Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MOT CHECK

hucklebearies

hucklebearies

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Morning lovelies, I was looking to buy a california from this forum but I've checked the mot history and its showing its a vw transporter not California does that mean its not a factory made one or am I been a silly sausage
Many thanks

What side is the sliding door on?

Should show as a Cali on the .gov MOT checker , but could just be an error on the database.

Otherwise check the V5. This should show it as Cali.

+ Edit, there a 2 x non Calis listed on the forum. 1 listed as caravelle with non elevating roof, the other listed as a transporter +

Last edited:
Just checked my 2020 6.1 and the Mot check says

VOLKSWAGEN CALIFORNIA OCEAN TDI S-A​

Morning lovelies, I was looking to buy a california from this forum but I've checked the mot history and its showing its a vw transporter not California does that mean its not a factory made one or am I been a silly sausage
Many thanks
There are a couple of non California’s for sale in the forum for sale page.
Unless it was registered incorrectly which can happen.
Share the ad if you want some further reassurance and we’ll try and help.

Many thanks
I don’t know where the “California/Transporter” data is derived from, but if it originated from when the vehicle was first registered by the VW dealer there’s a good chance they entered “Transporter”. Might be worth a check with your local deale.

Could be an imported vehicle. Most people on here can spot a factory built Cali from a hundred yards, they don’t need to look at an MOT.

Ok, thanks guys, we are new to all this, we are hoping to go see it today, so will have to ask if they have all the paperwork, it may show on that

Ok, thanks guys, we are new to all this, we are hoping to go see it today, so will have to ask if they have all the paperwork, it may show on that
The following vans are all advertised on the forum, but are conversions (not Californias), which might help answer your original question:IMG_3466.pngIMG_3467.pngIMG_3468.pngIMG_3469.png

Can you show us which one you are going to see?

Many thanks
If you can get me the vin number I can tell you exactly what it is and what extras were added at factory

Going to see this one

Going to see this one
That must be one of the first ever made, certainly a very early one.
Most likely down to being a new model that wasn’t recognised as a California back in 2008.

Very strong engine with no cam belt to worry about. Just make sure it’s been properly maintained. My biggest worry would be a 15 year old electric roof.

Check the coolant reservoir for any sign of oil contamination.

Last edited:
Definitely a California and looks like a good buy as long as everything is ok with it.

I have a Cali of the same age - KU57 KUS - comes up as a Transporter on the MOT checker as well, but 100% Cali. Just a quirk of the older models, I guess. Hasn't presented any problems with insurers etc.

Many thanks
I have a 2007 cali. All paperwork with it, ordered from listers vw. Its reg never appears on insurance or parts searches. Its described as a transporter but was 100% sold to us as a cali. Side door is drivers side and stickers etc inside in German mainly. Full cali manual etc. It is frustrating. Any 2007 owners here?

Back