Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Member having problems!

B

brucetnw

VIP Member
In August this year I bought a second-hand 10-month-old California from our local VW dealer. Before buying I noticed damp patches on the roof fabric from water ingress. I was told this was not a problem and it would be dealt with before I purchased the van.
The dealership fitted new roof seals and bellows.
I was driving California a few days after delivery and my wife noticed a few trips coming through the slatted roof. We pulled over, pulled back the slatted roof to be met with a face full of water!
The dealer took the California back cleared the drain holes checked the roof to find water was still coming in. Over a period of a month and many discussions with VW UK a new roof was fitted. New bellows and roof fabric.
They thought the original fault had been caused by water entering under the roof rack rails
At this point I had owned the vehicle for nearly 2 months and had about four days use.
The van was delivered back to us, problems sorted, now we can start enjoying the California or so we thought.
A couple of days ago we drove down to Cornwall in wet weather. Today being dry I decided to open the roof to check that all was well. In the top right-hand corner of the roof water had again stained the fabric. The new roof was still leaking.
I have contacted the dealership along with a photo of the new problem.
Can anybody help me with my legal rights? What happens if the problem cannot be sorted as the vehicle is still under warranty?

I'd just reject it. Sales of Goods Act, Fitness for Purpose and is it deemed of reasonable quality? No its not. They known your legal rights but are probably hoping you don't.
If in doubt contact Trading Standards.

You could choose another dealer to fit you a new roof
Some are better than others :thumb where are you based :?:

I'm based near Taunton although the purchase was in Surrey

brucetnw said:
I'm based near Taunton although the purchase was in Surrey

You're very near me. If you do use another dealer you could try Carrs in Exeter

James

Thank you for the information James. I'm waiting for a reply from my dealer in Surrey. There is a VW van centre in Bridgwater close by, but I don't think they have dealt with California roof problems. Do you know if the Exeter dealer sells and deals with Californias on a regular basis? Bruce

The VW dealer in Bridgwater does not deal with Californias. He sent me to exeter.

Thank you for the information. Bruce

I have seen one leaking roof where the water was getting in under the black ends of the roof rails on the roof. Took them off and re-sealed and all was well. Could be worth looking at if the new roof is still leaking as these are removed and refitted to the replacement roof if not on there from the factory when it comes through.

cheers

Thanks for the information I will mention it to the dealer. Bruce

There is also Listers at Worcester the other way up M5 I have heard good about both Carrs Exeter and Listers at Worcester. I live in Honiton and have a Cali on order from Listers, so would be interested on how you get on, not sure who will do my servicing yet.
Good Luck

Thank you for the feedback. I contacted the head of business at my dealership in Surrey. They are going to send their demo California down to me while they sort the problem out.I can't ask better than that. Fingers crossed this will be the final time.