Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Draught Excluder From Outdoor Revolution!

Two questions:

1. Is this configured to a specific underbody height? Eg. our Cali is lowered by 30mm and has side bars, so quite different to standard ride height and without side bars

2. Is the inflatable aspect safe given the location of the overnight heater on right had side behind front wheel? Ie. Are you sure that the inflatable won’t touch the heater/ heater exhaust?

Thanks

Some interesting thoughts from people, we'll get our hands on one very shortly so we should be able to answer some of these questions very soon.

Without wanting to be negative, I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to spend money and use up valuable Cali packing space on this. And then when you arrive you have to pump it up, deflate it and pack it away when you leave. What a hassle. Pair it with a nice awning and perhaps also bring an excavator to make a nice driveway for the van. A picket fence, some lights, a swimming pool and guardhouse maybe?

As you might have guessed, I prefer to 'travel light'. But that said, good that you are introducing new products in the shop and trying to facilitate those that like to 'set up camp'.

Two questions:

1. Is this configured to a specific underbody height? Eg. our Cali is lowered by 30mm and has side bars, so quite different to standard ride height and without side bars

2. Is the inflatable aspect safe given the location of the overnight heater on right had side behind front wheel? Ie. Are you sure that the inflatable won’t touch the heater/ heater exhaust?

Thanks
I had similar thoughts about it being incompatible with the heater exhaust on a Cali. But then again if you have an awning up I thought you shouldnt be using the heater anyway because of nasty fumes?

Theres an absolute minute amount of fumes from the heater & its vented to fresh air under the van so disperses quickly. I don't worry about not using it if there's an awning up.

This blocker, as long as it doesn't actually touch the heater exhaust should stop even more fumes as well as the draughts.
It should work well with the comfort awning sides to make the enclosure a bit more dog escape proof.

Theres an absolute minute amount of fumes from the heater & its vented to fresh air under the van so disperses quickly. I don't worry about not using it if there's an awning up.

This blocker, as long as it doesn't actually touch the heater exhaust should stop even more fumes as well as the draughts.
It should work well with the comfort awning sides to make the enclosure a bit more dog escape proof.
Thats good to know Andy thanks. I need to look under the van and look where the heater exhaust actually is! Dog security was also on my mind when I saw this - could be a useful addition.

:) Haha - hope so - our pup has a tendency to ‘explore’ things with her teeth!

Can it be used as a jack? So we could remove two wheels at once.
:bananadance2

Only £79 according to manufacturers website.
On a calm day just fill it with water for a lovely warm solar shower before tea.

At first l thought, "what ever next". Another 2.5 kg of plastic that's going to end up in land fill. Having reconsidered it. It could be really useful if you've got a small dog, to deny access under the van, and also as a draught excluder if anyone is sleepy in the awning. Nice one.

Fiamma charge about the same for a flat plastic sheet with a couple of suckers on it - in that context its a reasonable price.

In any other context thats an awful lot of money for a small inflatable.

I like the concept of a draught excluder and puppy/dog guard but agree it seems a bit of hassle to blow up and seems expensive.
There are a few manufacturers that produce material versions that fold flat although most appear to be on back order.
Therefore i have had a go at making my own, i ordered kite material (2M x 5M) bungee cord and clips, nylon thread and eyelits all from various shops on the internet, it all came to about £30.00 and enough to make 2 sets.
Now its been along time since i was at School at home economics supposed to be using the sewing machine to sew a pillow case but actually sewing my mates jacket pockets so he could not put his hands in!
The idea is that the bungee cord goes round the tyres and you peg the eyelits down to the ground, you leave the eyelits pegged down if you drive off and they give a guide to line your tyres up with when you return to fix your awning back.
You can also colour code against your van.
20210206_111409.jpg

This looks brilliant - really great DIY solution. But can I ask - does it work ok on the sliding door side and any issues with the heater exhaust?

Thanks, yes works on the sliding door side as it is just above the rail, i have not had the opportunity to use it with the heater yet so will have to let you know.
Working on mark 2 with hopefully improved sewing lines.

Out of interest @Mattiow, what is the rationale behind kite material? That seems quite a specific choice so presume it has some specific desirable proprieties

It is durable, windproof (to a degree), it is manufactured in way that prevents tears when cutting and sewing, it seemed a logical choice.

Not so bothered about draught exclusion, we’re camping after all! But did once have issues with a fellow camper’s cat entering our awning by going under the van. Not sure it would be cat proof though.

Not sure if any of the gap filling devices shown can adapt to an angled gap if ramps or air suspension levelling are required.

Various caravan gap fillers that I've had previously had enough material to compensate for all but the worst gap front to rear differences.

Back