Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Adria Active van

bvirc

bvirc

Adria Mobil has just launched a new Adria Active van, based on Renault Trafic:
http://adria.p-m.si/vans/mpc+range/
It is a an excellent copy and competition of VW California but much more affordable with prices around 40k EUR.
Comparing to other smaller shops conversions, Adria Active van is a mass produced conversion paying a lot of attention to details, having a polished finish and touch, similar to both California and Marco Polo. Certain parts (incl. roof) are made by Reimo (who is also Adria's distributor for Germany), but the van is converted in Adria's state-of-the-art factory in Slovenia.
I was a producer of a new lifestyle Adria Active Van video, so some more live pics of this new van:

Although I really love and enjoy my California with 100 nights per year, I would be tempted not to consider this new Adria Active van.

The extra feature and probably the only reason to consider Adria is significantly lower price, everything else is more or less a (very) decent copy of the California.

Whenever I see one of those so-called Cali-alternatives I check for two things: does it have "invisible" storage for outside furniture and is it under 2m. If not it's an instant disqualification.

Looks like it has double 'barn' doors at the rear, not a tailgate (so no secret chairs stash!). Probably a manual pop-top. Fabric Austrian-style blind over cooker - wouldn't be my preference.

Height appears to be 2.04 m or 1.99 m with lowered suspension option.

But overall, I think it's very good that VW are getting some decent quality competition for the California, especially at a lower price bracket. It should keep them on their toes.

[EDIT:] I just watched the video - apparently the van is good for a lifestyle where he drives and fixes the mountain bike, while she makes the tea...! Shame on you, Adria marketing department!

[EDIT 2] Actually though, you can see how Adria are positioning this van for families, as they offer 'up to six seats' - three in the back and, I guess, a double front passenger seat option. Good for people who want/need their camper to also be their daily driver, to cart around their kids' friends, etc. I could see how that would be a good solution for a lot of families and price competitive with at least the higher-end non-camper MPVs.

Last edited:
Totally
Looks like it has double 'barn' doors at the rear, not a tailgate (so no secret chairs stash!). Probably a manual pop-top. Fabric Austrian-style blind over cooker - wouldn't be my preference.

Height appears to be 2.04 m or 1.99 m with lowered suspension option.

But overall, I think it's very good that VW are getting some decent quality competition for the California, especially at a lower price bracket. It should keep them on their toes.

[EDIT:] I just watched the video - apparently the van is good for a lifestyle where he drives and fixes the mountain bike, while she makes the tea...! Shame on you, Adria marketing department!

[EDIT 2] Actually though, you can see how Adria are positioning this van for families, as they offer 'up to six seats' - three in the back and, I guess, a double front passenger seat option. Good for people who want/need their camper to also be their daily driver, to cart around their kids' friends, etc. I could see how that would be a good solution for a lot of families and price competitive with at least the higher-end non-camper MPVs.

Totally agree! Talk about being sexist :headbang

First question - whats the roof made out off?

Looks good to me. It definitely has a tailgate, see the video at 1'29"

cheaper base van = cheaper camper.
the price of a full spec Cali is x4 what our 1st house cost

Competition is never bad.

Imitation is flattery.

How many would be happy to be seen in a "cheap copy of a California"?

I would love to have a look at one though,

The third option (CityVan) in the Reimo lineup is interesting - somewhere between an Ocean and Beach in terms of the interior fit-out and equipment. I could see that appealing to some, especially the long wheelbase option.

I know we love our Calis, and I for one wouldn't be changing at this stage, but interesting I think to see what else is coming along.