Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New steering rack required - help identifying part number

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all. Elmo needs a new steering rack (power steering fluid leaking at the rack end). Fortunately it’s under warranty and the warranty company have approved a new rack and fitting (great service from them). I’m going to buy the parts and get my mechanic to fit, then send the invoices for reimbursement, all approved. However, due to the vehicle being a LHD import, I’m struggling to identify the correct rack required from the registration number, which is not recognised on parts systems.

The vehicle is a T5 Beach, left hand drive, 2.5 (96kW), first registered 5 January 2009 (in Spain). Would somebody be able to help identify the correct part required from the VIN?

Many thanks for any help.

Hi Elmo,

the steering rack supplier should be able to identify the correct part required simply from your vin number.

if you give the supplier a part number and it turns out to be incorrect you will probably charged a restocking charge, if they provide a part that is incorrect they have to supply the correct part at no cost to you.

Hi Elmo,

the steering rack supplier should be able to identify the correct part required simply from your vin number.

if you give the supplier a part number and it turns out to be incorrect you will probably charged a restocking charge, if they provide a part that is incorrect they have to supply the correct part at no cost to you.

Thanks. Yes, they should. Looking on Autodoc, it‘s fairly confusing as they don’t list my exact vehicle. They recommend the Stark rack (article no SKSG-0530099) but I’d like to cross check for sanity!

Turns out this rack is more expensive than the one I based the warranty claim on. Sent the correct details through, all approved straight away. I‘ve always been wary of after market warranties but these guys are excellent (MB&G), particularly when you consider the Cali is 12 years old with 112K miles. Rack ordered, bought some new track rod ends and tie rods as well (very happy to pay for these). Daft not to fit new ones at the same time even though they are fine.

It was £360 delivered from Germany through Autodoc. Their prices are cheaper on the App than the website. My mechanic suggested them.

^^ they can keep that one (my claim limit is £1,000)!

Does anyone know the best power steering fluid to use? It’s the green stuff in this van, I’ve topped up with Comma MVCHF so was going to use this in the new rack but it occurred there may be a better option? Also, what fluid is best to flush the pump / system?

Back