Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New 510DAB, BT and MDI install

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
OK....so I'm not as adventurous as some of you and chose to get pro help to upgrade my audio.
It's always annoyed me that you pay £40k+ for a Cali only for it to come with the basic radio. When I bought my Berg last year I tried to negotiate for an upgrade.....and failed!

I had a bit of spare cash and decided to give "Advanced In-Car" of Poole a go. James was great throughout, very confident and obviously did VW & Audi installs all day long.

The only problem we encountered was the 510DAB struggling with displaying my phonebook. I use a Nexus 4. We encountered the same problem with James' Blackberry. However, my wife's iPhone displayed perfectly. james is speaking to VW to understand whether there is a firmware update to solve this. I will post a pic of the garbled phonebook at a later date.

I must add that the dash display handles my phonebook without any issue though.

IMG_20130329_104727.jpg IMG_20130329_105213.jpg IMG_20130329_105227.jpg IMG_20130329_105316.jpg IMG_20130329_105404.jpg

More to follow later........

Do you have lots of recent calls in the phone history?

Try deleting the call register.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ive got a 180 Cali and am disappointed with th std rcd 310 or whatever it is. No dab and no Bluetooth.

What did you pay if you don't mind me asking for the rcd 510, Bluetooth and dab installed in Poole? I'm not a million miles away.

Burko

Probably not much change out of a large one would be my guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will a 510 rcd from another VW - ie off eBay be a straight fit ? Does anyone know how easy it is to retrofit the luetooth to this if I get a dab one ( watching outdoor Chinese copies).

Sorry

Watching out for ..... Typo

Be careful who you buy from on ebay, it's a lot of money if the item never turns up or wrong one arives.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

There are some good sellers on eBay, a couple i have used before and I also have a very good contact for cheaper RNS510's whom a couple of people on here have bought from already.

The main thing with buying a radio from eBay would be to ensure you used PayPal and that the seller had the radio code.

I just want bluetooth and dab if poss. What's the best way forward?

The Kenwood system that we sell is £1050 fitted including VAT and does DAB, Bluetooth and navigation.

cheers

For what it's worth, I too wasn't overly chuffed with the basic RCD310 that came with our Cali and having become somewhat of a DAB convert (6 music/radio5live) I went looking for sensibly priced factory alternatives.
The RNS510 or the Kenwood look great but I simply couldn't justify the money.
Ended up on EBay with a 1 month old RCD510DAB unit out of a new Golf. Paid £220 with the code and VW booklet. Waited for a localish one as wanted to collect and check it first. Simple to swap over, shares common plugs and sounds/looks/functions so much better. I just need to sort out the DAB aerial to get that side of things working. I may go aftermarket rather than the VW mirror jobbie.

Obviously no sat nav but I have a Garmin. Its also nuts you have to pay out another £100+ for the full IPOD control so I won't be bothering with that, just rely on the Aux. Given the SD card slot it kind of loses the need for the IPOD anyhow.

Just be careful on eBay, you want the European Bosch version (for TP/RDS functionality)
See here... http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... 72476.html

For the money I'm v.happy. (offset a little as sold on my 310 for £40)

I have a RCD 310 DAB unit if anyone wants one. Only in the Cali for one week as I upgraded to a RNS 510 via Hazzy Dayz. Any reasonable offer accepted.

I have a Kenwood DNX521DAB that replaced my earlier DNX520BT.

The 521 I am very happy with, whereas the 520 IMO (was) is overpriced and underspecced.

I think that the 521is a viable option to the high end OEM solution. I have the digital tv tuner and rev cam, and it all works well. Fitting the revcam was a cow though.

Stu

That link says t5 Cali models 2012 on. Mines a December 2010 facelift model. Will it fit?

Burko

What radio do you have in at the moment?

I think all FL ones should be fine, so long as you have the right dashboard aperture.

Standard rcd 310. Double din one that's std in facelift 180se.

It is possible to install a new 510 into a prefacelift - either the dash has to be slightly modified - this won't be for all as even with the modification it will not sit completely flush.

http://www.hazzydayz.com/genuine-vw-rns ... 1408-p.asp

Or you could simply change the centre of your dash to a post facelift one.

Slightly extreme ways perhaps of getting a 510 into a prefacelift but it can be done.

James

Update:
I still haven't solved the problem with the phonebook (I should've uploaded a pic! Will do that at a later date).
Once you click in to the contact you want to call, their details are all mixed up with random characters.

The chaps at "In-Car" have been very sympathetic and have tried to get a solution from VW but with no success so far. They've offered to replace my 510 with the previous model. My model is a brand new varient that came out in the last month or so.

I have a few weeks until I am in Poole again, so I'm hoping they'll be a firmware fix for my 510 and no need to replace.

You're in the right ballpark when you mention £1000 for the full install.

Anyone got any questions?

Back