Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali advice....

M

matt-k918

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi to all,

I’ve been floating around on the forum for a while, but not really posted anything so far.
I’m a potential Cali owner and have seen one locally that ticks most of the boxes and would like opinions/info on a couple of queries.

The main one is around the towbar. The one I’m looking at does not have towbar fitted and I raised my concern with the dealer having read on here some issues regarding fitting aftermarket. The dealer has looked into it and will include a towbar install in the price, but I am still not clear on the scale of the works to fit the electrics. I’ve read that the Westfalia kit means that the interior doesn’t need to be removed and I’ve also read that the towbar prep kit has been included standard on more recent vans, but not sure if any of this is fact or just opinion? Has anyone had a towbar fitted aftermarket, and did it cause any problems?

On a more general level, the Cali in question is just less than a year old, 180BiTDI, DSG, about 10k miles, Travel pack, awning, parking sensors, optional alloys, Metallic paint, seat covers, bike rack (and Towbar!) and price is about £45k. Does this sound about right? I’ve looked at a lot of the classified and seems quite reasonable compared to many of the others at main dealers at the moment, but am trying to get a feel for how much more I can realistically haggle them down? I know that this is a really difficult question to answer, but opinions may be useful!

The decision to buy a Cali is a done deal, but whether it is this year or next year is still up for debate. We have 2 young children (1 and 4) and it may be better to wait another year, but I’m keen to just get on and do it. ….. however, the house extension may take a more immediate priority.

Thanks in advance
Matt

I certainly no expert on this, but that price seems expensive for one that's done 10K miles...with negotiated discounts you could get new for not much more...I think!

Are you certain the removable towbar isn't there? I thought it was standard kit on the SE - thought mine didn't have one but it was in the cubby on the back of the bench seat. I am guessing the dealer knows though

Also agree that seems a little pricey; should be some room for movement, some folks have bought new for similar with drive the deal?

towbar and towbar prep kits were additional extras when I ordered mine in October

Thanks for the responses. I priced up a new one to the same spec at todays prices and got to about £57k (ouch.... The Travel Pack is £2.7k on its own!). Was probably more like £55k list at the time. I guessed maybe about 10% off at time of purchase so about £49.5k, although I've only been offered 4% off a new one from my local dealer so far. Another 10% off for the 1yr depreciation including the milage takes it down to the £45k quoted.

WIll take another look at the DTD type sites to compare, but I'd be gobsmacked if you could get a new Cali for 20% off list!?!? I'd be ddelighted to be proved wrong though :D

No idea why people are saying the towbars or even towbar prep is standard these days. I believe they have always been options.

When you go and look at the van If you look on the metal base on the drivers seat. You should see a white sticker.

If you are lucky then you will see a code 1D7 somewhere on that sticker. That means that you just have to get a simple loom to install the towbar electrics and it is quite a simple install.

If you are unlucky then you will have a 1D0 somewhere which means you don't have any towbar prep - in which case you have to have a full towbar wiring install carried out which means running wires from rear bumper, under the van, into the van under the passenger seat - under the drivers seat and into the dash.

It is a pain to do the full install, but not imposible for a keen DIY-er.

Some VW dealers will simply send it to a local towbar fitter, so if they are going to do that make sure you insist on genuine westfalia wiring, some towbar fitters install a simple relay, even if instructed by VW.

We were not in a position to buy a Cali when our kids were very young, but I wish we had been it is the perfect time to travel. Our Kids are getting big now and we still love the Cali, but we need more space so have purchased a side awning, which is great, but you lose some flexibility with setting up and popping out. You don't need a house extension when you have a Cali:

1 - You will never be at home
2 - If you have guests round they can sleep in the Cali

T

matt-k918 said:
Thanks for the responses. I priced up a new one to the same spec at todays prices and got to about £57k (ouch.... The Travel Pack is £2.7k on its own!). Was probably more like £55k list at the time. I guessed maybe about 10% off at time of purchase so about £49.5k, although I've only been offered 4% off a new one from my local dealer so far. Another 10% off for the 1yr depreciation including the milage takes it down to the £45k quoted.

WIll take another look at the DTD type sites to compare, but I'd be gobsmacked if you could get a new Cali for 20% off list!?!? I'd be ddelighted to be proved wrong though :D

+1 from me. Good spec, travel pack with sat nav and climaronic, seat covers and bike rack etc 180 dsg, you won't get that new for that price.

larrylamb said:
matt-k918 said:

+1 from me. Good spec, travel pack with sat nav and climaronic, seat covers and bike rack etc 180 dsg, you won't get that new for that price.

However you will get Ex-Demos for that price. The problems with Ex-Demos is the randomness of specification, so you have to weigh up which is most important "the perfect spec" or the "best price". Also some Ex-Demos only have delivery miles.

We got ours ExDemo and we got 21% off list, although this was nearly 2 years ago.

T

Yes, pot luck with demo spec. Briwy just got a cracking deal on his Cali demo recently but if you are adamant about certain spec/ extras you can order new and get about 10% off list plus you are the first reg owner. Otherwise play the waiting game, there have been some good ex demo deals recently and cheap used Calis on here.

Have you inquired about the van history, could be ex rental??

Based on my recent experience of buying a Cali I would take 20-25% off the list price for a year old vehicle with 10k miles.

It seems to me that selling very high spec 'demonstrators' with a few miles on the clock at significant discounts is the dealers' way of responding to the rumoured T6 being just a year or so away.

PS when I winced at the list price of the Cali I was buying, the dealer's response was "well you can spec a Cali to over £70k"!

larrylamb said:
Have you inquired about the van history, could be ex rental??

Not ex rental, owned by the dealer and provided as a sponsorship deal to local sports team chief exec allegedly.

Personally I think you can find a better deal, 10,000 is a lot of miles in one year.

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty flexible with spec. .... prefer 180 over 140 bit not a deal breaker. Most things are just s nice to have after the awning and parking sensors. The only combo i'd really like isn't possible, which is 4motion and 5th seat so when it comes down to that decision I'd go 4motion. ...... but we're going for 5th seat apparently (well 3rd rail to keep the option)!

There's nothing wrong with the mileage. VW T5s are well capable of many reliable thousands more in their lifetime.

However, it is high by comparison with a privately owned one of the same age.
This could well be used as a lever to get a better price. Any potential purchaser worth their salt will research this and come up with the same view, and now is a quiet time for car sales.

Well worth a push for a better price in my view.

Alan

I'd be expecting over 20% of list, I know of ex demo's with <1000 miles getting 20%.

I would price the spec on Drive the deal site and see what percentage you're getting.

There are quite a few on autotrader - nearly new / demo which are around 45k with very low miles:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used ... e-to/50000

Ignore the first few on that search.

That Donnelly dealer that Reserves posted in NI has another bargain if you are willing to travel - you also get a free "Personal" plate if you but from NI

T

Thanks. I'll do a bit more research!

I reckon the biggest problem with the Cali may be the assumption from friends and relatives that they'll be able to borrow it!

Well the one i'd been looking at has sold over the weekend, so someone obviously thought the price was right...... or was better at haggling than me! The search continues.

The prices will only go up now with summer approaching. We can usually sell ours two times over- the demand is always massive this time of the year. :thumb I'd get in quick if I were you. We have some low mileage 180'DSGs coming up for sale- under 7k with good specifications.