Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multi-storey Car parks?

John

John

VIP Member
Original post mickyblue

This might seem like a bit of a dumb question.....but;

Most multi-storey's are marked up at about 2.1m height maximum, and having measured a new showroom Cali with an awning fitted, it was just over 2m (2005mm). So will they fit in without scuffing the roof/awning when going up/down ramps etc?

Any experiences appreciated as although our van has arrived off the boat at the dealers , we won't register it till the New Year to try

TIA
Mike

Original post Martin

Hi Mike, I am totally with you on this as we use our cali as a full time vehicle and many a time we have had to come home from somwhere as we could not fit in the car park.We now have roof bars but before 2.2 was always the minimum as although it would say 2.1m i was always worried about the odd light or air duct in the roof that was not measured correctly. I dread to think the kind of damage it could do.

Original post mickyblue

Mmm so if you didn't have the roof bars on (which we won't) would you go in normally??

Original post Barry

The Cali is built to be under 2m (just).
Some adornments take it over the 2m mark.

The problem is that the public notices giving height clearances (car parks, camp sites, supermarkets, waste disposal tips etc) are notoriously unreliable. Where I live, a waste tip indicating 2m is quite a bit less and a high end supermarket car park above the supermarket indicating 2m isn't. Some are easy to spot for example where the cross bar with the 2m notice dips down a few inches due to wear and damage. But many are not.

Give 'em all a wide berth ...
Good luck

Original post andy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I measured my Cali with awning on & is 2.1m. My local swimming pool has a multi Story carpark where the height restriction is marked at 2.1. I measure the clearance under the hanging metal bar at the entrance & my awning just gets under.
The Cali without awning is 1.985m

Original post Martin

just been outside and measured mine and 2.1m spot on, I guess anything lower you can always let the air out the tyres

Original post mickyblue

Looks like I will have to measure 'our' van with the awning, not on a perfectly flat tiled showroom floor

So do you guys pull up, get out with your tape measure & check how high the barrier is regardless of what it says, then go in??

original post wingate

You may get in with an awning, but you may never leave, unless you get 8 people in to weigh the suspension down.

Original post andy

Quote: So do you guys pull up, get out with your tape measure & check how high the barrier is regardless of what it says, then go in??

Oh yes, stood under hanging bar & measured both ends as it is not level.
Also need to same at exit.
I drive a truck that is 15'4" tall so I am very aware of height restrictions.

Original post Ron

Would lowered suspension comfortably get you under the barriers? This may be prove a little costly though

Original post mickyblue

think that considering the number of times we used the roll out awning on our old coach-built MH, I will probably remove the awning & brackets and store it till we either need it, or we change the van. Hopefully this will mean we will be able to use Multi-storey's without the need for a tape measure in a door pocket.

It was added as an option on the advise of our sales person as he said everyone 'expects' a Cali to have one. So it's there but not necessarily for us

Original post Calitess

Those Muilti-Storeys are full of perils!

car-park_1626460c.jpg

Lovely story here. Hackney Council in their wisdom built a speed bump underneath a railway bridge in E8. You should have seen the look on the Belgium lorry driver's face when he was stuck hard and fast underneath it.

Lovely story here. Hackney Council in their wisdom built a speed bump underneath a railway bridge in E8. You should have seen the look on the Belgium lorry driver's face when he was stuck hard and fast underneath it.
That's naughty!!

Sent from my SM-G900F

I regularly use 2m Height restricted car parks with no problem, and I have an awning fitted. I placed a piece of 2x1 across the roof and awning centre and it was horizontal with NO daylight between the wood and the roof bar ridge nearest the awning. Maybe mines fitted lower than yours.

I regularly use 2m Height restricted car parks with no problem, and I have an awning fitted. I placed a piece of 2x1 across the roof and awning centre and it was horizontal with NO daylight between the wood and the roof bar ridge nearest the awning. Maybe mines fitted lower than yours.
Don't fit mines to your Calli whatever you do, no matter what height!!

Damn predictive text.;)

Back