Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motorhomes are considered second-class citizens

stephen

stephen

VIP Member
Everywhere we've been over the bank holiday weekend,We've either been turned away from paying car parks, where a man or woman sits in a kiosk and you have to pay, going in on the beach car park (coast)

Saying they don't allow 'camper vans' giving no explanation, except saying they have been told that's the case? and no amount of money will secure a parking space,

And then further up the road in a 'National trust car park', camper vans have to pay £14.00 while normal cars only pay £4 ( Dunwich cliffs), So you pay the money , Park next to the chap in his Mercedes, which not only is wider but is at least 2ft longer, then the Cali, he only paying £4.00! And then if you happen to stay there, 3 hours before its time to shut up shop, they come round and say" I hope you are not camping here tonight because it's not allowed," this has happened on numerous occasions, even though we had no intention of camping whatsoever. its becoming most irritating. I can only assume that they think we are Pikeys!!!

I just wonder if this is going to be the norm, especially over bank holiday weekends? I didn't realise this would be the case, in motorhome ownership.... :cry:

Just back from the Mull of Kintyre.

No such problems - virtually all parking is free - CalMac ferries charge the Cali the same as a car.

Lots of friendly welcoming faces in Scotland.

That's the UK for you.....

Vila Real de Santo Antonio (Portugal) have now set aside a large area with river frontage for camper vans, 24 hour parking, water, wifi, electric, grey water disposal, use of the towns municipal pool and showers etc.....

4 euro per van a day inc all persons on board...!!!!

free parking with National Trust membership, £39.50pa(on their car parks)! might be worth investing, never been challenged about my Cali on the car parks in the lake district.

Actually noticed that some of the main car parks in and around the Dorest area actually have cheaper parking for motorhomes...

Lyme Regis being one we spotted a couple of weeks ago.

Think it probably swings and roundabouts.

Never had an issue in having to pay more though in all my years of campervan ownership.

Do get hit of ferries and tolls sometimes though... but a small price to pay for the freedom that comes with a campervan.

At these prices! I think it's definitely worth joining the National trust as a member, if you have got what some would consider a motorhome..

It may have been just the bank holiday, where there's an awful lot of people about, where parking space is at a premium,in certain areas,and also considering that some of these motorhomes are absolutely huge the car parks in these areas just have a blanket ban,to be Fair?

Always hard to know if NT etc. membership is worth the money, but as members, we've certainly used the National Trust car parks, including at Blakeney Quay in Norfolk, without issues.

Dug around a bit and found that, on the National Trust iPod app which has been updated for 2012, the prices quoted for Dunwich are: "Large vans/caravans/large motorhomes £12.50", whereas on their full scale website the size distinction isn't made. So you may have been caught out by an out of date sign or a misinformed car park attendant. Let's hope so, as I we certainly shouldn't be charged more in a car park than a similar size 4x4

Chris

51izak3OGL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

John ;)

Back