Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Order + Spec Reasoning

Waiting to hear back
I'm with @66tim99 here - 3K seems very light unless they changed the numbers in the last few weeks. For DTD you get the discount straight away on their website - when they ring there is no haggling to be had - the discount is the discount. So you should see your number straight away without waiting. Was a flat 8.8% for me. You can also try eBid, but will be about the same.

There is some sway with lead times. You could either have a dealer allocation van or one over and above their allocation. If you get an allocation van it will come more promptly than one over and above their allocation.

VW UK is given an allocation by VW, this is shared amongst dealers with VW UK holding some back for later redistribution.

Each dealer is given an allocation based on their previous year’s sales.

Once the dealer’s allocation is fulfilled they have to ask VW UK for extra. If VW UK run out they have to ask Germany for more, and if there are no more to be had there will be a very long wait.

That is why some people will get their vans ordered and delivered in 10-12 weeks while others can wait a year or longer.

Then there can be the issue of the factory running out of some option or another: just imagine if some vital component for ACC was stuck on the Ever Given, held hostage for ransom in the Great Bitter Lake until just a few weeks ago?
This all makes sense in "normal" times and more so with passenger cars vs vans due to the way the systems work. To give a insight I used to work on the systems that did factory order allocation. Over and above "swaps" and extra allocation - which given the order bank situation is practically non-existent - stock orders don't count here as every van is BTO - build to order, so once you're in the Q very little you can do to sway anything. We used to get dealers who had managed to get hold of our phone numbers at the factory ringing all the time trying to change things, but the complexity involved in a BTO order flow meant there was non, not that we could have anyway. Your latter point more on the nose - options here is the killer, after chip shortages. All it takes is one 3rd tier supplier to shut down who supplies rails, clips are anything like that and the whole thing comes to a standstill. Generally the manufacturer pre-orders all the bits a year in advance on the assumption of a certain flow of colours, specs and options, but even that is out the window now. Not sure yet if this is going to get better or worse - better if it's a vaccinated country, worse if your clips come from Mexico!

But once the order is accepted by the factory, you're just at the mercy of the factory? I have heard of people not receiving an order number for weeks if not months, which presumably is due to the dealer waiting for a new allocation (or asking VW UK for one)... once you have an order # my understanding is the dealer has no influence...?

The order can be sent to the factory at any stage. It will have a higher priority if it is a dealer allocation.

The variable wait is between the order being at the factory and it going onto the production line.

The order can be sent to the factory at any stage. It will have a higher priority if it is a dealer allocation.

The variable wait is between the order being at the factory and it going onto the production line.
As above I’m not sure this is true at the moment. The order should be sent to the factory immediately but it seems some are not. I can think of no other reason than dealer allocation. I had an order number a week after placing it with DTD.
My dealer has had several high spec oceans ordered after mine, delivered before mine but has no clue why - presumably factory efficiencies he said. So I don’t think the DTD dealer orders are any slower than other dealers

As above I’m not sure this is true at the moment. The order should be sent to the factory immediately but it seems some are not. I can think of no other reason than dealer allocation. I had an order number a week after placing it with DTD.
My dealer has had several high spec oceans ordered after mine, delivered before mine but has no clue why - presumably factory efficiencies he said. So I don’t think the DTD dealer orders are any slower than other dealers

I think that the dealer is being less than transparent with you. They won’t want to admit that they’ve put a later order on a higher priority than you.

When we ordered we deliberately traded low priority for a bigger discount. It was very different trading times in 2016 when we placed our order and got a 14% discount on base vehicle plus options but had to wait nearly 12 months for delivery. The order was with the factory within a week but build date wasn’t confirmed for over six months. The dealer was manipulating the build date for their bonus which is based on excess sales over target/allocation.

I'm with @66tim99 here - 3K seems very light unless they changed the numbers in the last few weeks. For DTD you get the discount straight away on their website - when they ring there is no haggling to be had - the discount is the discount. So you should see your number straight away without waiting. Was a flat 8.8% for me. You can also try eBid, but will be about the same.
I’ve just put our spec through DTD £73k list. Still being over just over £6.5k off. Same as the dealer. How strange, funny old business this.

I’ve just put our spec through DTD £73k list. Still being over just over £6.5k off. Same as the dealer. How strange, funny old business this.
*offered (stupid autocorrect!)

Same as mine, just under 9%. Depends on the dealer, I tired some with 0%, some with 4% and only one close to DTD but didn’t like how they did business. IMHO it makes no difference - go for the cheapest - Van handovers are van handovers, you can service where you like and as long as it’s put in the system all orders are equal. If that‘s a dealer close to you bonus.

I made sure to get an order number from DTD immediately, checked it with VW and know for sure it’s in the system. IMHO dealers who tell customers they get them early or because of this or that are practicing good fortune blarney. There are 100 reasons a van may be early (good fortune, low spec, right spec right time) and 100 they may be late (shipping delays, factory shutdowns, tier suppliers going offline due to covid, chip shortages, slower production due to distancing). Reality - it’s a dark art, not helped by the wait and forums ;)

I made sure to get an order number from DTD immediately, checked it with VW and know for sure it’s in the system. IMHO dealers who tell customers they get them early or because of this or that are practicing good fortune blarney. There are 100 reasons a van may be early (good fortune, low spec, right spec right time) and 100 they may be late (shipping delays, factory shutdowns, tier suppliers going offline due to covid, chip shortages, slower production due to distancing). Reality - it’s a dark art, not helped by the wait and forums ;)
I too had an order number within days and the dealer had called to verify a couple of things. I got an unconfirmed build week within 6 weeks, but have then gone on to have 10 more before finally getting a confirmed one 11 months after order! Whilst I don’t know if the Eurovans Ocean orders that came after mine and have been delivered are DTD, I suspect they are, and that my box-ticking addiction has been the reason why mine is delayed...shortages of towbars etc etc but I realise I’ll never know...

I too had an order number within days and the dealer had called to verify a couple of things. I got an unconfirmed build week within 6 weeks, but have then gone on to have 10 more before finally getting a confirmed one 11 months after order! Whilst I don’t know if the Eurovans Ocean orders that came after mine and have been delivered are DTD, I suspect they are, and that my box-ticking addiction has been the reason why mine is delayed...shortages of towbars etc etc but I realise I’ll never know...
Hi, what does a VW order number look like, is it the PO from the dealer to the factory or something else..?

I don’t have an order number from our dealer (but do have a receipt for the deposit, so want to ask for one once I know what I’m asking for. I placed our order at the end of June 2021.

Hi, what does a VW order number look like, is it the PO from the dealer to the factory or something else..?

I don’t have an order number from our dealer (but do have a receipt for the deposit, so want to ask for one once I know what I’m asking for. I placed our order at the end of June 2021.
It’s an 8-digit number that for me appears on a single A4 pdf from the dealer titled Vehicle Detail. If you give it to VW Chat they can update you on your order status

Not sure what options are being added here. The standard spec on the T6.1 is so well spec’d compared to previous years.

Only things I added were

Grey
Comfort Mattress
Shower attachment
Mud Flaps
Tow bar prep
80L tank.

Last edited:
It’s an 8-digit number that for me appears on a single A4 pdf from the dealer titled Vehicle Detail. If you give it to VW Chat they can update you on your order status
Great, thanks. our dealer did say they’d send the full order to us but I haven’t seen it so will chase them.

Great, thanks. our dealer did say they’d send the full order to us but I haven’t seen it so will chase them.
Same - 8 digit number. When the put the full order in on the VW ordering system (which then puts the van in the very long build Q) the ordering system gives them a number. As orders are done direct into the factory system Its a VW number, not a dealer one. I used to have to manage factory system integration between DMS (dealer management systems) and it used to be a bit of a nightmare. If you ordered in June you need to hassle the dealer for a number - they may have delayed adding it on for their own purposes and you need to guard against that (delaying the order to meet sales targets in different months).

Not sure what options are being added here. The standard spec on the T6.1 is so well spec’d compared to previous years.

Only things I added were

Grey
Comfort Mattress
Shower attachment
Mud Flaps
Tow bar prep
80L tank.
My options in the OP but similar with a few bits more. Looking at yours if you were to get issues it would be tow bar prep - parts for tow bars seem to cause a bottleneck.

Only things I added were

Grey
Comfort Mattress
Shower attachment
Mud Flaps
Tow bar prep
80L tank.
I also added wood floor, DCC, pro media, sports pack, storage drawer...

My options in the OP but similar with a few bits more. Looking at yours if you were to get issues it would be tow bar prep - parts for tow bars seem to cause a bottleneck.

I’ve never used a tow bar but I know it’s a real hassle to get them fitted afterwards.

Only things I added were

Grey
Comfort Mattress
Shower attachment
Mud Flaps
Tow bar prep
80L tank.

Forgot, I also add the free 17” Woodstock alloy wheels, much nicer than the standard one.

The 8 digit order number usually begins with 30 or 31. If you don't have it, go on VW Chat and they can search/locate using your name. Will be able to tell you if and when the order was accepted at the factory (Status 00)

Last edited:
The 8 digit order number usually begins with 30 or 31. If you don't have it, go on VW Chat and they can search/locate using your name. Will be able to tell you if and when the order was accepted at the factory (Status 00)
Confirmed - mine starts in 31.

Hi All - soon to be new member (waiting till closer to the Cali delivery to join fully and use discounts) with an order placed a week ago for delivery in "Q2" - So anytime between April and June 2022!

Friend of mine actually got one recently and seeing her and her partner in the wild in it gave me the bug and after weeks of research and lurking pulled the trigger. My experience is over here.

So - what did I eventually order? With the LONG LONG LONG wait I decided to go all out and get the exact spec I wanted, no compromises and save the difference during the wait. Things I hummed and hawed a lot over:

Colour - The images on VW are terrible and I used this forum and videos to get a better idea.
Engine - 150 vs 205 - which to get long term, would 150 be enough? I never once thought about 4WD.

I knew it was an Ocean I wanted, in the end, with all the extras as std, was the same as a fully loaded Beach.

Final order was:

6.1 Ocean - reasons above
204 Engine - mainly because I like the grunt and it's the same as my Tiguan. 150 by all accounts is mostly fine but I read some steep hill issues and I like to visit the lakes.
Colour - White and Green. I thought about white, blue and red, but in the end this is THE colour. I may yet change for the white/bronze. But, maybe not. I can change up to Xmas apparently.
Wood floor - Just looks great in the videos and sets off the grey interior better. As I'm not tap dancing in there sure the durability will be fine.
Bed Mattress. Should be std TBH.
Upgraded to 18 Palmerston. They just look amazing with the white/green paint
Shower attachment - some great tricks out there to use as a full shower and great to wash dirty boots
80L tank - almost a no brainer for the price
Sat Nav Upgrade - I have this on the Tiguan and would not be with out it
Driver assistance upgrade - same, I have on mine and things like lane steering are vital for a chilled long ride
Storage net thing - probably not required, but hey ho, in for a penny.

And now, as mentioned on my previous post - just wait. With so many options I'm also shooting myself in the foot slightly because one kink in the covid ridden supply chain and its delays for me. But still. The Camper I want is the camper I want.

First try out mid Sept as we have one hired for a tour of Northern Wales for a week. Porta potties here we come.

Happy to answer any questions on my reasoning or comments on the spec - looking forward to lurking more with some interaction here and there.

View attachment 82132