Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nearly 12 years on - my old Cali is part of my life.

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
I wasn't looking for a camper: my wife and I were regular frame-tent campers, and - as we got older - more keen on bigger sturdier tents and more comforts. Then my son spotted this weird "California" when he was servicing his employer's VW van. We saw it, and took the plunge! Never looked back: for many years we could just drive off, knowing you could sleep, live and cook in relative warmth and comfort. Not only that, but it is just a gorgeous vehicle to drive (automatic 175ps). We put in a GoreTex roof liner, which has made a massive difference. Time goes on, and both we and the van have shown signs of age. Had to fix a few little spilts in the pop-up roof, and one or two engine repairs, but it is still a beauty. It's mostly used now as my festival-gig bus, with loads of room for gear and guitars, but still a great place to live for a weekend. But apart from that, we visit 96-year-old father-in-law every week (150-mile round trip), and use it as a van to help to clear his house. But more than that - I lust love driving it. I could probably sell it now for what I paid for it 11 years ago - despite the odd scratches and signs of wear. But I can't imagine life without it.

Hello Andrew,
What a lovely story. Many people change their vans quite often so it's really nice to hear from someone who has used their California and enjoyed it for many years. There's only one thing missing though, how about some photographs of the star of this thread?

Hello Andrew,
What a lovely story. Many people change their vans quite often so it's really nice to hear from someone who has used their California and enjoyed it for many years. There's only one thing missing though, how about some photographs of the star of this thread?

Thanks for the reply. Here's a picture

1575733985089.jpeg

Hi Andrew yes we are the same was tent campers kids left home we then brought the California that was 11 years ago and still loving it.
Puts a smile on my face every time I get in it.

Lovely story, we are the same just arrived back from a 6 week trip France, Italy, Slovenia, and Croatia. 3600 miles van didn't miss a beat. Likewise we have had a few repairs over the years, but i also love driving this wonderful machine.
Did consider a px but i am not that keen on the engine, so we decided to keep this one .

Just out of interest pal as im looking at a similar van at the moment but what made you put on a Goretex roof liner?

Just out of interest pal as im looking at a similar van at the moment but what made you put on a Goretex roof liner?
I think it was just an extra boost to potential comfort: keeps out the worst of condensation, and certainly reduces the effect of wind (from outside, that is!). Because of that, we instantly decided we would sleep upstairs. We briefly took up sleeping downstairs, but the hassle of getting the bed out and putting everything away when you just wanted to go to sleep, made us go back to sleeping in a "separate room", despite the increased hassle of going up and down steps. The GoreTex makes it very comfy up there. Even better after we found you didn't have to unclip it to lower the roof.

Feel the same about Dylan. 174ps manual which we got from new 10 and a bit years ago!

I wasn't looking for a camper: my wife and I were regular frame-tent campers, and - as we got older - more keen on bigger sturdier tents and more comforts. Then my son spotted this weird "California" when he was servicing his employer's VW van. We saw it, and took the plunge! Never looked back: for many years we could just drive off, knowing you could sleep, live and cook in relative warmth and comfort. Not only that, but it is just a gorgeous vehicle to drive (automatic 175ps). We put in a GoreTex roof liner, which has made a massive difference. Time goes on, and both we and the van have shown signs of age. Had to fix a few little spilts in the pop-up roof, and one or two engine repairs, but it is still a beauty. It's mostly used now as my festival-gig bus, with loads of room for gear and guitars, but still a great place to live for a weekend. But apart from that, we visit 96-year-old father-in-law every week (150-mile round trip), and use it as a van to help to clear his house. But more than that - I lust love driving it. I could probably sell it now for what I paid for it 11 years ago - despite the odd scratches and signs of wear. But I can't imagine life without it.
We’ve also had our California 11 years (January 2008) 150k miles now, probably 120k purely on holidays. I entirely agree, still an absolute joy to drive, get on the open road, arm rests down, cruise control set and some decent music - life couldn’t be sweeter
When we visit friends, we never seem to get offered a bed!

Hi Coops1964
Are you looking to buy a California at the moment ?

Same here 08 reg SE dsg/178bhp.
Erm ... any of you elderly T5 Calis owners able to help with locating the fuse for the heated wing mirrors ... ??? Apparently location is somewhat idiosyncratic!!!

Btw ... wonderful 5pot motor but just tootling round town very stressful wallet-wise!!!

Presently configured as a roomy 5 seater by using a shorter rear board in the luggage area (Ikea table). On tour ... out with the 5th seat and back with the deeper backboard

Erm ... any of you elderly T5 Calis owners
Ermm........ I don't fall into the elderly category but you might find
those fuses behind the bottle holder under the gearstick, remove the
holder and you will find some fuse cards telling you what's what.

Our van hit its 10th birthday this year, can’t imagine being without it! Not done anywhere near as many miles as some of you above though! I have even built a garage for it! Happy days