Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multi storey car parks

Oh no, what a nightmare!

The only multi-storey we risk these days is the valet parking at Gatwick South Terminal, which is fine heightwise but a bit snug on the corners going up the ramps.

Thanks for the Norwich parking info C&HinNorwich - we were there before Christmas but parked further out & walked into town just in case! Further out is quite a way out nowadays as they've introduced residents' parking.

2m or more, then ok - anything less...no way.

Can be scary sometimes, now and again the co-driver has to get out to double check..

I avoid multi story car parks even more than I do listening to politicians.

It's not just the height, it's tight turns, narrow ramps and idiots opening car doors. In over 4 years I have never felt as though I have deprived myself by doing so.

The only time I have found myself in one was in France when I mistook a car park ramp for the ramp next door which led to the road junction that I wanted. Even with 2.3m height I still hated it for all the other non-height related reasons and gave a big sigh of relief when I passed under my last hanging sign, the one that said "Sortie".:shocked

I live in an apartment block, and my allocated car park space is in an underground carpark. So, I'm in and out of it daily..... It has a 2.1m restriction.

I've witnessed people driving in with a car and bikes on-top..... Poor bikes got trashed....

Whilst the Cali is under 2m, and 2.1m should therefore give a bit of room for manoeuvre, there's always the chance someone else has clipped and disturbed one of the many hanging lights, air-con units, vents, cable-runs, pipes etc etc.....

There is a good facility/maintenance employee of the management company..... He does a walk around and inspects the car-park daily..... I often wonder tho, how a claim would be handled should something hit the van. There is good CCTV, so maybe this would help...... Hopefully never have to test the process.

None! I don't trust any of them!
I am still scarred by a very scary ride as a passenger with a nutter at the wheel in a German multi story at an airport, at a speed I don't even want to think about, it especially in the tunnel sections with lights in the roof
needless to say I have not been his passenger since!:Nailbiting

I have resorted to trying to work out where to park in somewhere new to me by looking at goggle street view and trying to see if I can see a height sign or looking for a open car park. This was as a result of failing to park on my first visit to Worcester. Signs on road to car parks did not give height, only available at entrance to car parks resulting in lots of 3 point turns. I did not even try multi storey ones. On my next visit I phoned the council who told be to park in the lorry park.

We avoid all multi storeys and any other car parks with height restrictions. When on holiday last year we followed signs for a 'car park' but it was only when we were about to drive in we saw it was a multi-storey with a 2m height restriction (no signs of height restriction on the road. Luckily there was another small road to the bus depot so we ended up driving out that way!

I don’t trust the height restrictions - drove my work ford transit connect LWB in to a multi storey, was under height restriction but on one of the floors the angle up to the next floor was so steep that the roof scrapped due to the long wheel base.

No such qualms. If it says 2m or above, I park. Never had a problem yet.

Anything 2.10m or over and we whip straight in, but 2.00m car parks are to be treated with suspicion (and my other half leaping out to check as we drive in)...

The only issue we've had was with a very tight car park under the market in Santander, as the back of each parking spot had a different height. That said, the obstacles were very clearly painted, and max heights marked on each.

I'd love to have accurate full-width roof sensors, with adjustable settings for when you have roof bars on, and some sort of forward-facing height-measuring radar would be outstanding!

Beware of Spanish underground car parks. Quite often the height indicators can be incorrect and just as important, the entrance and exit can often be tricky to negotiate to say the least! The roofs carry lots of A/C ducting and if that has been altered, it can often reduce the available height. Also parking spaces in Spanish car parks can be quite small. I avoid them in the cali' if at all possible.

Height-detecting sensors would be most appreciated :sad

My closest to losing the roof, or at least awning, came not from a car park but an upstairs balcony protruding into the street.

I was already having an attack of the vapours with the street being so narrow that I was scraping the mirrors on both sides when suddenly, just to spoil my day, a balcony came into view that was about eyeball height. It seemed to levitate itself as I got closer but I would swear that my clearance was a tiny fraction of a mm.

Has anyone tried the Redbridge park & ride car park at Oxford. The height of the entry gantry is generous, not so the exit!

Beware of Spanish underground car parks. Quite often the height indicators can be incorrect and just as important, the entrance and exit can often be tricky to negotiate to say the least!
I parked in an underground car park in Cadiz. It gave the height as 1.80-2.10m. The feeder lanes were clearly 2.10m+ but some bays had ceiling obstructions.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

You also have to watch the angle of the approach (and exit!) ramp as in Europe some can be very steep and effect clearance for longer vehicles.

You also have to watch the angle of the approach (and exit!) ramp as in Europe some can be very steep and effect clearance for longer vehicles.

That’s what worries me. Mine won’t be going near one. If there was no other choice might consider it after a check on foot.

Mike

Yes did that a few weeks ago in Salzburg. Very steep entrance to underground hotel carpark with electronic roller gates. Exits was also steep said a metre reading that was about 6ft 5. I walked it first and decided to give it a go and all was OK quite a few inches clearance in and out.

Back