Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Beach Owner.

Big Bloke

Big Bloke

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We've just put the deposit down on a Sept 2013 ex dealer demo Candy White 140 Beach.29 Miles on the clock,that includes our test drive!
2 Seater bench, Awning, Privacy, Thunder Alloys, MFSW, Bluetooth and Mudflaps.Should be picking her up in 3 weeks time :D

That's great and the white is a really good choice, responds well to tinkering and additions.

You've probably been over the Beach section forum, if you haven't, it's a great guide to Beach life with lots of tips, experiences and ideas.

Put some pictures up :)

James

Thanks James......I think that over the last month or two,that I've read every post on here! :crazy
We do have some plans for upgrades and some retro fitting,some of which will have to wait a while.We've had some great inspiration from just reading the forum...I'm sure I'll have some questions once We have it! Been a long time in the planning,I can't wait to collect it in about 3 weeks time!

Big Bloke said:
Thanks James......I think that over the last month or two,that I've read every post on here! :crazy
We do have some plans for upgrades and some retro fitting,some of which will have to wait a while.We've had some great inspiration from just reading the forum...I'm sure I'll have some questions once We have it! Been a long time in the planning,I can't wait to collect it in about 3 weeks time!

Great :)

What retrofitting are you thinking of?

James

James,We really. really like the idea of retrimming the seats somewhere down the line,dark red leather being our choice!But that's quite a way off.
We've been to see a lot of the better van conversion companies over the last 3yrs or so, as well attending Busfest each year, in our quest to find out what we want .So .......We have seen a lot of customised T5's !Our son also has a T5.
We've already spoken to Dirty Weekenders in Worcester about having EHU and a Webasto installed,sometime in the future.
We spoke to the dealer we're buying it from about having lowering springs fitted but after driving it on the test drive thought we'd see how we get on with the standard springs and 17" Thunders.We do have a Sprinter van that we've used for the past year as our sole vehicle,(after selling our old BMW 5 series touring) so the Cali felt very refined to us! I'm also used to driving Fire appliances, so didn't really notice any rolling in corners on our test drive!
We managed to add dealer fitted mud flaps,rubber mats and black bumper protector into our already agreed price.I'll be ordering a VW bike rack and Sportline side bars as soon as my pension hits my bank account,together with a Waeco compressor fridge.That'll be enough to be going on with.............all in all,I'm going to be penniless!

Big Bloke said:
James,We really. really like the idea of retrimming the seats somewhere down the line,dark red leather being our choice!But that's quite a way off.
We've been to see a lot of the better van conversion companies over the last 3yrs or so, as well attending Busfest each year, in our quest to find out what we want .So .......We have seen a lot of customised T5's !Our son also has a T5.
We've already spoken to Dirty Weekenders in Worcester about having EHU and a Webasto installed,sometime in the future.
We spoke to the dealer we're buying it from about having lowering springs fitted but after driving it on the test drive thought we'd see how we get on with the standard springs and 17" Thunders.We do have a Sprinter van that we've used for the past year as our sole vehicle,(after selling our old BMW 5 series touring) so the Cali felt very refined to us! I'm also used to driving Fire appliances, so didn't really notice any rolling in corners on our test drive!
We managed to add dealer fitted mud flaps,rubber mats and black bumper protector into our already agreed price.I'll be ordering a VW bike rack and Sportline side bars as soon as my pension hits my bank account,together with a Waeco compressor fridge.That'll be enough to be going on with.............all in all,I'm going to be penniless!

That sounds good :)

I've never got round to fitting lowering springs, I am okay with ride, I just drive accordingly, perhaps a nice set of wheels and the lowering springs would look good but I've never been that bothered.

i'm having EHU fitted in May, really quite nervous about it but I felt that it was something worth having. I had a good chat with a conversion company about how it is done and where they go on the van.

Sounds like you have a lovely Beach :)

Oh you will be penniless :)

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with EHU.We did sound out a couple of dealers about ordering a Beach with EHU but were put off by the long wait involved with a factory order,as well as the price to be honest.We feel that we got a very good deal on ours and were prepared to compromise on what our ideal spec would be.
In my opinion a reputable T5 convertor will be the prefered route,for EHU. These guys do this sort of thing all the time on T5's. Thats still a long way off for us though,we'll start of with a trailing hook up with RCD, oil filled radiator and CTEK charger.

We've been running a normal hook lead and when possible using a small electric heater which has proved excellent.

I did have a good look into it and the procedure for EHU installation seems pretty similar.

I certainly will let you know how we get on but I think owners like Bigbud on here have covered it really well :)

Red leather sounds brilliant, with the white that would look fabulous, I've seen another member here go for the red leather. I personally would do something with the door cards as well, but that may be too much or just just too expensive :)

James

Big Bloke said:

Sounds very close to the spec of my Beach, why don't you try and get the dealer to add the bike rack and bars to the van now and negotiate an all in price. No time like the present to get the best deal from them :D . At the moment you are dealing with a salesman incentivised to sell, in future you'll be dealing with the parts department.

I started with the basic Cali and added foglights, towbar, bike rack, roof rack and side bars all fitted for far less than the book price.

Andy

Andy,

Off topic but how did you retro fit your fogs? All the quotes I have had are significantly more than the book price e.g hazzy dayz etc...... If there is a good way to achieve would love to know.

Steve.

Is that beach the one I spotted in South Hereford's showroom last week by any chance? Looks pretty tidy. Hope you enjoy it!

SteveM said:
Andy,

Off topic but how did you retro fit your fogs? All the quotes I have had are significantly more than the book price e.g hazzy dayz etc...... If there is a good way to achieve would love to know.

Steve.

How much is Hazzy Days now for fogs?

James

Sounds very close to the spec of my Beach, why don't you try and get the dealer to add the bike rack and bars to the van now and negotiate an all in price. No time like the present to get the best deal from them :D . At the moment you are dealing with a salesman incentivised to sell, in future you'll be dealing with the parts department.

I started with the basic Cali and added foglights, towbar, bike rack, roof rack and side bars all fitted for far less than the book price.

Andy,I did try negotiating a bike rack but no joy.I think we got everything that we could!

Is that beach the one I spotted in South Hereford's showroom last week by any chance? Looks pretty tidy. Hope you enjoy it!

No Nemo,We went to Bury St Edmunds for it....bit of a trek as we're in Wolverhampton.

SteveM said:
Andy,

Steve.
I negotiated hard with the supplying dealer! I know he had to get the new inserts painted and he was worried about the match but it was fine. I'm assuming that they replaced that part of the front bumper rather than just cutting the blanks out. Perhaps someone on here who has done it themselves can advise?

Andy

Goldie said:
SteveM said:
Andy,

Steve.
I negotiated hard with the supplying dealer! I know he had to get the new inserts painted and he was worried about the match but it was fine. I'm assuming that they replaced that part of the front bumper rather than just cutting the blanks out. Perhaps someone on here who has done it themselves can advise?

Andy

I've still got my original yellow blank panels from mine were fitted.

James

Big Bloke said:

Andy,I did try negotiating a bike rack but no joy.I think we got everything that we could!

Not suggesting you get it for free - sounds like you have done the hard bargaining, but try to get a deal near to cost price. Simply ask; "I would like a bike rack can you do one for ÂŁ300 as I'm buying he Cali from you for ÂŁxx,xxx.

You know the price being offered on here and you also have any carriage costs. Getting it now from the dealer is your best opportunity. (IMHO :lol: )

Andy

James said:
Goldie said:
SteveM said:
Andy,

Steve.

I've still got my original yellow blank panels from mine were fitted.

James

Andy

That reminds me! When I fitted my towbar on my Yeti I had a steel fabricated bumper that fitted beneath the plastic one that I still have. I noticed that they were being sold on eBay for ÂŁ50 plus.

I guess the T5 is the same, did you get your old internal bumper back. I guess that without it you could not remove the towbar when selling.

Andy

Retro fit steering fogs list out at Hazzy Dayz at well over ÂŁ700. I have bought off ebay the bumper cover panels (nice to get original vw paint and mine came off a new caravelle with the chrome rings which I like alot!) so will be a little less for me... but still alot vs 330 of original fit. (To be fair to Hazzy Dayz the genuine vw parts will cost a fair part of that: e.g. ÂŁ110 for the pair of lights, ÂŁ85 for the wiring loom and ÂŁ65 for the switch).

Just looking for any options .... the cheap relays that bypass the canbus integration are not really what I am after. Just failing to bite the bullet. I'll give them another call and see what they can do for me!

Steve.

SteveM said:
Retro fit steering fogs list out at Hazzy Dayz at well over ÂŁ700. I have bought off ebay the bumper cover panels (nice to get original vw paint and mine came off a new caravelle with the chrome rings which I like alot!) so will be a little less for me... but still alot vs 330 of original fit. (To be fair to Hazzy Dayz the genuine vw parts will cost a fair part of that: e.g. ÂŁ110 for the pair of lights, ÂŁ85 for the wiring loom and ÂŁ65 for the switch).

Just looking for any options .... the cheap relays that bypass the canbus integration are not really what I am after. Just failing to bite the bullet. I'll give them another call and see what they can do for me!

Steve.[/quote

Really????

I paid about 250 mine, I guess it's whatever control module you have.

By the way, they're not really steering fogs, that's VW's marketing. They are very useful but they just come on when you turn the wheel.

James

James,

Thanks they will double check against the chassis number and refresh accordingly. I had the cornering lights on my first beach and found them surprisingly useful... helped supplement the meagre std headlights - for those of us without xenons!

I guess yours may have been cheaper if done at the same time as your headlights?

Steve.

SteveM said:
James,

Thanks they will double check against the chassis number and refresh accordingly. I had the cornering lights on my first beach and found them surprisingly useful... helped supplement the meagre std headlights - for those of us without xenons!

I guess yours may have been cheaper if done at the same time as your headlights?

Steve.

I can't remember the fogs being expensive, I agree they are useful.

I had the fogs done first, they were the first thing I had done, only because I was going to buy a Beach from Tonbridge and they recommended Hazzy Days.

I know it is all about control modules (which I don't really understand) but whenever I enquire about retro upgrades now, I at least know the etiquette lol.

Have you got MFSW?

James

Yup MFSW ... In general it is well equipped bar the fogs it really was a bit of a strange omission. I know when they added the cruise (the other omission) it did not need the additional module,
hopefully some other equipment item will have dragged what ever module I need for these. It will be an expensive month with retro fit tow bar, new waeco Cf40 fridge and these. Added on top of the cruise, thunders and side strips that is way too much retro fitting! I don't want to add it all up!

It's addictive - I still want full leather as well!

Steve

SteveM said:
Yup MFSW ... In general it is well equipped bar the fogs it really was a bit of a strange omission. I know when they added the cruise I did not need the additional module hopefully some other equipment item will have dragged what ever module I need for these. It will be an expensive month with retro fit tow bar, new waeco Cf40 fridge and these. Added on top of the cruise, thunders and side strips that is way too much retro fitting! I don't want to add it all up!

Steve

lol

I still think about auto lights and wipers but then, that's a new windscreen for me and that's silly.

James

Do any you Beach owners know of a small safe that can be fitted in a Beach ?
As we are planning on some European camping later in the year, we'd like somewhere a bit more secure than the glovebox for our passports, etc. If anyone knows of a solution but wants it to remain discreet,please private message me. ;)

SteveM said:
Yup MFSW ... In general it is well equipped bar the fogs it really was a bit of a strange omission. I know when they added the cruise (the other omission) it did not need the additional module,
hopefully some other equipment item will have dragged what ever module I need for these. It will be an expensive month with retro fit tow bar, new waeco Cf40 fridge and these. Added on top of the cruise, thunders and side strips that is way too much retro fitting! I don't want to add it all up!

Steve

hi steve did you get that cf 40 waeco yet? i was looking at the cfx 50 but concerned at 471mm it might not fit under the 3 bench multiplex board at the back, where were you planning ion keeping it in the van?