Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Member with a Beach

K

Kevster1000

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi, bought a Beach a few months ago that we really enjoy. Been looking for the right van for an eternity so now have free time in the evening! We need some roof bars for taking toys to the beach and some side bars just because they look good. Any suggestions? Thanks

Surfer / windsurfer?

Still waiting for our Beach but roof bars will be one of the first things we buy. Just wondering if we need steps too! I was just going to go for the VW bars, I haven't looked at any alternatives.

Might eventually go for back side bars too when fiances allow.

Welcome ,
lots on side bars , roof bars,....if do some search on the forum.
Beware: some non VW sidebars sometimes not go with the jackingpoints...

I have genuine VW bafs, not the prettiest but sturdy and easy to fit and remove.

I recommend Thule roof bars.
Thule bar profile type
Products mounted on the roof rack on your car may require an adapter to be fitted safely.

By specifying your bar profile type, the Thule Buyer's Guide will let you know if adapters are required.

Thule WingBar
Wing-shaped profile with T-track.

Thule SlideBar
Square slideable profile with T-track. Bar slides out to help you load.

Thule SquareBar
Square profile with no T-track.

Thule ProBar
Professional bar that handles heavier weight. With T-track.

Odoslané z môjho iPad cez Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, got it. Thule Wing for the roof.

Suggestions for side bars?

There is a thread on the thule roof bars which outlines the two options for feet. One which is the one you will be recommended to use is a lot higher then the alternative. We bought the lower version which are great. They are a lot closer to the van but there is enough room for footstraps from a windsurf board. Also there is a choice of length of bar. We have the ones which are a bit narrower than the van, again this is fine. You don't need the longer bars.

As for some steps, yes you'll definitely need them! Then you'll get the hang of standing the board by the van near the front and lifting the back end while moving it down the van to gracefully get it in the right place on the rack. (Steps at the back for this manoeuvre.) :)

Check out this post about windsurfing and using the roof https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/any-windsurfers.14927/#post-161604

And here's one on the foot packs for the thule bars https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...ck-height-751-or-753.13200/page-2#post-163187

Hi, thank you for the response. Chosen 753 and wing bars through Halfords. They had difficulty as 751 was recommended by VW and it took some time to convince them otherwise.

Big decision to be made on side bards and choice of steps....

Cheers