New roof needed

Looseboy

Looseboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
All

Just sharing for info

Our brand new Cali Ocean needs a new roof.

I noticed the roof sat a little proud on the drivers side and the dealer has had it in for a look, result is it needs a new roof needed

Photos for awareness .

Obviously a bit disappointed given it was like it from day one . Also I had the van ceramic coated

Anyone had similar?

875987DB-89AF-4DBA-B981-247608FADD6F.jpeg

BFDAE61A-C30D-4020-A1E4-81678060D6CF.jpeg

All

Just sharing for info

I noticed the roof sat a little proud on the drivers side and the dealer has had it in for a look, result is it needs a new roof needed

Photos for awareness .

Obviously a bit disappointed given it was like it from day one . Also I had the van ceramic coated

Anyone had similar?

View attachment 104407

View attachment 104408
Hmmm, not heard that one before. Is there any other visible damage to the middle or the rear section of the roof which may be causing the mis-alignment? From your second pic, it seems that the roof has been closed with something under the front left section which has deformed just that part of the roof.

You may want to ask them to pay for ceramic coating to the roof.

BTW, The roof is quite flexible and can be pushed in and adjusted. Not sure why they need to replace the whole roof. The roof is quite flexible and forgiving.

Below was the state of my roof when my son closed it incorrectly. No issues - a few push with my arm and a few bangs with my fist and now it is perfect.

Before:
PXL_20220909_063502365.jpg

just opened and pushed it back into place and now it is perfect. 2 mins job.

1674740027861.png

The roof is quite flexible and forgiving.

Hmmm, not heard that one before. Is there any other visible damage to the middle or the rear section of the roof which may be causing the mis-alignment? From your second pic, it seems that the roof has been closed with something under the front left section which has deformed just that part of the roof.

BTW, The roof is quite flexible and can be pushed in and adjusted. Not sure why they need to replace the whole roof. The roof is quite flexible and forgiving.

Below was the state of my roof when my son closed it incorrectly. No issues - a few push with my arm and a few bangs with my fist and now it is perfect.

Before:
View attachment 104409

View attachment 104410

How did do you get that kink out of the roof?

How did do you get that kink out of the roof?
a few bangs with my fist. That's it. the roof is seriously very forgiving. I have had this happen once before when my wife closed it incorrectly.

If you look very very very closely ... you may see a small undulation ... but nothing more.

Before:
View attachment 104409

View attachment 104410

So you managed to repair the huge dent in the Aluminium roof with a
Few smacks with your fist.
What about the where the canvas was trapped in the mechanism?
The same thing happened to me a few months ago when it was taken into the main dealer for some work to be done.
They ended up paying for a new canvas plus repairing the dented roof (both sides) plus a complete respray of the roof.
All because the forgot to open the doors when lowering the roof.

Before:
View attachment 104409

View attachment 104410

They did say what they found but i didn't absorb the info. Once they confirm i will share, but i am fairly certain if they could get away with not replacing the roof they would which makes me think it is a legit issue they found

yep :D it is very pliable.

thankfully it did not tear ... so saved ... else would have to have been a patch work there.

I suspect that is what my son and wife did on both instances.

yep :D it is very pliable.

thankfully it did not tear ... so saved ... else would have to have been a patch work there.

I suspect that is what my son and wife did on both instances.
Pliable? Yours must be made of cardboard... mine is 2.5 mm Aluminium.
When my roof was taken off for repairs they had to panel beat it back into shape.

All

Just sharing for info

Photos for awareness .

Anyone had similar?

View attachment 104407

View attachment 104408
Hi

Mine is exactly the same, Van was in to Lancashire van centre last and they took loads of photos. Picked up brand new last November and noticed the issue a few days later.

Waiting to hear back still so any more information you have would be good to see.

Glad I saw this, just sent a link to my dealership… thanks

All

Just sharing for info

Photos for awareness .

Anyone had similar?

View attachment 104407

View attachment 104408
Hi..Do you have any closer photos as to what you think is wrong with the way your roof sits as I cant see any difference to mine or see anything wrong with yours..maybe the camera angle or I have an issue with mine too?

Hi

Mine is exactly the same, Van was in to Lancashire van centre last and they took loads of photos. Picked up brand new last November and noticed the issue a few days later.

Waiting to hear back still so any more information you have would be good to see.

Glad I saw this, just sent a link to my dealership… thanks
Good luck

Mine was in for a week for investigation

They decided to change the seal around the edge of the roof. It was when they took it off to replace it that they noticed the issue

Apologies I can’t remember what he said it was. But will share when i find out.

New roof will take a couple of weeks to come in , then get painted etc… so I am picking the van up today and can be used as normal until the works carried out .

Hi..Do you have any closer photos as to what you think is wrong with the way your roof sits as I cant see any difference to mine or see anything wrong with yours..maybe the camera angle or I have an issue with mine too?
Sorry I don’t have loads to share.

Attached are a couple more and it is only a slight rise on the drivers side . Just clear though when comparing that it is higher and not as flush as the passenger side.

7C99087B-3600-450B-A7E4-C4BB8C5A5D1B.jpeg

41E4FBA7-3BEC-4CE4-9C29-04BA2093B685.jpeg

Thanks for the extra information!

Here’s a couple of images of mine…

0054272B-E1D7-4E11-A815-B5C02DA03933.jpeg

B951D3D1-DBAC-4266-AB74-E603A8BBD176.jpeg

Sorry I don’t have loads to share.

Attached are a couple more and it is only a slight rise on the drivers side . Just clear though when comparing that it is higher and not as flush as the passenger side.

View attachment 104460

View attachment 104461
Thanks very much...I collected my cali in nov and there are def some similarities, maybe a bit subtler but both sides not exactly right...its been sat in garage ever since and not used but I think I need to take a look again..I was just putting it down to acceptable tolerances on such a complex vehicle..and the roof went up and down ok

If there is no distortion of the roof, I would be looking at the scissor/piston mechanism to see if anything was adrift our interfering with its action.

The same thing happened to me a few months ago when it was taken into the main dealer for some work to be done.
They ended up paying for a new canvas plus repairing the dented roof (both sides) plus a complete respray of the roof.
How did you get the canvas replaced? After 15 years, my canvas has several repaired spilts, and I often wonder if I could just replace the whole thing, to make it more saleable if I ever decide to part with it.

Been and looked at all my roof, drivers side is a little proud, compared to passenger side which is more flush, got the tape measure out and would say that there is a 5mm difference in heigh.

So...sorry about the poor quality photos but my Cali is under a car tent and i had to use a torch to provide some light , but like others who had theirs delivered around Nov 2022 I've now looked at the rubber seal where the roof comes down at the front. Drivers side is very snug, maybe too snug, perhaps being a little too forward, thus lifting the roof very slightly (nothing significant)..Passenger side the seal looks as though its about 1mm too short (you can see the paint where it doesn't fit snug) and therefore no force on roof upwards?
I sort of noticed this on collecting Cali but just thought it must be within tolerance as roof goes up and down ok..
Any thoughts anyone...as I'm starting to feel this is like Pandora's box and if a couple of people have their dealers agreeing new roof replacement there must be something wrong, perhaps even VW knows due to a 'batch' of ill fitting roofs and already been authorised to deal, but just short of a recall?
Not sure what to do really?
I've also noticed that the metal section of roof frame that links with the top of the windscreen, the gap on the passenger side is very slightly greater than that on the passenger side...not sure if this is influencing things

Attachments

• Camper roof.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 27
If there is no distortion of the roof, I would be looking at the scissor/piston mechanism to see if anything was adrift our interfering with its action.
Yeah no distortion that is visible to me

They had it for a week so can only imagine they checked everything they could before going for the nuclear option

I seem to remember a problem some owners had a while ago with the roof fouling on the awning brackets and holding it slightly proud. Could be worth a look.

All

Just sharing for info

Photos for awareness .

Anyone had similar?

View attachment 104407

View attachment 104408
Did you remember what the cause of this is yet?

Back