Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Club Joker Owner

J

JawaJaq123456

Vehicle
T6.1 Westafalia club joker
Thanks for accepting us into the group. We have just taken ownership of our Westfalia Club Joker High Top from Wandahome. We're new to campervans, having had tents, trailer tents & caravans in the past and looking forward to getting out and about in our Joker.

Welcome!!! I love the Joker high top. I just looked again at one at Campersales last Saturday.

Eventually as first campervan I stayed mainstream - Cali because of the boot and its use as a car.
If I could do more camping trips I'd think again at a Joker or a Nugget LWB

Please post pictures.

Hello!

Im looking into a Joker hightop as a daily driver and wonder how the heatingsystem works with winterclimate?
Is the insulation enough to leave water in the system when the temperature is Done to -20 c ?

hope to get som knowledge from you Jokerowners even though temeratures is more extreme in Sweden then the uk :)

Kind regards,

Alexander

Hello!

Im looking into a Joker hightop as a daily driver and wonder how the heatingsystem works with winterclimate?
Is the insulation enough to leave water in the system when the temperature is Done to -20 c ?

hope to get som knowledge from you Jokerowners even though temeratures is more extreme in Sweden then the uk :)

Kind regards,

Alexander

Hi there, I’ve been in -15C without a problem, however you need to leave the standing heater on even when out of the van or it will freeze. Otherwise it’s a great camper for all seasons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for accepting us into the group. We have just taken ownership of our Westfalia Club Joker High Top from Wandahome. We're new to campervans, having had tents, trailer tents & caravans in the past and looking forward to getting out and about in our Joker.
Hello. We have also recently purchased the High Top Joker and from Wandahome too.
On collection it only had 1 leisure battery and that was 70Ah. The sales leaflet referred to 2 leisure batteries at 95Ah. After 2 return trips to S Cave, we came away with 2 batteries but only 1 was 95Ah, the other 70Ah "as the larger capacity battery would not fit under the passenger seat". A take or leave it situation.
I wonder whether you experienced the same?

Hello. We have also recently purchased the High Top Joker and from Wandahome too.
On collection it only had 1 leisure battery and that was 70Ah. The sales leaflet referred to 2 leisure batteries at 95Ah. After 2 return trips to S Cave, we came away with 2 batteries but only 1 was 95Ah, the other 70Ah "as the larger capacity battery would not fit under the passenger seat". A take or leave it situation.
I wonder whether you experienced the same?
That seems odd to me. It also is not an ideal setup with them connected in parallel with different capacities. I don't have AGM anymore in mind but installed 2 100AH LiPo Lithium batteries. Both fit under the seat just fine in addition to 2 MPPT Victron charge controllers. So I don't believe that at all that the 70Ah couldn't be swapped for a 95Ah but it depends on the dimensions of the battery they are referring to.

That seems odd to me. It also is not an ideal setup with them connected in parallel with different capacities. I don't have AGM anymore in mind but installed 2 100AH LiPo Lithium batteries. Both fit under the seat just fine in addition to 2 MPPT Victron charge controllers. So I don't believe that at all that the 70Ah couldn't be swapped for a 95Ah but it depends on the dimensions of the battery they are referring to.
I have concerns about the 2 different leisure batteries as well as their being at variance with the product specification. The former is dealt with on the net, much beyond my understanding but it seems a majority of posters think, as do you, it not a good idea.
Clearly Wandahome do not share this view and after a month of emails on the subject and return journeys to try to sort this out, their current explanation for the different batteries is that the ones they ordered do not fit. So that's all right then. I know from another vendor that 2 x 95Ah do fit.
I first picked up the Joker on Friday 13th October - given the date and the name, I should have been forewarned of trouble ahead!

Last edited:
Further to my battery concerns as above, I would appreciate comments on 2 issues:

1) The batteries are Start Stop AGMs. I appreciate that these will work but are they to be recommended for "house" batteries?

2) After little use of my Joker in the last couple of weeks, the 70Ah battery voltage had dropped to 11.7v, the 90Ah battery showed 12.54v.
Hooking up to EHU increased the 70Ah battery to 12.8v, the 90Ah battery remained at 12.54v.
The voltage across the terminals whilst being charged on both EHU and vehicle alternator showed 13.4v across the 70Ah battery and 12.54v across the 90Ah battery.
Using the "house" electrics (off EHU) dropped the voltage on the 70Ah battery but left the 90Ah battery unchanged.
Are there some clever electronics involved here that flattens one battery before involving the other in both charging and discharging?
Or has there been a slip up in the wiring?
Thanks.
Phil

It turns out that standard Westfalia battery issue is a 75Ah and 90Ah leisure battery, not as Wandahome advertised.
It's also the case that the latter is not properly connected as it neither discharges not receives charge.
It's coming up for 4 months since I bought the van new and signalled immediately that there was a battery problem.
Several return visits and hours of waiting and still not fixed.
A collect and fix before Christmas was delayed due to a 3 week shutdown and proposed collection to fix 2 weeks ago was called off as there was no technician to do the work.
An email sent 2 days ago asking for a new date has not generated a response.
But what to do? Drive to the South Coast Westfalia dealer? Blockade Wandahome? Laugh in disbelief?
So far it seems that Wandhome exists to make Fawlty Towers look good - or have I just been unlucky?
Their website testimonials suggest the latter.

Phil

It turns out that standard Westfalia battery issue is a 75Ah and 90Ah leisure battery, not as Wandahome advertised.
It's also the case that the latter is not properly connected as it neither discharges not receives charge.
It's coming up for 4 months since I bought the van new and signalled immediately that there was a battery problem.
Several return visits and hours of waiting and still not fixed.
A collect and fix before Christmas was delayed due to a 3 week shutdown and proposed collection to fix 2 weeks ago was called off as there was no technician to do the work.
An email sent 2 days ago asking for a new date has not generated a response.
But what to do? Drive to the South Coast Westfalia dealer? Blockade Wandahome? Laugh in disbelief?
So far it seems that Wandhome exists to make Fawlty Towers look good - or have I just been unlucky?
Their website testimonials suggest the latter.

Phil
Are you saying nothing works off your leisure batteries?

The factory fit leisure bats are two different sizes 75 and I thought 90 had two jokers with this.
You will only get a couple of days out of them when running heater/fridge etc. unless you drive or get some solar setup.
My first joker I fitted two 110AMG fitted no probs (this was years ago before lithium were heated or cheap).

Are you saying nothing works off your leisure batteries?

The factory fit leisure bats are two different sizes 75 and I thought 90 had two jokers with this.
You will only get a couple of days out of them when running heater/fridge etc. unless you drive or get some solar setup.
My first joker I fitted two 110AMG fitted no probs (this was years ago before lithium were heated or cheap).
75 & 90 in mine too! Wonder why?

I'm wondering whether I have got the battery technology wrong. My main leisure battery is 70Ah and the additional is 95Ah.
The electrics in the habitable part of the van work fine but am I right in thinking there must be something amiss if with use, the voltage on the 70Ah drop but that on the 95Ah remains the same.
And furthermore, if I put a voltmeter on whilst attached to the mains or with the engine running, a charging voltage 14v+, only appears across the 70Ah battery.
Might it be the counterintuitive case (to me) that one battery is run down before the other is brought into being?

I'm wondering whether I have got the battery technology wrong. My main leisure battery is 70Ah and the additional is 95Ah.
The electrics in the habitable part of the van work fine but am I right in thinking there must be something amiss if with use, the voltage on the 70Ah drop but that on the 95Ah remains the same.
And furthermore, if I put a voltmeter on whilst attached to the mains or with the engine running, a charging voltage 14v+, only appears across the 70Ah battery.
Might it be the counterintuitive case (to me) that one battery is run down before the other is brought into being?
It was a fair few years ago when I looked into the battery set up so have forgotten most of it as have sold both jokers I had.
But due to the difference sizes they work differently.
The smaller battery is the main one which keeps things ticking over.
The bigger battery is an optional extra and will only be there if you paid the extra £299.
Maybe worth joining the Facebook group as you will probably find all the info and answers of any future probs (never used it myself, but few on here have).
wandahomes is pretty new to selling westy products, but if you aren’t having issues with the leisure side of things why would you mess around with it (may invalidate your westy warranty).

I'm trying to establish whether I do have a warranty issue.
Should both leisure batteries share the load? I would have expected that they did.
At the moment, it looks as though 1 battery does all the work and the other is there for the ride.
If they should share the load, then I have a warranty issue.
That is what I am trying to establish.
For those who did have x 2 leisure batteries, did the voltages of both appear on the console? Only the active battery voltage shows on my console. On the face of it, the second battery does not exist.

Sorry to read of your problems.

I listened to a Motorhome Matt podcast a while back where someone asked about mixing leisure batteries and he said absolutely no. There were several good reasons around charging and use, unfortunately I’ve been looking for the episode but unable to find it. It seemed pretty sound advice, I’ll keep looking in case I can find it.

I would also say your consumer rights should protect you as you have been supplied with a product which is not the same as the specification.

Good luck with getting it sorted, the Club Joker does look like a lovely vehichle

I'm trying to establish whether I do have a warranty issue.
Should both leisure batteries share the load? I would have expected that they did.
At the moment, it looks as though 1 battery does all the work and the other is there for the ride.
If they should share the load, then I have a warranty issue.
That is what I am trying to establish.
For those who did have x 2 leisure batteries, did the voltages of both appear on the console? Only the active battery voltage shows on my console. On the face of it, the second battery does not exist.
The display will show about 12.3v normally if the fridge is up to temp and the heating isn’t kicking in.
If the heater is working hardish you will see around 11.7v on display.
I think when it drops below 11.2v the fridge turns off.
With the factory set up and no solar/driving/hookup you will get 2-3day fridge/heater/lights/phone charge (heater low speed set 18 turned off when asleep). If you leave heater on at night then 1 1/2days to 2days at a push.

The heater drains the standard batteries pretty quick isn’t like the Cali as it’s part wet system (boiler) and warm air.

The joker was designed to have the two different batteries so no point watching that thing.

It is a crap set up for £80k-£108k camper.
How many days are you getting?

webbah has a good setup or if you look back at my old posts had a great Solbian panel and frame made for my bronze van.

I use to do the whole summer without hookup in both vans ok but they both had solar.

The display will show about 12.3v normally if the fridge is up to temp and the heating isn’t kicking in.
If the heater is working hardish you will see around 11.7v on display.
I think when it drops below 11.2v the fridge turns off.
With the factory set up and no solar/driving/hookup you will get 2-3day fridge/heater/lights/phone charge (heater low speed set 18 turned off when asleep). If you leave heater on at night then 1 1/2days to 2days at a push.

The heater drains the standard batteries pretty quick isn’t like the Cali as it’s part wet system (boiler) and warm air.

The joker was designed to have the two different batteries so no point watching that thing.

It is a crap set up for £80k-£108k camper.
How many days are you getting?

webbah has a good setup or if you look back at my old posts had a great Solbian panel and frame made for my bronze van.

I use to do the whole summer without hookup in both vans ok but they both had solar.

Thanks! It’s been quite a project to build mine. I’ve learned a ton and my end goal was to build a fully off grid van. It’s now pretty much there, with the exception of 2 to 2.5 months a year (December to mid February) when solar is a struggle. My new BougeRV CIGS panels really help there with 48 bypass diodes per panel to eliminate shading issues, but the angle of the winter sun is still an issue.

If I were to start over with a limited budget my order of priority would be:

1) Replace leisure batteries with 2*100Ah Lithium Phosphate heated batts.
2) Add Victron DC-DC charger for quick charging with alternator.
3) Have a Type 2 Mennekes to CEE 16A adaptor to charge at any AC EV charging station
4) Install a Victron MPPT and start with an external solar panel to use on demand. When budget allows install CIGS panels on the roof

I’ve done all that and more with no mine but it was a lot of trial and changing/upgrading along the way. Read my build thread for more!

I would personally never accept having 2 different size leisure batteries. Thats a joke from Westfalia if true.

Thanks! It’s been quite a project to build mine. I’ve learned a ton and my end goal was to build a fully off grid van. It’s now pretty much there, with the exception of 2 to 2.5 months a year (December to mid February) when solar is a struggle. My new BougeRV CIGS panels really help there with 48 bypass diodes per panel to eliminate shading issues, but the angle of the winter sun is still an issue.

If I were to start over with a limited budget my order of priority would be:

1) Replace leisure batteries with 2*100Ah Lithium Phosphate heated batts.
2) Add Victron DC-DC charger for quick charging with alternator.
3) Have a Type 2 Mennekes to CEE 16A adaptor to charge at any AC EV charging station
4) Install a Victron MPPT and start with an external solar panel to use on demand. When budget allows install CIGS panels on the roof

I’ve done all that and more with no mine but it was a lot of trial and changing/upgrading along the way. Read my build thread for more!

I would personally never accept having 2 different size leisure batteries. Thats a joke from Westfalia if true.

Always keep an eye on your projects.

If I ever had a joker again I would get a bespoke roof rack rails made to fit the existing roof mounting points (front and rear). Then get solar mounted to it (possibly tilt up panels) and slide along..
I noticed a massive difference with that solbian panel mounted on a frame.
Not a fan of stick on, but you do have a great set up.

I was always off grid had 3yrs and a bit of full time in my silver t6 joker.
Enjoy:thumb

Always keep an eye on your projects.

If I ever had a joker again I would get a bespoke roof rack rails made to fit the existing roof mounting points (front and rear). Then get solar mounted to it (possibly tilt up panels) and slide along..
I noticed a massive difference with that solbian panel mounted on a frame.
Not a fan of stick on, but you do have a great set up.

I was always off grid had 3yrs and a bit of full time in my silver t6 joker.
Enjoy:thumb

This mount might interest you!

This mount might interest you!

Need another van first.
Toying with a self build transit trail 350 spend less travel more idea at the mo.
But who knows if a nice joker with no leaks comes up could be tempted but £108k for new 4motion is way out of my happy place :headbang o_O

Need another van first.
Toying with a self build transit trail 350 spend less travel more idea at the mo.
But who knows if a nice joker with no leaks comes up could be tempted but £108k for new 4motion is way out of my happy place :headbang o_O

My dealer informed me that the Club Joker production is coming to an end shortly. Until they decide on what to do with the new Ford/VW based model in the future.

I got lucky and bought 2 year old used from an older gentleman with only 16K Km’s. Saved 35% from new price which helped with the first batch of modifications I did before delivery.

My dealer informed me that the Club Joker production is coming to an end shortly. Until they decide on what to do with the new Ford/VW based model in the future.

I got lucky and bought 2 year old used from an older gentleman with only 16K Km’s. Saved 35% from new price which helped with the first batch of modifications I did before delivery.

Waited two years for my new joker (covid etc) but westfalia are awfully slow any time with builds/delivery dates.
Had a new 4motion joker under £80k brand new but unfortunately to many issues with it to keep.
Dealer was amazing sorting/buying van back didn’t lose a penny in 7mth and 7k miles.
Guess it was bad luck on the quality control side, but I lost my perfect van.
sing happens and made me realise having a posh van isn’t the must have thing it’s the freedom from the 9-5

I'm impressed with your knowledge and abilities which are out of my league BUT I still would like an answer to my batteries situation.
Can it be right that with lights and fridge on for several hours, one leisure battery drops its voltage from 12.4v to 11.4v whilst the other stayed at 12.5v?
Seems wrong to me. But is it? Is there some crazy Westfalia thing going on here?