Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New cherry red Coast on order

Andrew Beale

Andrew Beale

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all,

We ordered a Cherry Red T6.1 Coast in November and should receive it around Easter with a fair wind.

I owned a VW T4 Autosleeper Trooper 20 years ago, and my parents had two T2 Danbury conversions when I was a child, with no seat belts at all in the back.

In more recent years I have had a number of different boats on the south coast, Thames and Great Ouse, but am returning to campervanning for the flexibility of leaving from the front drive in any direction we choose.

We looked at all sorts of campervans but were swayed by the 10.5% discount offered on drive the deal, and by the very low VW HP financing of 2.8%, whereas for all the VW conversions the finance was double at 5.6% via Black Horse.

I also liked the ability to get it serviced/fixed at any VW Commercial vehicles garage, as the cheapest deal from Drive the deal was near Gatwick, whereas we live on the N. London / Herts border.

It will be our only vehicle hence the need for SWB and pop top.

My wife was very keen on the cherry red, and I too think it looks great, in a cheerful happy camper surf wagon kind of way.

It is not certain how the Coast will manage on depreciation compared with the Ocean, but I expect they will be similar, and I would rather not have the added complication of the electric roof. The new Coast was cheaper than nearly all the second hand Oceans we saw, so it made sense to buy new.

The extras bought with the Coast are :

Grey bellows with window
Rear view camera
Towbar preparation
Privacy glass
80l fuel tank
Heated front seats
Opening window / flyscreen in sliding door
Mattress topper

Time will tell whether we have made the right choice of extras.

The VW California Club is a great place to meet like minded people, and we look forward to being part of this fantastic community.

Andrew and Silvia

Sounds great! Just to say though, a lot of us who ordered in November and were expecting delivery for Easter now have provisional build weeks in May, for delivery 6-8 weeks after that. Have you contacted VW chat? Might be worth it to gauge where your order is.

Welcome. We too have a Cherry Coast on order - almost identical options too. As mentioned above, our October order was just pushed back 11 weeks and currently has a provisional build week in May but may change.

Hi all,

We ordered a Cherry Red T6.1 Coast in November and should receive it around Easter with a fair wind.

I owned a VW T4 Autosleeper Trooper 20 years ago, and my parents had two T2 Danbury conversions when I was a child, with no seat belts at all in the back.

In more recent years I have had a number of different boats on the south coast, Thames and Great Ouse, but am returning to campervanning for the flexibility of leaving from the front drive in any direction we choose.

We looked at all sorts of campervans but were swayed by the 10.5% discount offered on drive the deal, and by the very low VW HP financing of 2.8%, whereas for all the VW conversions the finance was double at 5.6% via Black Horse.

I also liked the ability to get it serviced/fixed at any VW Commercial vehicles garage, as the cheapest deal from Drive the deal was near Gatwick, whereas we live on the N. London / Herts border.

My wife was very keen on the cherry red, and I too think it looks great, in a cheerful happy camper surf wagon kind of way.

It is not certain how the Coast will manage on depreciation compared with the Ocean, but I expect they will be similar, and I would rather not have the added complication of the electric roof. The new Coast was cheaper than nearly all the second hand Oceans we saw, so it made sense to buy new.

Grey bellows with window
Rear view camera
Towbar preparation
Privacy glass
80l fuel tank
Heated front seats
Mattress topper

The VW California Club is a great place to meet like minded people, and we look forward to being part of this fantastic community.

Andrew and Silvia
Welcome - nice to have you in the convoy! You should have a few weeks before you have a provisional build date, beyond which you can't change your options (unless your provisional date is cancelled like mine has been 3 times!).
Suggest you consider adding the removeable towbar from the factory, rather than just the prep. There's some suggestion elsewhere on this forum that aftermarket suppliers often don't use the prep, but re-wire and fit their own way regardless, at your expense. And that VW is an expensive way to do it, compared to £768 (less 10% DtD discount) at this stage. This thread is helpful.https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/towbar-still-undecided.38388/post-477542

Hi all,

Grey bellows with window
Rear view camera
Towbar preparation
Privacy glass
80l fuel tank
Heated front seats
Mattress topper

Andrew and Silvia

I don't feel like I have been here long enough to be qualified to say "Welcome", but "Welcome" indeed. Your spec sounds great. We ordered at the end of November and like the others have mentioned, were looking at delivery end of March, but now looking like July. I guess it gives us all plenty of time to absorb the plethora of resource on this forum and continue researching all those "essential" extra purchases that will be "required". Enjoy

Hi all,

Grey bellows with window
Rear view camera
Towbar preparation
Privacy glass
80l fuel tank
Heated front seats
Mattress topper

Andrew and Silvia
Welcome! Love the red, definitely a happy colour.
We had heated seats in our Landcruiser, don’t have them in the Cali & honestly don’t miss them.

Welcome - nice to have you in the convoy! You should have a few weeks before you have a provisional build date, beyond which you can't change your options (unless your provisional date is cancelled like mine has been 3 times!).
Suggest you consider adding the removeable towbar from the factory, rather than just the prep. There's some suggestion elsewhere on this forum that aftermarket suppliers often don't use the prep, but re-wire and fit their own way regardless, at your expense. And that VW is an expensive way to do it, compared to £768 (less 10% DtD discount) at this stage. This thread is helpful.https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/towbar-still-undecided.38388/post-477542
I can talk with experience, ordered a ford van with towbar prep, about 9 months later took it in to ford dealer to fit towbar, they all seem to use companies that come to dealership to fit them, yep, guy didn’t have correct plug in wiring as it had changed from factory, basically had to completely add a new wiring loom etc from scratch, removing all trim etc, what I wanted to avoid as it never goes back perfect. Iv still got a software
/wiring problem with a dash display when I plug into the electrics, still waiting for ford to investigate and fix, van 18 months old.
If you think your need a towbar I’d get factory fit and spread the cost.

Hello and welcome, I'm also a Coast owner to be, cannot wait :)

Thank you to all of you for such a fantastic welcome, what a great place this is to give advice to each other !

As a result of your comments, I have ordered the whole detachable towbar, rather than just the towbar preparation.

Disappointingly despite ordering the van on November 18th, I have now found out that no build week has been allocated yet.

This would appear to indicate that delivery will be summer rather than spring, at least everyone is in the same boat, but still the loss of a season after this awful lockdown will be sorely felt.

Thank you again.

Thank you to all of you for such a fantastic welcome, what a great place this is to give advice to each other !

As a result of your comments, I have ordered the whole detachable towbar, rather than just the towbar preparation.

Disappointingly despite ordering the van on November 18th, I have now found out that no build week has been allocated yet.

This would appear to indicate that delivery will be summer rather than spring, at least everyone is in the same boat, but still the loss of a season after this awful lockdown will be sorely felt.

Thank you again.
Keep us all updated though Andrew. We can all be impatient together ! :Nailbiting

Latest update on the build week for the Cherry Red Coast on order since November 18th 2020.

The build week has been provisionally allocated to Week 10 March 8th, whether this materialises is another matter.

Approx 6 1/2 weeks to handover, so if all goes to plan we should be receiving the Coast towards the end of April.

There are the small matters of Covid and Brexit however, so anything might happen yet.

In fairness to VW Commercial, their chat system for chasing them up for build weeks and delivery details is very efficient, and is the best way of getting info out of them.

Anyway a bit of progress, and like everyone here, we are simply desperate to get away, anywhere will do !

Latest update on the build week for the Cherry Red Coast on order since November 18th 2020.

The build week has been provisionally allocated to Week 10 March 8th, whether this materialises is another matter.

Approx 6 1/2 weeks to handover, so if all goes to plan we should be receiving the Coast towards the end of April.

There are the small matters of Covid and Brexit however, so anything might happen yet.

In fairness to VW Commercial, their chat system for chasing them up for build weeks and delivery details is very efficient, and is the best way of getting info out of them.

Anyway a bit of progress, and like everyone here, we are simply desperate to get away, anywhere will do !
Hi Andrew, have you seen all the other posts concerning this? Other posters saying that the web chat guys are out of the loop and that your dealer should have been issued with a schedule of builds now. The advice from them is to contact dealer and get the latest from them, as it could be more accurate. I have resisted doing either, but your dealer might be worth a shout. Our Coast order was a few weeks after yours and I really hope that your expectations are correct. Good luck

Thank you very much Stuart,
I have checked with the dealer in Crawley today and their info matches that of VW Chat, so if they are all on the same hymn sheet that suggests that maybe, just maybe, we will have a lovely new red Coast by the end of April, and presumably yours will arrive a few weeks after.
Good luck with the wait and best wishes !

Thank you very much Stuart,
I have checked with the dealer in Crawley today and their info matches that of VW Chat, so if they are all on the same hymn sheet that suggests that maybe, just maybe, we will have a lovely new red Coast by the end of April, and presumably yours will arrive a few weeks after.
Good luck with the wait and best wishes !
Now that, my friend, is the best post of the week. Awesome news indeed. Many thanks. Look forward to seeing your pictures in April.

Now that, my friend, is the best post of the week. Awesome news indeed. Many thanks. Look forward to seeing your pictures in April.
But I am still resisting the urge to make any contact. My last web chat said that the build week is June 3rd. I'll take any improvement on that!

But I am still resisting the urge to make any contact. My last web chat said that the build week is June 3rd. I'll take any improvement on that!
I know I said I'd wait but when there was the whole VW chat meltdown discussion I contacted my dealer. We're 175th in the Coast queue with a late March build (no week specified), and code 20, so I'm hoping similar good news for you :) .

I know I said I'd wait but when there was the whole VW chat meltdown discussion I contacted my dealer. We're 175th in the Coast queue with a late March build (no week specified), and code 20, so I'm hoping similar good news for you :) .
Can I ask when you ordered?

Thank you Bartleby and Stuart, I will repost when everything is firmed up,

Looks like VW are getting plenty of Coast orders - I am not surprised as it appears to me to be much better value than the new Oceans (although each to their own). I prefer less hi tech personally, as things that are simpler tend not to go wrong, and if they do break are cheaper to fix !

Welcome!!

May I congratulate you on your good taste and intelligent restraint on the options...my 6.1 Cherry Coast (4 motion) has arrived a bit early....photo attached, wood floor, multi zone climate, acoustic and tinted glass, park heater, 80l tank, rear camera, 2 swivel seats and plug in...I'll put the moondisc alloys and cross climate tyres off my old 6.1 Beach onto it and wrap the top half in white

688140b1-2e0d-44c1-83c1-3fa41c22486d.jpg

Got the extra window up top too...so very like yours

Thank you for the lovely photo of your Cherry Red Coast, you must be thrilled with it ! And amazing that the vehicle has arrived early, a miracle considering lockdown, pandemic, Brexit etc !

I decided against the wooden floor on the grounds that we have two dogs, so they would probably ruin it in a couple of years !