Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New (British) member near Zürich

R_Sargeant_CH

R_Sargeant_CH

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all,
Brit here, Richard, who has lived in Switzerland for going on 30 years, married to a great Swiss lady (Gabriela).
We've owned a LWB AWD T5 multivan since 2008, which we used as a second "car" and to cart our hot air balloons around (we are both pilots). Our main car is a Tesla model S. We're on our second Tesla model S having bought the first 6+ years ago (we upgraded to a higher performance version). We're just waiting for our 2022 California Ocean (going back to a diesel is another story, but suffice it to say we LOVE our Tesla)!
Big balloons are quite strenuous so we downsized to just one single person balloon that we think we can get into the California. If that works, I'll post about our first flights with that setup. The 80 litre propane tank we use is a bit bigger than the tiny butane tank in the Cali though, and we refill it ourselves!
Ordering the Cali here has been interesting. My German is good but I admit there were times when I had to cross-reference to the English brochures! I like reading manuals, so asked the VW dealer to order me an extra set in English.
A second set of winter wheels and tyres are almost mandatory here, so getting that specified was also quite an exercise.
I am quite pleased that we sometimes need two vehicles, but for the weeks that I am using the excellent Swiss public transporty system, I have agreed that the Cali has to be driven by Gabriela to her office once per week. The T5 is pretty comfortable to drive, but the Tesla doesn't need expensive tanks of diesel and is much better in snowy conditions.
If anyone has questions about Calis and Switzerland, I'd be pleased to try to help!