Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Morocco direct

Bellcrew

Bellcrew

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I see that a new roll on roll off ferry service is being started from Poole to Tangier in the near future, at the moment it will just be for goods to avoid the faff created by B**x*t but if there is enough demand consideration will be given to the carriage of motorhomes, food for thought hey.

I see that a new roll on roll off ferry service is being started from Poole to Tangier in the near future, at the moment it will just be for goods to avoid the faff created by B**x*t but if there is enough demand consideration will be given to the carriage of motorhomes, food for thought hey.
Thats got to be quite a long trip 2-3 days on the ferry each way?

Don't see how a change in our Nation Status can have any impact. Last time I checked Morocco was a Sovereign Nation just the same as the UK.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I’d think twice before going to any North African country in current unstable times. I spent many years in Africa with two near fatal encounters with men wielding AK47’s. For anyone wishing for a romantic desert trip remember that when you leave the relatively stable mainland Europe you enter a world of blatant corruption and no back up support from police.

I’d think twice before going to any North African country in current unstable times. I spent many years in Africa with two near fatal encounters with men wielding AK47’s. For anyone wishing for a romantic desert trip remember that when you leave the relatively stable mainland Europe you enter a world of blatant corruption and no back up support from police.
I have not been yet, but Morocco is a very popular tourist destination, it’s not considered unstable or dangerous, it has a reputation for being super friendly. I’d rather go there than Turkey at the moment. It is possible to get stuck there by ever changing COVID rules though.

A direct ferry is great, as I can head directly out to Morocco and spend a few months there before making my way back through Europe using up my 90 day Schengen allowance.

Don't see how a change in our Nation Status can have any impact. Last time I checked Morocco was a Sovereign Nation just the same as the UK.
All those tangerines etc from Africa will be able to flow to the UK without any interference from the EU's tariffs/duties etc. Time there does not count towards the EU 90 day visa free stay etc, admittedly not up to Spain's first world ambiance but still spectacular in its own way. Three days each way on the ferry or travel back via Spain/France, sounds like an epic trip, probably.

All those tangerines etc from Africa will be able to flow to the UK without any interference from the EU's tariffs/duties etc. Time there does not count towards the EU 90 day visa free stay etc, admittedly not up to Spain's first world ambiance but still spectacular in its own way. Three days each way on the ferry or travel back via Spain/France, sounds like an epic trip, probably.
And oranges. :thumb

I have not been yet, but Morocco is a very popular tourist destination, it’s not considered unstable or dangerous, it has a reputation for being super friendly. I’d rather go there than Turkey at the moment. It is possible to get stuck there by ever changing COVID rules though.

A direct ferry is great, as I can head directly out to Morocco and spend a few months there before making my way back through Europe using up my 90 day Schengen allowance.

Ive been to Morocco a few times. It’s relatively safe in the tourist areas. But once you wander off the beaten track, you may stubble into some interesting people/situations.
Areas around the Atlas Mountains are well guarded. You really need to think about where you’re heading.

Not sure I would feel safe parking up alone in the desert along the coast for the night or two...

Ive been to Morocco a few times. It’s relatively safe in the tourist areas. But once you wander off the beaten track, you may stubble into some interesting people/situations.
Areas around the Atlas Mountains are well guarded. You really need to think about where you’re heading.

Not sure I would feel safe parking up alone in the desert along the coast for the night or two...
Not a lot different to South London really. Just need to keep alert & have an escape route planned & ideally travel as a small group if possible rather than a lone vehicle.

Surprising how a bit of potentially useful info goes off into the negative zone.

1 Ferry instead of 2 and fuel crossing Mainland Europe.

If you leave your van/gear unattended. Pay a local to keep an eye on it, and then pay another local to keep an eye on him.

Good advice.
To be fair, not much point sleeping in the van.
I remember we found a place along the coast. £5 each.
It was absolutely mint and had a sea view.
Morocco is still cheap as chips, compared to Europe.

The Moroccan coast (and probably inland) is full of vanlifers. It's an incredibly popular surf destination especially with the French due to the language. I don't think you'd struggle to find a convenient place to park among like minded people.

We have been on 4 trips to Morocco, we have been all over and it's great.
We haven't managed to get the Cali over yet but here is our last trip when we took the Touareg.

I have not been yet, but Morocco is a very popular tourist destination, it’s not considered unstable or dangerous, it has a reputation for being super friendly.
I met a German couple who had spent some time on the Atlantic coast of Morocco and they said that there was about a 50km stretch of motorhomes. The man summed it up when he said" You know, I go with my shovel to empty my sh*t and when I dig, there is other people's sh*t". I was told that travel to the south of the country is not advised.

I met a German couple who had spent some time on the Atlantic coast of Morocco and they said that there was about a 50km stretch of motorhomes. The man summed it up when he said" You know, I go with my shovel to empty my sh*t and when I dig, there is other people's sh*t". I was told that travel to the south of the country is not advised.

I remember being caught short at one of the desert point breaks over there.
Our guide had disappeared and I needed to go. The only thing I could find was an old rag in the back of the truck.
Later on I realised it was the guides prayer mat.

Oops...

Not a lot different to South London really. Just need to keep alert & have an escape route planned & ideally travel as a small group if possible rather than a lone vehicle.
Hey... I’ve lived in South London all my life. No “no go” areas around here for me.

However, as a holiday destination, Morocco is far more attractive than Catford.

Surprising how a bit of potentially useful info goes off into the negative zone.

1 Ferry instead of 2 and fuel crossing Mainland Europe.
Not negative at all, just the logic of the new route, press release below.

The Port of Poole says the new link to Tangier will help importers and exporters get around the delays caused by having to send goods via European Union countries.

The route has been established by United Seaways and has been in planning for more than two years, the port said.
It will run once a week and cut journey times on Moroccan goods to fewer than three days, compared with more than six days via the current road routes. It will also cut the environmental impact of the trade.

I think we would be up for a trip with a small group. Sometimes the risks are overstated I find. My daughter spent a year in the wilds of Columbia as part of her uni languages course and never had a problem despite dire warnings. Case of being sensible usually and understanding different cultures and ways of doing things.

Been a few times, although not in the van.
Morocco is nice, a few hustlers but mostly friendly.
Tangier... not so much. Bit dodgy, especially round the port area.