Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My GC600 Faults

T

T3Z-GB

Guest User
Firstly let me introduce myself, I’m T3z, never owned a camper van or motor home in the past, but after camping in the land rover for 2 months and being bitten by the bug, decided to purchase the GC600.
Since the delivery on the 2nd August Iv lived in the GC for the past month, and intend doing so.
My experience had been mostly positive, however I have this list of faults, which most in the forum seem to have/have had.

Its currently in the dealership from which it was purchased, however they seem to have very little knowledge or put bluntly a very low care factor, it seems that as it’s warranty it’s been bumped to the back of the line despite booking it in, a week in advance.

My list.
1 Loss of water pump pressure in both the wet room and kitchen., comes back on when I push the toilet flush button or any electrical button including waking up the control panel screen.

2 Relentless running of the water pump under the bed, it literally runs when you turn on anything electrical I.e open the fridge door or go into the bathroom, or any light that’s turned on. During the evening when sleeping it turns itself on 2-3 times a night. Being right under the bed wakes you up every time.

3 The control panel has a mind of its own, intermittently it will not turn on/off internal lights, or operate the step, Iv turned off the auto step as it’s let me down in the past by remaining out, even when driving off, don’t need to elaborate on the obvious potential hazard.

4 Rattles from lower end of the wet room door, “bedroom” cupboards rattle, bedroom cupboard catches not fitting or working properly, some are to easy to open the rest need a pair of pliers to assist in releasing the catch.

5 Wet room door grommets falling out, door misaligned, massive gap on the top hinge and no gap on the opposite side, causes a squeaking chaffing sound.

6 Waste water/grey water level indicator not accurate by about 15%

7 I believe the leisure battery percentage is not accurate, and can fluctuate from 100% to 60% from one min to the next, without the fridge coming on or lights being used.

8 Rattles from the sliding door lower plastic panel.

9 Plastic hinge covers falling off wet room door.

10 Magnet on bathroom mirror fallen off.

11 Wet room door leaks and wet room toilet roll always wet due to cupboard leak.

12 Wet room strip under the door coming off on right side

This is the list which accompanied the van back to the dealer, it’s not comprehensive, but will be happy if these are rectified.

Thanks for reading.

Firstly let me introduce myself, I’m T3z, never owned a camper van or motor home in the past, but after camping in the land rover for 2 months and being bitten by the bug, decided to purchase the GC600.
Since the delivery on the 2nd August Iv lived in the GC for the past month, and intend doing so.
My experience had been mostly positive, however I have this list of faults, which most in the forum seem to have/have had.

Its currently in the dealership from which it was purchased, however they seem to have very little knowledge or put bluntly a very low care factor, it seems that as it’s warranty it’s been bumped to the back of the line despite booking it in, a week in advance.

My list.
1 Loss of water pump pressure in both the wet room and kitchen., comes back on when I push the toilet flush button or any electrical button including waking up the control panel screen.

2 Relentless running of the water pump under the bed, it literally runs when you turn on anything electrical I.e open the fridge door or go into the bathroom, or any light that’s turned on. During the evening when sleeping it turns itself on 2-3 times a night. Being right under the bed wakes you up every time.

3 The control panel has a mind of its own, intermittently it will not turn on/off internal lights, or operate the step, Iv turned off the auto step as it’s let me down in the past by remaining out, even when driving off, don’t need to elaborate on the obvious potential hazard.

4 Rattles from lower end of the wet room door, “bedroom” cupboards rattle, bedroom cupboard catches not fitting or working properly, some are to easy to open the rest need a pair of pliers to assist in releasing the catch.

5 Wet room door grommets falling out, door misaligned, massive gap on the top hinge and no gap on the opposite side, causes a squeaking chaffing sound.

7 I believe the leisure battery percentage is not accurate, and can fluctuate from 100% to 60% from one min to the next, without the fridge coming on or lights being used.

11 Wet room door leaks and wet room toilet roll always wet due to cupboard leak.

This is the list which accompanied the van back to the dealer, it’s not comprehensive, but will be happy if these are rectified.

Thanks for reading.
The worksheet I got back when I collected my van says:
Customer concerned shower cupboard letting in water- The cupboard is not waterproof and may let a small amount of water in.
Great design! Toilet roll gets wet and water gets in where it shouldn't potentially causing damp issues in the future.
Hope you get your other issues sorted!

The worksheet I got back when I collected my van says:
Customer concerned shower cupboard letting in water- The cupboard is not waterproof and may let a small amount of water in.
Great design! Toilet roll gets wet and water gets in where it shouldn't potentially causing damp issues in the future.
Hope you get your other issues sorted!
Thank you for that. Will post the responses I get after collecting the van on Friday. But yeah, cracking design!

Hello T3Z-GB,

I fully understand the frustration you must be in. After the decision is made to purchase the GC 600 it is so disappointing if there is one issue after the other.

I had a list as well which my VW dealer needed to work through. Some of the issues are identical you experienced. For instance the issue with the tap in the wetroom. The tap needed to be replaced, spare part only available in Germany, waiting time 1 1/2 weeks.

My list is sorted (so far), but the "classic" issues were not yet on it (for example water pump not switching off, issue with the micro switch from the kitchen tap...). I can imagine that there will be some more visits to VW.

I blame VW about all the issues but not my VW dealer. He did his best to get all sorted and treated me rather well during the last weeks. Tomorrow I have another appointment because there are some options with the radio I can't get my head around. With such a complicated vehicle like the GC it seems to be very important to have a good VW dealer. Have I said that, he can't repair everything immediately, but he is honest to say he can't and that he contacts VW Ireland etc.

The hope is that all the issues will be sorted at some stage which will leave us with a reliable and functional camper van, which is capable to be a good "partner" during road trips.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that all the issues will be sorted, and sorted in a short period of time.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello T3Z-GB,

I fully understand the frustration you must be in. After the decision is made to purchase the GC 600 it is so disappointing if there is one issue after the other.

I had a list as well which my VW dealer needed to work through. Some of the issues are identical you experienced. For instance the issue with the tap in the wetroom. The tap needed to be replaced, spare part only available in Germany, waiting time 1 1/2 weeks.

My list is sorted (so far), but the "classic" issues were not yet on it (for example water pump not switching off, issue with the micro switch from the kitchen tap...). I can imagine that there will be some more visits to VW.

I blame VW about all the issues but not my VW dealer. He did his best to get all sorted and treated me rather well during the last weeks. Tomorrow I have another appointment because there are some options with the radio I can't get my head around. With such a complicated vehicle like the GC it seems to be very important to have a good VW dealer. Have I said that, he can't repair everything immediately, but he is honest to say he can't and that he contacts VW Ireland etc.

The hope is that all the issues will be sorted at some stage which will leave us with a reliable and functional camper van, which is capable to be a good "partner" during road trips.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that all the issues will be sorted, and sorted in a short period of time.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Hi Eberhard,

Thank you for you’re detailed response. Perhaps that’s the key here, finding the right dealer to help!

Earlier in the afternoon today I had an update, this is what Iv been told.

1 A new water pump and kitchen tap has been back ordered with no ETA.
2. The inconsistent battery and waste water percentages including the temperamental step have supposedly been fixed with various control unit software updates.
3 To mitigate the rattles, 2 cupboard latches have been ordered and the others have been adjusted. The 2 latches will be replaced tomorrow before I collect the van.
4 The strip on the wet room has been resealed.
5 The misaligned wet room door and rattles from the lower part of the wet room door, I was told that they are all like that. Funny thing is I pointed out the GC600 in the showroom is perfect. So will be taking that up when I collect the van, in any case even if all the GC600’s are misaligned does not make that okay?
6 The other rattles from the sliding door ha been corrected, they’ve not said how.

The two biggest gripes I have are firstly, the van should have been “pre delivery inspected” properly, ie no rattles and all software updated prior to delivery.
Secondly, with those well documented faults, they should have pre ordered in parts prior to my arrival.

BUT.
We’ve already completed the epic NC500 in the first month and started creating some wonderful memories with it. And even with all these small annoyances the van is fantastic and wouldn’t swap it for anything. Planning of the next adventure already underway.

Thanks again for you’re reply

Hi Eberhard,

Thank you for you’re detailed response. Perhaps that’s the key here, finding the right dealer to help!

Earlier in the afternoon today I had an update, this is what Iv been told.

1 A new water pump and kitchen tap has been back ordered with no ETA.
2. The inconsistent battery and waste water percentages including the temperamental step have supposedly been fixed with various control unit software updates.
3 To mitigate the rattles, 2 cupboard latches have been ordered and the others have been adjusted. The 2 latches will be replaced tomorrow before I collect the van.
4 The strip on the wet room has been resealed.
5 The misaligned wet room door and rattles from the lower part of the wet room door, I was told that they are all like that. Funny thing is I pointed out the GC600 in the showroom is perfect. So will be taking that up when I collect the van, in any case even if all the GC600’s are misaligned does not make that okay?
6 The other rattles from the sliding door ha been corrected, they’ve not said how.

The two biggest gripes I have are firstly, the van should have been “pre delivery inspected” properly, ie no rattles and all software updated prior to delivery.
Secondly, with those well documented faults, they should have pre ordered in parts prior to my arrival.

BUT.
We’ve already completed the epic NC500 in the first month and started creating some wonderful memories with it. And even with all these small annoyances the van is fantastic and wouldn’t swap it for anything. Planning of the next adventure already underway.

Thanks again for you’re reply
Well done keep on it

My list.

Thanks for reading.
Liverpool is a long way from me, so I try and resolve things myself if I can, but that's quite some list.

The Battery percentage Im not surprised about as it's a myth that you can tell how full a battery is in terms of amps. It is all based on voltage which is of course 100% when charging as it will be >13v and will suddenly drop if no solar and you power something with the battery. Especially as the battery is pretty lightweight for a motorhome.

Had all the rattles and resolved all myself. My toilet door sounded like it was coming off it's hinges when I picked the van up. I've simply added so rattle-stop tape to the locking mechanism. It's because they've fitted that fancy magentic thing.

I have fitted a water pump isolation switch in case the inevitable happens. Why they use micro-switches these days is beyond me. They are prone to failure.

Waste water not accurate, completely what I expected. Most systems only show you 25/50/75/100

Wet room door leaking - they just gave no thought to that and haven't properly made it to fit without letting in water!

Other than that it's a great van! :D

Mine is mostly sorted, apart from the wet room door. Somehow I know I’ll have to fix that myself.

Electrics fully upgraded, I’ll post pics and wiring diagram when I have some time. I should also post something about my 6 months experience full time in the van and a little about winter in the van.

Back