disaster and quite upsetting and I didn't want to enter into any form new agreement. I feel I've "wasted too many hours of my life" with the episode already, as you say, and just want to draw a line under it. At no point during the debacle of failed PDI and then subsequently running the roof into a bridge did I feel like a valued customer. It's done. I plan to place a new order with a SE dealership for a Beach Camper.
Our dealer was actually really good, it was VW UK who were useless, Robinson's Norwich. I even took it to them for the first service last weekend even though they are 2 hours from me.

After our 48 week debacle I can genuinely say the van is utterly brilliant. I really hope you get your Beach, they are unique vehicles. Unfortunately VW just don't care. :thumb

Will you get a preferential rate fir the Beach?
Seems from this forum there’s not much between dealers in terms of relationship with their customers. Yes Breeze gives you a weekly update, but saying what? They are all at the mercy of the factory...
If you can order a Beach at 2020 prices, plus some ‘goodwill’ (free options?), isn’t it worth swallowing the accident with your Ocean? After all I wouldn’t think ordering with another dealer will ensure it’s delivered any quicker...?

Will you get a preferential rate fir the Beach?
Seems from this forum there’s not much between dealers in terms of relationship with their customers. Yes Breeze gives you a weekly update, but saying what? They are all at the mercy of the factory...
If you can order a Beach at 2020 prices, plus some ‘goodwill’ (free options?), isn’t it worth swallowing the accident with your Ocean? After all I wouldn’t think ordering with another dealer will ensure it’s delivered any quicker...?
I'm not actually that anxious about delivery time, but would just like to have a dealership closer to home. I'm sure I can be a little more patient this time round. I'll definitely resist contacting VW chat twice a week for 4 months!! Would just prefer to use someone completely new after such a poor experience. Other forum members have already complained about this dealership. I'd be expected to order the same van and I just don't want to now. Fancy a Beach Camper....

How would you get in touch with VW direct? I also have an issue with my dealer... Chat encouraged me to formally complain but that process was next to useless and only served to inflame the dealer.
Is there another way?
From another post

574A7BE5-740F-480A-9277-13F89DE906BE.jpeg

very flat sad new to report that my cali ocean order from january 21 which had build dates of may, jun , july, then sept, oct november, has now been taken off build again with a review that it may be week 7 2022 - what an almighty, insulting farce , and never once told by vw themselves a reason ? and teh dealership are embarrassed themselves as they are not told anything either VW you are totally making yourselves look shocking in front of your loyal customers.....

very flat sad new to report that my cali ocean order from january 21 which had build dates of may, jun , july, then sept, oct november, has now been taken off build again with a review that it may be week 7 2022 - what an almighty, insulting farce , and never once told by vw themselves a reason ? and teh dealership are embarrassed themselves as they are not told anything either VW you are totally making yourselves look shocking in front of your loyal customers.....
My sentiments mirror yours. I accept the production delays completely, but the division between factory and dealer neglects the customer.
I have had 9 provisional build weeks since October, with no explanation when they vanish. These strange updates (“delete your towbar and you can take delivery in June otherwise it’s July?”) that lead to nothing (towbars coming through a week later and my build week still not confirmed in July) just frustrate customers and make VW look tin pot. But of course the supply issues remain and the pain is personal so rarely gets heard (this forum is the only place I’ve seen it).

My sentiments mirror yours. I accept the production delays completely, but the division between factory and dealer neglects the customer.
I have had 9 provisional build weeks since October, with no explanation when they vanish. These strange updates (“delete your towbar and you can take delivery in June otherwise it’s July?”) that lead to nothing (towbars coming through a week later and my build week still not confirmed in July) just frustrate customers and make VW look tin pot. But of course the supply issues remain and the pain is personal so rarely gets heard (this forum is the only place I’ve seen it).
It's that lack of dealer updates that get me. How long does it take each Monday morning to check the system and send a quick email to waiting customers. Each time I email them, I get a reply that ends "I'll do my best to keep you updated". Never happens. :headbang

The first proactive email my dealer has ever sent just arrived. Anyone know what Status 12 means as I’ve only this list
1625654882989.jpeg

Morning Tim
I hope all's well.
We have just checked with VW for an Update for you and your California is currently showing Status 12, Week 35 which is August.
As Vehicle Supply are trying to deal with the huge number of vehicles currently into Build Weeks, we are expecting this to come forward as this Build Week is still Not Confirmed.
I will be in touch again as soon as we have any Further Updates.
In the meantime, have a good day.
All the best.

That’s appalling. I feel for you. I ordered an Ocean last month with an expected delivery late spring 2022, I wonder how whether it will even arrive next year. I’m 68, life’s to short and I might look for an alternative .

That’s appalling. I feel for you. I ordered an Ocean last month with an expected delivery late spring 2022, I wonder how whether it will even arrive next year. I’m 68, life’s to short and I might look for an alternative .
The dealer will bite your hand off to hand you back your deposit, and make a lot more selling it to someone other than you when it finally arrives. Dealers are not allowed to order stock vehicles atm I understand.
I'll suggest that you leave your order in, and look for an alternative. If by the time your Ocean arrives you have a better alternative, take delivery and sell it for c£10k more than you paid for it. If not, a shiny new Ocean is yours. Like I say, you'll be able to get your deposit back any time should you need it...

Sound advice, thank you.

The dealer will bite your hand off to hand you back your deposit, and make a lot more selling it to someone other than you when it finally arrives. Dealers are not allowed to order stock vehicles atm I understand.
I'll suggest that you leave your order in, and look for an alternative. If by the time your Ocean arrives you have a better alternative, take delivery and sell it for c£10k more than you paid for it. If not, a shiny new Ocean is yours. Like I say, you'll be able to get your deposit back any time should you need it...
Couldn't agree more. A neighbour has just placed 2 orders for the Toyota Yaris GR. Don't go cancelling orders on such an in demand vehicle.

Hi all.
TRAUMA BONDING...

Looking at some of these messages about Cali delivery delays triggered an automatic fight or flight stress response in me, i found my heart racing as memories of recent months flooded me ;).

Let me share my experience of recently ordering a VW California t6.1 here in France, it did cost me quite a few sleepless nights as I went through an anger phase, then denial, then acceptance, and hopefully soon, joy.

January 21 my wife and I take decided to take the plunge and purchase our dream vehicle, a new VW California. Being a surfer, but never having owned a camper, I too was seduced by the VW Marketing online and all the 'Van Life' videos on YouTube. We decided we wanted the Cali fast, and were ready to bypass a Cali to spec, we had only 4 mandatory criteria.

- Available Spring 21
- 4 Motion
- Coast, Ocean, or Edition
- Budget 70-80K K Euros

I checked available California's on the VW France corporate website, and there were approximately 35 scattered throughout the country at VW dealers. However on the same website, it was impossible to identify which of the 35 were 4 MO as the option was not specifically detailed. I made initial contact with my local dealer, asked him if he worked with other VW dealers in a network approach, and gave him my criteria as noted. He did not deny working in a network (but nor did he admit, leading to a time bomb...), and promised to check if any of the 35 vehicles met mandatory criteria...

Professionally I was extremely busy at the time, so I placed my trust in him over the phone, and we agreed to meet at the dealership the week after. On arriving, directly in front off his office, I was greeted by a California Coast 4 MO in dark grey. I was swooning, but swoooooonnnniinngg, thought it for sale, and my cheque book came out. Once in his office, first of several cold showers, I learned it was sold, however might be for sale, as the camper company that ordered it was still deciding whether or not to take it due to COVID restrictions on travel. So we at down, and second cold shower, he informed me that none of the 35 Calis available in France were 4 MO. He informed me I would be top of the list for the dark grey Cali in the showroom should it not be sold, and whilst that panned, we could configure my dream Cali and place an order for it. Its what we did, delay announced then, 12 months, February 22. WE ordered an Ascot Grey Coast, 4MO, with Diff Bloc, and various other 'ideal version' options.

Two weeks later, I was on holiday, and something did not seem right to me. I started calling VW dealerships myself, and I found 3 vehicules of the 35 that were 4 Motion, a Cherry Red, Mohave Beige, and a 2 tone Ascot Grey and White. I settled on the Ascot Grey and White, called my local dealer to organize the purchase through the 'VW dealership network' :headbang...and this is where things fell apart. He said the dealer might not release the vehicle, so I said ok, the Cherry Red, and he was, well that dealer too. To be polite, i realised we had had some communication challenges :rolleyes:.

Rewind...the deal on the dark grey Cali did not seem to be closing, so once I calmed down, the dealership and I discussed, and I agreed to see how that deal would pan out before making any further moves, as apart from the color and diff block, that vehicle was close to my ideal, 4MO etc. The next 6 weeks were peppered with moments of anger, sleepless nights, and a mixed bag of feelings around being ready to fork out 75K, being clear on my requirements from the start, and yet feeling frustrated and misled.

Fast forward to May 21, I get a call from the VW dealer. By then i'd given up on having the vehicle this year; over the 6 weeks since my previous discussion with them, I had slid into 'ho-hum' acceptance mode. They said, we have some good news and bad news. OK, so lets start with the bad please. The dark grey Cali 4 MO is sold. OK, now for the good. They said VW had asked the dealership for a list of 6 vehicles to be built urgently; and they had proposed my order. Target date was week 26 to start the build, delivery likely September. I decided to go this option rather than to start over the hunt for an available vehicle somewhere, this seemed to surprise the dealership.

Present day. Work duly started on our Cali Monday last week. I don't know when I will be delivered, perhaps even as late as October, but at least I am calm now and know I it will arrive, and I have already paid for it (I wanted they money off my account for some reason...). At the time I ordered my Cali, delivery was estimated to be 12 months, but if you order one now I heard its 15 months in France. Since I have calmed down, I do feel sorry for the dealerships whom have sales targets and families to feed. They are between a demanding customer on the one side, and 'KING VW' central management on the other; its no wonder such situations as my own, and others, happen, and customers paying such high amounts get upset. Its for VW Central to find solutions to these delivery problems, not the dealerships. I read in another post here that VW may now be suspending orders on new California's in some markets until 2022. Perhaps its the solution to clear the backlog and calm customer frustration.

Like it or not, fact is, that its not because one has 70 or 80K to spend that VW needs to make anything more than a loose, target delivery commitment. Pull out of the order during build, and VW can sell it 10 times over before it leaves the production line, there is so much demand and a full implementation pipe. Since this order, I have learned patience I did not know i had, and I don't regret it. It will be worth waiting for, and the wait adds to the pleasure finally, the not knowing, the anticipation.... I forgive the dealer, and I encourage others frustrated with dealers to do the same, its not their fault.

All the best to those waiting for fulfillments of their orders, and for those about to place an order, expect a 12 to 18 month delivery plan currently. Hard to accept, but in my opinion, worth the wait.

Kind regards
CaliAzur

i confirm for France what has just been said by 66tim99. Dealers cannot order Cali's for their dealerships at the moment, only customer orders are met. I also concur with Tim, that for France too, dealers will rip a cancelling customers arm off to get their hands on a customer order Cali, display it for a few weeks in the showroom, and sell with a reduced discount. My recommendation to anyone would be to be patient, and not cancel the order...

Hi all.
TRAUMA BONDING...

Looking at some of these messages about Cali delivery delays triggered an automatic fight or flight stress response in me, i found my heart racing as memories of recent months flooded me ;).

Let me share my experience of recently ordering a VW California t6.1 here in France, it did cost me quite a few sleepless nights as I went through an anger phase, then denial, then acceptance, and hopefully soon, joy.

January 21 my wife and I take decided to take the plunge and purchase our dream vehicle, a new VW California. Being a surfer, but never having owned a camper, I too was seduced by the VW Marketing online and all the 'Van Life' videos on YouTube. We decided we wanted the Cali fast, and were ready to bypass a Cali to spec, we had only 4 mandatory criteria.

- Available Spring 21
- 4 Motion
- Budget 70-80K K Euros

I checked available California's on the VW France corporate website, and there were approximately 35 scattered throughout the country at VW dealers. However on the same website, it was impossible to identify which of the 35 were 4 MO as the option was not specifically detailed. I made initial contact with my local dealer, asked him if he worked with other VW dealers in a network approach, and gave him my criteria as noted. He did not deny working in a network (but nor did he admit, leading to a time bomb...), and promised to check if any of the 35 vehicles met mandatory criteria...

Professionally I was extremely busy at the time, so I placed my trust in him over the phone, and we agreed to meet at the dealership the week after. On arriving, directly in front off his office, I was greeted by a California Coast 4 MO in dark grey. I was swooning, but swoooooonnnniinngg, thought it for sale, and my cheque book came out. Once in his office, first of several cold showers, I learned it was sold, however might be for sale, as the camper company that ordered it was still deciding whether or not to take it due to COVID restrictions on travel. So we at down, and second cold shower, he informed me that none of the 35 Calis available in France were 4 MO. He informed me I would be top of the list for the dark grey Cali in the showroom should it not be sold, and whilst that panned, we could configure my dream Cali and place an order for it. Its what we did, delay announced then, 12 months, February 22. WE ordered an Ascot Grey Coast, 4MO, with Diff Bloc, and various other 'ideal version' options.

Two weeks later, I was on holiday, and something did not seem right to me. I started calling VW dealerships myself, and I found 3 vehicules of the 35 that were 4 Motion, a Cherry Red, Mohave Beige, and a 2 tone Ascot Grey and White. I settled on the Ascot Grey and White, called my local dealer to organize the purchase through the 'VW dealership network' :headbang...and this is where things fell apart. He said the dealer might not release the vehicle, so I said ok, the Cherry Red, and he was, well that dealer too. To be polite, i realised we had had some communication challenges :rolleyes:.

Rewind...the deal on the dark grey Cali did not seem to be closing, so once I calmed down, the dealership and I discussed, and I agreed to see how that deal would pan out before making any further moves, as apart from the color and diff block, that vehicle was close to my ideal, 4MO etc. The next 6 weeks were peppered with moments of anger, sleepless nights, and a mixed bag of feelings around being ready to fork out 75K, being clear on my requirements from the start, and yet feeling frustrated and misled.

Fast forward to May 21, I get a call from the VW dealer. By then i'd given up on having the vehicle this year; over the 6 weeks since my previous discussion with them, I had slid into 'ho-hum' acceptance mode. They said, we have some good news and bad news. OK, so lets start with the bad please. The dark grey Cali 4 MO is sold. OK, now for the good. They said VW had asked the dealership for a list of 6 vehicles to be built urgently; and they had proposed my order. Target date was week 26 to start the build, delivery likely September. I decided to go this option rather than to start over the hunt for an available vehicle somewhere, this seemed to surprise the dealership.

Present day. Work duly started on our Cali Monday last week. I don't know when I will be delivered, perhaps even as late as October, but at least I am calm now and know I it will arrive, and I have already paid for it (I wanted they money off my account for some reason...). At the time I ordered my Cali, delivery was estimated to be 12 months, but if you order one now I heard its 15 months in France. Since I have calmed down, I do feel sorry for the dealerships whom have sales targets and families to feed. They are between a demanding customer on the one side, and 'KING VW' central management on the other; its no wonder such situations as my own, and others, happen, and customers paying such high amounts get upset. Its for VW Central to find solutions to these delivery problems, not the dealerships. I read in another post here that VW may now be suspending orders on new California's in some markets until 2022. Perhaps its the solution to clear the backlog and calm customer frustration.

Like it or not, fact is, that its not because one has 70 or 80K to spend that VW needs to make anything more than a loose, target delivery commitment. Pull out of the order during build, and VW can sell it 10 times over before it leaves the production line, there is so much demand and a full implementation pipe. Since this order, I have learned patience I did not know i had, and I don't regret it. It will be worth waiting for, and the wait adds to the pleasure finally, the not knowing, the anticipation.... I forgive the dealer, and I encourage others frustrated with dealers to do the same, its not their fault.

All the best to those waiting for fulfillments of their orders, and for those about to place an order, expect a 12 to 18 month delivery plan currently. Hard to accept, but in my opinion, worth the wait.

Kind regards
CaliAzur
thank you for the time it took to write that much appreciated

Hi all.
TRAUMA BONDING...

- Available Spring 21
- 4 Motion
- Budget 70-80K K Euros

Kind regards
CaliAzur
You are mention 70 80k cost to you. Real situation is you are small customer to Vw, only buy 1 Cali and you made are not buy another for some years.

To Vw you are not much important.

Is easier better business Vw selling 10, 30, 100+ vans - easier deal, much bigger moneys for Vw and not such time consuming as try sell you 1 California.

Is surprise Vw can bother with you for real life.

I found 3 vehicules of the 35 that were 4 Motion, a Cherry Red, Mohave Beige, and a 2 tone Ascot Grey and White
So the dealer was bullshltting you, so he could bag a sale? Why then then do you forgive the dealer?
Frustrating time, but great to hear you've your ideal spec on the way. Go on...let us know your spec...

You are mention 70 80k cost to you. Real situation is you are small customer to Vw, only buy 1 Cali and you made are not buy another for some years.

Is easier better business Vw selling 10, 30, 100+ vans - easier deal, much bigger moneys for Vw and not such time consuming as try sell you 1 California.

VW are a brand built on customers feeling good. Their products do, their buying process doesn't. I don't suppose many people/businesses have ever placed an order for 10 Californias, never mind 100. They sell them one-by-one on the main, and if my mate loves my Cali, but doesn't order one because he can't be arsed with the pain of dealing with a nonsense dealer/factory relationship, they've lost a customer

VW are a brand built on customers feeling good. Their products do, their buying process doesn't. I don't suppose many people/businesses have ever placed an order for 10 Californias, never mind 100. They sell them one-by-one on the main, and if my mate loves my Cali, but doesn't order one because he can't be arsed with the pain of dealing with a nonsense dealer/factory relationship, they've lost a customer

I think what was meant was selling 10/20/30 commercial vans not California’s as they are via the same dealers, only takes a order of 2 or more high line transporters and you are over the cost on one Ocean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most manufacturers are struggling with van supply at the moment.

Hence 2nd hand market is on fire whether it be a builders van or a Cali.

I think what was meant was selling 10/20/30 commercial vans not California’s as they are via the same dealers, only takes a order of 2 or more high line transporters and you are over the cost on one Ocean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is correct.
Vw dealer in uk is independent business from Vw. If selling Vw is too much difficult work, dealer can apply becoming different brand franchise.

Is easy sell to trading company many vans - trading company not asking hundred questions and take long time decide - only price is matter.

People buy California take long time, asking questions, more time before decide, even such little detail is which colour is big problem some peoples. = much effort and time to selling 1 Campervan.
I can understand Vw van dealer is not much interest 1 California buying customer.

Back