Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Negative depreciation

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The price of second hand Cali's will definitely fall back down after the current situation is over, no doubt about that.

I know people who have brought motorhomes on a whim and now are coming to terms with the fact they don't really get on with them.

The fact I can probably sell my 2014 Cali at the moment for almost as much as I brought it for is crazy.

If buyers had a little bit more foresight they would realise they could get a brand new Cali for close to 2nd hand prices. A brand new T6.1 Ocean can be had for £60k if you order direct and 2018 T6 Oceans are being advertised for around £56k, it's crazy.

Yep, I’ve come across this too.
People who have never camped and were never interested in camping. Sink £££ into one and realise it’s not for them.
I’ve must have said it a million times. Hire one for two weeks and see how you get on. Honestly, they never seem to listen.
There’s some sort of hypnotic, romantic pull that convinces them without even trying it first...?

N

NessL

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Yep, I’ve come across this too.
People who have never camped and were never interested in camping. Sink £££ into one and realise it’s not for them.
I’ve must have said it a million times. Hire one for two weeks and see how you get on. Honestly, they never seem to listen.
There’s some sort of hypnotic, romantic pull that convinces them without even trying it first...?
People do the same with narrow boats and they’re a lot more expensive. Mystifying!

H

Hamish S

Making up for the years spoilt by school and work
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
As they say "a fool and his money are soon parted".

H

Hamish S

Making up for the years spoilt by school and work
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Big enough narrow boat and a ramp.............

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
At 6’10 wide, and the lowest bridge being 6’2 you might be able to design a parking bay for a Cali on a narrow boat, but the Cali would have to sit very close to the waterline.
And watch out for the ‘squat effect’ with the reduced draft / additional weight.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
S

subthree

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Anyone with a similar spec/age Beach who can compare new price versus this one?

They have this as well. Looks like they found it on Thetford ranges.

1615471444918.png

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199

Interesting positioning of the multiplex board, or is it supposed to be a drop leaf table?

Alied

Alied

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

Bought in Jan 2017. It"s on 22000 miles now.

Attachments

• Beach 2017.pdf
    141.5 KB · Views: 16
2haw

2haw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
saa was

If they got a decent discount, it would of been cheaper than that when it was new in 2017. If that’s what you mean?

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
saa was

If they got a decent discount, it would of been cheaper than that when it was new in 2017. If that’s what you mean?
Same spec?

2haw

2haw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Is that what you are trying to figure out?? What would have been the list price in 2017 when it was new?

It has the standard dash, no parking heater, no heated seats, basic headlights and standard 16” Alloys. My complete guess would be around 43-44k new with a decent discount.

Just checked, the OTR of a standard 150 DSG Beach in 2017 was £44,577.

Last edited:
B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Is that what you are trying to figure out?? What would have been the list price in 2017 when it was new?

It has the standard dash, no parking heater, no heated seats, basic headlights and standard 16” Alloys. My complete guess would be around 43-44k new with a decent discount.

Just checked, the OTR of a standard 150 DSG Beach in 2017 was £44,577.
Ignoring unknown discounts.
Just looking at what depreciation is on an example.
Looks neglible if not taking trade in price into the calculation.

OGII

OGII

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

Wowsers.

Our 150 Beach is same age, colour, lower mileage, higher spec (parking heater, towbar, etc) albeit 2 seat bench. Manual not DSG so this one would be dearer on that factor.

Bottom line is I would have to pay £5500 to trade "up" from what I paid 3 new years ago. Ok this ones not sold at that price yet but I guess it will sell to someone who negotiates a grand off or so. Covid tax is real.