Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New GHIC for UK state pensioners

An important section on that page is...

From 1 January 2021, GHICs and most UK EHICs will not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. If you’re visiting those countries, make sure you have travel insurance with health cover.

An important section on that page is...

From 1 January 2021, GHICs and most UK EHICs will not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. If you’re visiting those countries, make sure you have travel insurance with health cover.
The EHIC won’t cover you in any country unless you are UK State Pensioner or meet one of the other narrow specified criteria.

I read that page very differently. Does it not say that existing EHICs remain valid (except for Norway etc) and that GHIC will be issued to new applicants? The difference for pensioners seems to be that they can still apply for EHIC?

I read that page very differently. Does it not say that existing EHICs remain valid (except for Norway etc) and that GHIC will be issued to new applicants? The difference for pensioners seems to be that they can still apply for EHIC?
That is incorrect. The EHIC only remains valid for pensioners, except in Norway etc, if they already have one, or if they apply now they get a GHIC which offers the same cover as the old EHIC, with Norway etc no longer covered.

If you are not a state pensioner and don’t meet any of the other criteria the EHIC does not cover you anywhere.

Start at the top of the page...
A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the EU country.

The UK has reached an agreement on healthcare when visiting the EU.

You can continue to use an EHIC or get a provisional replacement certificate (PRC) if you need treatment and don't have a card.

If you apply for a card now, you'll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC. These pages and the application portal will still refer to EHIC until 4 January 2021.

You do not need to apply for a GHIC if you already have an EHIC. Your EHIC remains valid in the EU until it expires.

From 1 January 2021, GHICs and most UK EHICs will not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.

That is incorrect. The EHIC only remains valid for pensioners, except in Norway etc, if they already have one, or if they apply now they get a GHIC which offers the same cover as the old EHIC, with Norway etc no longer covered.

If you are not a state pensioner and don’t meet any of the other criteria the EHIC does not cover you anywhere.

Can you point to the wording that you reached that conclusion from? I have also read the page and my understanding was currently issued EHICs will remain valid (bar Norway etc), but any application from now on will be for a GHIC (except for those special cases)

There was an explicit statement that you don’t need to apply for a GHIC if you currently have an existing EHIC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't see it stated anywhere that the continuation of existing EHICs is limited to pensioners.

As quoted by rod_vw.

The only difference for UK pensioners seems to be that those resident in the EU will be able to get a new EHIC.

Last edited:
Start at the top of the page...
A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the EU country.

The UK has reached an agreement on healthcare when visiting the EU.

You can continue to use an EHIC or get a provisional replacement certificate (PRC) if you need treatment and don't have a card.

If you apply for a card now, you'll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC. These pages and the application portal will still refer to EHIC until 4 January 2021.

You do not need to apply for a GHIC if you already have an EHIC. Your EHIC remains valid in the EU until it expires.

From 1 January 2021, GHICs and most UK EHICs will not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.
I drew my conclusion from this section. Which states inly the people listed can get a new EJIC/GHIC after 1 Jan 2021. I interpreted this as meaning the EHIC remains valid for those groups. I am not so confident now, as the introduction above does state that EHICS remain valid. Does this mean it remains valid for everybody or only those groups entitled to apply after Jan 2021?

Using a new UK EHIC from 1 January 2021​

Some people may be able to get a new UK-issued EHIC which will remain valid after 1 January 2021.

You can apply if you're:

• an EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic or Liechtenstein citizen living in the UK by 31 December 2020
  • a UK State Pensioner or receiving some other exportable benefits, and you have a registered S1 form or E121
  • a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another) by 31 December 2020, for as long as you continue to be a frontier worker in the host state, and you’re eligible for an S1 form or E106
  • a worker posted to work in another EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland by your UK employer, where the country has agreed to let the posting continue
  • an eligible family member or dependant of one of the above
  • a UK student studying in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland by 31 December 2020

I drew my conclusion from this section. Which states inly the people listed can get a new EJIC/GHIC after 1 Jan 2021. I interpreted this as meaning the EHIC remains valid for those groups. I am not so confident now, as the introduction above does state that EHICS remain valid. Does this mean it remains valid for everybody or only those groups entitled to apply after Jan 2021?

Using a new UK EHIC from 1 January 2021​

Some people may be able to get a new UK-issued EHIC which will remain valid after 1 January 2021.

You can apply if you're:

• an EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic or Liechtenstein citizen living in the UK by 31 December 2020
  • a UK State Pensioner or receiving some other exportable benefits, and you have a registered S1 form or E121
  • a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another) by 31 December 2020, for as long as you continue to be a frontier worker in the host state, and you’re eligible for an S1 form or E106
  • a worker posted to work in another EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland by your UK employer, where the country has agreed to let the posting continue
  • an eligible family member or dependant of one of the above
  • a UK student studying in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland by 31 December 2020
I don’t know if you noticed but this page has recently changed and it previously gave the distinct impression that it would only be valid for those who remained eligible to apply foe a new card. Prior to the change, that eligibility list was very limited but did included pensioners. That seems to have now changed, presumably due to the recent agreement reached with the EU.

I have a feeling the page will change and be clearer after 4.1.21. Just checked and my card is still valid until 2022, so should have worked itself out by then and become clearer...fingers crossed ;)

I listened to a news report two days ago on "how the Brexit agreement affects you" and three items I noted were:
EHIC would still be valid and
UK driving licences accepted without need for international driving licence and
No requirement for insurance green card in any country where it was not previously required.

This BBC article states all EHICs remain valid until their expiry date, upon which they can be replaced by GHICS. So it looks like pensioners will be able to apply for EHICS which cover Norway, Switzerland etc. and all EU countries, but the rest of us will will only covered in all EU countries excluding Norway etc. Which is very good news.

I think that the Govt webpages referenced above indicate that continued application in Norway etc and renewal of existing EHICs applies to UK pensioners (and possibly some others) resident in the EU, not to UK pensioners in general.

I think that the Govt webpages referenced above indicate that continued application in Norway etc and renewal of existing EHICs applies to UK pensioners (and possibly some others) resident in the EU, not to UK pensioners in general.
I don’t think so, from this paragraph in the original link:

If you’re visiting those countries, make sure you have travel insurance with health cover and check the GOV.UK travel advice.

I have just applied, as a UK state pensioner, for a new EHIC. My current one expires in May 2021. My application via the NHS website was refused as ineligible.

Ok, the link below suggests that Johna is correct in stating that UK pensioners living in the EU can apply for a UK EHIC/ GHIC. Nobody, including pensioners with a UK EHIC or GHIC is covered Norway etc after 1st Jan 2021.

it is however not very clear.

I have just applied, as a UK state pensioner, for a new EHIC. My current one expires in May 2021. My application via the NHS website was refused as ineligible.
Try again after Jan 4th. You should be eligible for a GHIC. It looks like only UK pensioners living in the EU will be able to get a new UK EHIC, and only this type of EHIC will still cover in Norway etc. Your GHIC will cover all of the EU but not Norway etc. It is not clear though.

Oh well that’s about as clear as mud..The other thing that bothers me is that you won’t be allowed to take any meat or milk based products into the EU. Normally we stock or fridge with lots of goods that we can’t buy in France or Spain. How many brits are going to be caught out with that one.

Oh well that’s about as clear as mud..The other thing that bothers me is that you won’t be allowed to take any meat or milk based products into the EU. Normally we stock or fridge with lots of goods that we can’t buy in France or Spain. How many brits are going to be caught out with that one.
i just saw this one which will catch a few people out too.

Today's Gov. information relating to France but gives a guide to what to do when travelling abroad, as EU now will be. Note advice to take Insurance out in addition to the card.

Healthcare​

You should get a free UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. If you already have an EHIC it will still be valid as long as it remains in date.

The GHIC or EHIC entitles you to state provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as French nationals. If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the NHS Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999 to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

It’s important to take out appropriate travel insurance for your needs. A GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and you should have both before you travel. It does not cover all health-related costs, for example, medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment and non-urgent treatment. Read more about what your travel insurance should cover.

If you’re living in France, you can also find more information on healthcare for residents in our Living In France guide.

If you need medication while in France, remember to bring a prescription with you.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 for an English speaking emergency service and ask for an ambulance. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment you should contact your insurance/medical assistance company immediately.

i just saw this one which will catch a few people out too.

At the beginning of 2020 we were advised to put Customs dec forms on all the parcels that we sent within the EU..Mainly because nobody had any idea what was going on. I just warned customers about the ongoing situation, never had any problems..All countries have different rates in which customs duty and tax is paid and some are very strict like Norway (non EEC).

Does that include Marmite? If not, not too bothered.

That's how I read it to.

Back