Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New GPS gadget

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
May be of some interest to a few of you; recently bought a Garmin Forerunner 910xt. Designed for triathletes, it's the only wrist mounted device with a barometer (so accurate altitude) and is waterproof.

For outdoor swims it uses GPS, for indoor it uses accelerometers and "knows" what stroke you're doing and counts lengths.

Tried it for all but outdoor swimming and its amazing!!

http://sites.garmin.com/forerunner910xt/

GPS location is very slow and not great connection in my area with garmin forerunners ,so may try a different make next time ..:)

choplee said:
GPS location is very slow and not great connection in my area with garmin forerunners ,so may try a different make next time ..:)

I usually get a lock within 30 seconds but one session did take a couple of minutes. It tells you the signal strength.

Used it last night when night MTBing. Sadly it didn't warn me about a very slippery root as I glided comically into some rocks. Arm sliced up, leg grazed, decent jacket ripped, minor bike damage but watch survived; phew! Off to whimper a bit.

KernowLad said:
choplee said:

I usually get a lock within 30 seconds but one session did take a couple of minutes. It tells you the signal strength.

Used it last night when night MTBing. Sadly it didn't warn me about a very slippery root as I glided comically into some rocks. Arm sliced up, leg grazed, decent jacket ripped, minor bike damage but watch survived; phew! Off to whimper a bit.

Sadly I have no time from working to get myself sliced up having fun ... Lol ...I maybe tempted with a different brand next time ,but back with my 510 forerunner ,as I got it super cheap new from sweatshop which they realised was a bit to cheap ... Lol

choplee said:
KernowLad said:
choplee said:

Sadly I have no time from working to get myself sliced up having fun ... Lol ...I maybe tempted with a different brand next time ,but back with my 510 forerunner ,as I got it super cheap new from sweatshop which they realised was a bit to cheap ... Lol

Got mine for a rather bargain price from Handtec.

Don't think anyone else makes a waterproof GPS with barometer.

KernowLad said:
choplee said:
KernowLad said:
choplee said:

Got mine for a rather bargain price from Handtec.

Don't think anyone else makes a waterproof GPS with barometer.

I'm not sure I really need a barometer for any of my outdoor sports ,but I'm sure some must need it ...wasted on my scuba diving ... Pmsl :)

I do mostly coast/hill running. GPS height is very inaccurate, barometric height isn't. Apparently.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know the altitude? Is it to work out the total ascent/hill gradients to give you an indication of how hard the run/ride was? I agree GPS altitude is pants - I think MemoryMap (which I use) works out the total ascent/descent based on elevation, but I don't know how that compares to real life ;-)
--Nick

nickstjt said:
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know the altitude? Is it to work out the total ascent/hill gradients to give you an indication of how hard the run/ride was? I agree GPS altitude is pants - I think MemoryMap (which I use) works out the total ascent/descent based on elevation, but I don't know how that compares to real life ;-)
--Nick

Yep, exactly that. If a run has 1500ft of climbing in it, it's usually quite tough! Same with riding.

I went through the garmin 405 when marathon training and tried many devices. I now just stick with my phone.

Android phone running 'My Tracks' app free. They recently updated it, it uses GPS so good for altitude, speed direction, (obviously no good for swimming) But i use it for running, biking and sea kayaking.

Have tried finding a heart rate monitor that will work with it, but not yet found a reason to spend more on it....

MKRW said:
I went through the garmin 405 when marathon training and tried many devices. I now just stick with my phone.

Android phone running 'My Tracks' app free. They recently updated it, it uses GPS so good for altitude, speed direction, (obviously no good for swimming) But i use it for running, biking and sea kayaking.

Have tried finding a heart rate monitor that will work with it, but not yet found a reason to spend more on it....

I have SportyPal Pro on my PAYG Sony Ericsson Active (waterproof, barometer, small, etc) which was good when it worked but it kept on stopping for no reason. Also not great for swim training. The watch is far comfier and more sophisticated and does pool lengths indoors which is very handy!

Don't use a HRM - don't feel the need although this is unusual...!

Back