Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member - used California with low mileage

S

Silke

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello and many thanks in advance for any advice given. I am looking to buy a used California and have seen a vehicle advertised that has only done 30,000 miles over a period of 7 years. MOT check for the last years show that in some years it has only done 2,500, or up to 5,000 miles. Is this likely to have affected any of the engine or other parts or potentially caused any other problems? Thank you!

Hi Silke,

Welcome to the forum. Check the service history carefully. If it's been regularly serviced and maintained this shouldn't be a problem.

Condition is the important thing.

Many Californias are not primary vehicles and are used for fun.

Low mileage wouldn't worry me if the service record was evidencable and it was in good condition.

Good luck.

Engine should be fine but a lot of other components can be affected by low usage. I speak from experience as our Cali is 8 years old and has only done 22000 miles.
We had to change all the tyres on 8000 miles as they had cracked.
Until now no issues other than standard Cali problems such as the roof corrosion and faulty control panel.
But this week our annual service and MOT cost us £1000! The front suspension struts were replaced due to creaking, along with the antiroll bar links which were seized on. And the brake discs were badly corroded due to lack of use. So along with an air con service big pennies!
Don't be put off but make an allowance for increased service costs if you're thinking if buying something similar

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'd also check the previous MOT certificates for any advisories. (Latest being most important)

That should give you an idea of any impending work.

Is it advertised privately or from a dealer?

Hello and many thanks in advance for any advice given. I am looking to buy a used California and have seen a vehicle advertised that has only done 30,000 miles over a period of 7 years. MOT check for the last years show that in some years it has only done 2,500, or up to 5,000 miles. Is this likely to have affected any of the engine or other parts or potentially caused any other problems? Thank you!
Just remember that although many service items are milage related there are also time limits.
Cambelt - 80,000 miles BUT also 4 yr time limit
DSG oil change - 40,000 miles but also has a time limit
Haldex Oil change - 40,000 miles but also a time limit.

Suspension bushes perish over time and wear can increase if deformed by standing still for prolonged times.

Oil changes should be annual, in my opinion, if not used for prolonged periods.

Check it over very carefully or get a AA or RAC check. Factor in for a Major Service and other possible replacements Tyres due to age not tread etc:

Thank you everybody, this is all very useful information as I am completely new to this. The van is advertised by a dealer, has full VW service history, no advisories on the last MOT which was November 2016 and appears to have been looked after very well, new tires for example recently fitted. It would come with 12 months VW warranty. Having compared prices on Autotrader and similar and also on vans for sale on here, I am not sure if 35k is a good price for it, given that it is a 2010 van. There are 2014 vans advertised with similar mileage which are only marginally more expensive. Any thoughts on this - thank you!

I'd also check the previous MOT certificates for any advisories. (Latest being most important)

That should give you an idea of any impending work.

Is it advertised privately or from a dealer?
The van is advertised by a dealer, has full VW service history, no advisories on the last MOT which was November 2016 and appears to have been looked after very well, new tires for example recently fitted. It would come with 12 months VW warranty. Having compared prices on Autotrader and similar and also on vans for sale on here, I am not sure if 35k is a good price for it, given that it is a 2010 van. There are 2014 vans advertised with similar mileage which are only marginally more expensive. Any thoughts on this - thank you!

Thank you everybody, this is all very useful information as I am completely new to this. The van is advertised by a dealer, has full VW service history, no advisories on the last MOT which was November 2016 and appears to have been looked after very well, new tires for example recently fitted. It would come with 12 months VW warranty. Having compared prices on Autotrader and similar and also on vans for sale on here, I am not sure if 35k is a good price for it, given that it is a 2010 van. There are 2014 vans advertised with similar mileage which are only marginally more expensive. Any thoughts on this - thank you!
How much do you think a 12 month VW Warranty is worth?
This should be taken into consideration.

Most depreciation is in the first 2 years. Thereafter the annual depreciation is very low. What engine size is it? If it is a 180 from 2010/2011 then you should be aware that there could be a problem with the engine oil consumption kicking in at about 60,000 miles. Not ALL 180 engines from this era are affected but some are.

Thanks WelshGas, it is the smaller, 140 engine.
OK. Just remember with a genuine warranty it means the vehicle should be in good condition as being sold by VW, so all the hidden bits should have been checked. A NON-Dealership sale with no warranty, well?????, who knows.

The van is advertised by a dealer, has full VW service history, no advisories on the last MOT which was November 2016 and appears to have been looked after very well, new tires for example recently fitted. It would come with 12 months VW warranty. Having compared prices on Autotrader and similar and also on vans for sale on here, I am not sure if 35k is a good price for it, given that it is a 2010 van. There are 2014 vans advertised with similar mileage which are only marginally more expensive. Any thoughts on this - thank you!

I'm sure you won't find this helpful but...........

If you think it's too expensive, don't buy it.

BUT - 12 months warranty is worth a lot! New tyres - are they a good make? Does it have extras?

Google for reviews of the dealer, I did and found one with a really good reputation (in my case, not a VW dealer but a motorhome dealer)

If it's any help, I paid £32k last year for a 2007 auto with (I think) 67000 miles and a number of extras. I knew it was too much but I also knew that I had missed a number of good buys through not upping my budget. I love my van and I'm happy that I paid what I did because I might not have got one till this year if I had held out for a lower price.

Last edited:

A friend of mine had a mint condition 2009 Cali low mileage, full VWSH, one owner and brought originally from same dealer which he enquired to part-ex in at VW for a new vehicle (not Cali). They offered him £19k for it. At which point a swift exit was made, sold privately for £9k more and different brand (non VAG) purchased. Hopefully, this kind of profit isn't being made on this one...

Back