Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Serbia etc

GrahamBland

GrahamBland

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
We are planning to take the cali on a long haul trip through to Greece. But I have just checked our insurance cover and there are a few countries on our route that aren't covered and they can't provide a green card for (Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Bosnia)

Now, I know we could drive through Serbia and Bulgaria instead but would prefer 'Plan A'

I know that at least Montenegro accepts EU Green Cards - but having phoned up our Insurers (Safeguard) they tell me that they can't issue a green card for these countries (they can for Serbia)
They suggested we might be able to pick up insurance at the border!

Has anyone had this problem before? and, if so, how did you get around it?
Any advice would be gratefully received

Cheers
Graham

I've done the insurance at the border thing in North Africa with a motorbike. That was effectively just third party insurance (and I found the "beware, they'll push their granny under your wheels to claim the insurance" scaremongering far from the truth.

My concern would be what happens in the event of a shunt to an expensive vehicle as I doubt you'll find the equivalent of 'fully comprehensive'

Yep it's only third party.....

Treat yourself and go up through Romania...

Trust me you will love it.....

Thanks guys - I am sure Romania will be great anyway. Happy days :)

We are planning to take the cali on a long haul trip through to Greece. But I have just checked our insurance cover and there are a few countries on our route that aren't covered and they can't provide a green card for (Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Bosnia)

Now, I know we could drive through Serbia and Bulgaria instead but would prefer 'Plan A'

I know that at least Montenegro accepts EU Green Cards - but having phoned up our Insurers (Safeguard) they tell me that they can't issue a green card for these countries (they can for Serbia)
They suggested we might be able to pick up insurance at the border!

Has anyone had this problem before? and, if so, how did you get around it?
Any advice would be gratefully received

Cheers
Graham
Hi. Did you go, and did you do the Albania route? If so, how did you get around the insurance issue? Our current insurer is as picky as yours.

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We have just launched a new scheme this week that caters for continental travel in some of the more problematic to insure countries. If you'd like any details please drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan

Hi again. Thanks for the contact. The office contacted me yesterday and is going to send me a quote. All good for Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc, but still only 3rd party for Albania. Is that likely to stay the same? Cheers, Richard

Hi again. Thanks for the contact. The office contacted me yesterday and is going to send me a quote. All good for Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc, but still only 3rd party for Albania. Is that likely to stay the same? Cheers, Richard

At the moment no. But as we can only quote up to 30 days in advance, and you need the cover for June next year, any quote we give now is unlikely to be accurate for when you need the cover to start.

Regards
Dan

At the moment no. But as we can only quote up to 30 days in advance, and you need the cover for June next year, any quote we give now is unlikely to be accurate for when you need the cover to start.

Regards
Dan
Cheers Dan, thank you. I realise that the quote, when it comes, will only be an approximation of what it might be when my January renewal date comes around. But I am especially interested in whether or not Albania is going to remain 3rd party only. That's the main place we had wanted to go on our way north. The odd bump or scrape would be OK but I'd be sorry to have our relatively new Cali stolen if it was completely uninsured for theft.