Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multiflex board, luggage, fridges and more

B

bilberry

Guest User
We picked up our new Beach (two seat version) last Thursday and love it. However, we HATE that stupid multiflex board (what a misnomer...there's nothing flexible about it at all). It's given rise to some problems/questions and I hoped some more experienced Beach campers could help us. We'll sleep upstairs whenever possible, but there'll always be times when downstairs is easier and warmer. So...

1. We would have loved to put our Waeco CDF25 in the boot, but it won't fit under the multiflex. We could put it on top, but then what do you do with the mattress and how do you secure it without drilling into a very new bit of kit. Is there something we could cover the board with to protect it and stop the fridge from sliding? Could we then just fold the mattress in half out of the way?

2. Although I'm planning to make covers for the mattress and the storage pod cushion to protect them, I still don't like the idea of piling luggage on top of the mattress in the boot. Has anyone done anything clever to make this work?

3. At the moment, the fridge is sitting behind the passenger seat. It's sort of fine, but it moves and it looks a bit clunky there. Any better suggestions for it?

And, basically, any organising tips that you old hands can pass on would be gratefully received! We tried taking that stupid board out today with the intention of creating a 'bed base' out of storage boxes (just like we used to sleep on in our Berlingo (http://campfiremag.co.uk//mini-campervan/), but it all started to get a bit messy and complicated. The board went back in!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nx65cllulfb06fd/2013-05-11 13.11.48.jpg?dl=0 Lash it down on the back carry handle to one of the load eyes. When travelling the seat keeps it from moving sideways.

The Board is rubbish and when I've finished out pod I'll be on with making something similar to this for the beach http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-Mul...018356221?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item27d17d05fd
Is that ebay one different to the vw one supplied, first glance it looks the same, just curious if I am missing something really obvious.

Is that ebay one different to the vw one supplied, first glance it looks the same, just curious if I am missing something really obvious.

It folds up giving some access to the boot, the 2 seater multiflex does not.

That link by the way is for the mutli van only as the seat hight is different on the beach 2 seater

It folds up giving some access to the boot, the 2 seater multiflex does not.

That link by the way is for the mutli van only as the seat hight is different on the beach 2 seater
I see, didn't think about it been different on the 2 seater, I have a 3 seat bench, showing my cali inexperience, thanks for the reply, this forums great for learning the ins and outs of Cali ownership.

Hi Bilberry. I completely agree with your views on the stupid "flexi board". Its too bloody bulky and heavy to keep lifting in and out when I want extra space. I am thinking of modifying mine somehow. Need to get my thinking cap on.

Steve

I was thinking of a hinged table top and four telescopic legs. Shouldn't be too hard to construct. I'm sure there are some refinements that could be made to that to make it easier to get at things underneath.

I wonder if the T6 will have something more sensible when it comes out. That might be a bit galling but might also give us a clue to how to make our own versions!

We picked up our new Beach (two seat version) last Thursday and love it. However, we HATE that stupid multiflex board (what a misnomer...there's nothing flexible about it at all). It's given rise to some problems/questions and I hoped some more experienced Beach campers could help us. We'll sleep upstairs whenever possible, but there'll always be times when downstairs is easier and warmer. So...

1. We would have loved to put our Waeco CDF25 in the boot, but it won't fit under the multiflex. We could put it on top, but then what do you do with the mattress and how do you secure it without drilling into a very new bit of kit. Is there something we could cover the board with to protect it and stop the fridge from sliding? Could we then just fold the mattress in half out of the way?

2. Although I'm planning to make covers for the mattress and the storage pod cushion to protect them, I still don't like the idea of piling luggage on top of the mattress in the boot. Has anyone done anything clever to make this work?

3. At the moment, the fridge is sitting behind the passenger seat. It's sort of fine, but it moves and it looks a bit clunky there. Any better suggestions for it?

And, basically, any organising tips that you old hands can pass on would be gratefully received! We tried taking that stupid board out today with the intention of creating a 'bed base' out of storage boxes (just like we used to sleep on in our Berlingo (http://campfiremag.co.uk//mini-campervan/), but it all started to get a bit messy and complicated. The board went back in!
Does the beach multiplex have two positions? Would the cooler fit with the multiplex in the higher position? If so you can get a thinner pad to replace the existing so you still have a flat sleeping area. That's what we have done in our Cali

Sadly no. The word 'multiflex' is from the German, meaning 'absolutely no flexibility'. It's a single board bolted to a frame with a transverse bar underneath, joined to two leg sections.

Hi Bilberry, I've had a go at modifying the multiflex board. This is my prototype and will try it for a while to see how it performs. I've used the existing screw points as its still under warranty and can be put back to standard if it needs it.
icon_thumbup.gif
1427748719771.jpg
The 1427748719771.jpg 2015-03-30 10.58.19.jpg

2015-03-30 10.58.19.jpg

That's very simple and very clever. I like the fact that it leaves everything intact. We're in the same boat...when you have a brand new vehicle, modifying it irreversibly sounds too scary. I wonder if an alternative would be to make a completely new board with a piano hinge down the centre so that you could fold it back and flat on itself. You could keep the original board to refit when reselling or if things change, of course.

Yes I thought the same maybe have a piano hinge running along the cross brace. I'll see how this goes for now then maybe source some marine ply for type 2. So far it makes a big difference when trying to reach towards the back of the van. Thinking of adding a gas strut to help lift instead of the umbrella in the photo.
Steve

Hi storma63,

I'm trying to copy your idea and I've found those wood thread inserts.... how did you removed them? I've tried very gentely grabing the insert with an spanner, but seen the thread could get damaged and I've just stopped.

Last edited:
Hi estresao,

I left them in situ and just removed the bolts and kept them safe, so I could put it back to standard later if needed. So far it works well. Much easier to reach right to the the back of the load area.

Forgot to say..... I found some shorter bolts with the same thread and bolted the aluminium section to the board in the same fixings you show in the pic. Making sure they couldn't be screwed in too far so as not to burst through the top of the board

In my multi"flex" the wood insert are really tight to the bolts. I've manages to remove one of then in order to try to buy replacements before carry on loosen the remaining ones. Look how the one I've removed ended up:

IMG_20160405_204936334_HDR.jpg

Hi, I think the inserts are best left in and use shorter bolts for fastening. Mine were tight but not so much that they damaged the bolts. Maybe it was cross threaded when it was Made?

Perhaps VW use Loctite to prevent the bolts coming loose, but it makes them difficult to take apart.

My Calis is a 2015 one (65). All bolts are same tigth, so I've buy both bolts and inserts replacements before to carry on just in case I have to roll back everithing to the original status.

I also get shoter bolts for the new solution. I'm mainly interested in access the load area from the inside.... not quite shure how easy it will be because the multi"flex" shape.

You can get replacement inserts from the likes of Screwfix if they get damaged removing from the bolt:
http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/insert-nuts/cat7280108
£2.35 for 50 so not expensive
Hi all,

We've had our beach for a week or so now, and we're already thinking about altering the multiflex board. Looks like you have all had some great results already....

I like storma63's idea, and I was thinking of cutting mine along the bar and fitting a hinge.... Seems such an obvious option.

I like your idea for using a different board and putting the original aside ....

Has anyone tried the hinged version or anything similar....?

Are there any other photos.... Other options...

Fantastic... Thanks very much, very helpful.... Looks like my job for the BH weekend...!

Back