Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mmmm...

Welcome on your first post,
my advise ....enyoy !

Hi there,
Today, we have picked up our new California...what a dream!
Any advice and hints welcome!!!

Only hint is search before posting otherwise the thought police will have you;).
Welcome, hopefully you'll love it as much as we do.
.. message ends..

Enjoy! Use it, love it. What colour & spec? Photos?

Hi there,
Today, we have picked up our new California...what a dream!
Any advice and hints welcome!!!

The main advice I can offer is to show us some photos!!

Drive it, enjoy it, tell us all about it and ask away for answers to anything you don't understand.

Welcome, have fun, post lots of pics

Hello Guy and Louise,
Welcome and congratulations.

My advise would be to read the manual before operating the roof, awning and cooker. If you don't follow the instructions to the letter there is the possibility of you causing some damage. This forum is crammed full of so much good experience based advice so I would also use the search function if you get any issues. Someone will have had the same issue at some time.
That advice really covers everything else as well. Just go out and park up somewhere remote, pick a function to play with, read the instructions and safety warnings and then once you've fully understood what to do, try it yourself. Start with the cooker and then put the kettle on for a brew. I say go out and park up somewhere because if you try to do this at home you will have neighbours, friends, dog walkers and just about every Tom, Dick and Harriet wanting to know all about your new toy. So you won't get much done!
The other piece of advice is to be spontaneous. You now have the tool so throw some stuff in the back and go off to where the sun is currently shinning. You don't actually need to go that far if time is against you. That's what these vehicles are all about.............that sense of freedom.

Good luck and happy adventures.

Thank you for your welcome... we have a white and indium two tone... reading the manual...slowly!!!View attachment 23282
Lovely Cali. I haven't seen that colour combination before. Very nice indeed.

BTW, it's not advisable to have your awning out without nailing it down. A slight breeze or sudden gust and they can take off damaging the awning, the awning fixing brackets and your Cali as well. There is a current thread where some poor sole has suffered just that fate. Always secure it down by either of the following methods:

Minimum measure for still weather or light breeze - bang a couple of rock pegs in at diferent angles through the holes in each supporting leg foot bracket.

Stronger breezes - As above but with the adition of a strap tie down kit. They are sold in the club shop.

Personally if the weather is likely to feature anything more than a strong breeze I would put the awning away.
Also if it rains you have to drop one corner otherwise the awning will fill with many gallons of water and eventually collapse. I know as I was that soldier. Fortunately no damage resulted on that occasion but I was lucky.

Remove the washing up bowl if you use the stove because you may end up melting it if your pans are on the large side. If they are then take the bowl out and use the forward burner as larger pans can also effect the fridge top as well.

When bringing the roof down, I have found that the best way to avoid damage is to follow the manual to the letter. Open a window or door on the sheltered side, make sure that the mattress is pulled forward into it's correct position, make sure nothing remains ustairs and then whilst one of you operates the control button the other stands at the rear of the vehicle checking from side to side to ensure that everything is housing correctly without getting caught. If anything occures then shout out loudly and the button operator can stop the operation immediately. Take extra care if you have to attempt this proceedure in strong winds. If you have been pitched beneath trees then check the roof chanels for debris before housing the roof. A pine cone or conker etc would cause damage if the roof is housed without first removing them.

Last edited:
Looks great. Lots of good times ahead.:welcome

OK I am definitely liking the two tone colour (in this combination). Not many real pictures of them out there. Hope you have great times ahead...

Lovely Cali. I haven't seen that colour combination before. Very nice indeed.

BTW, it's not advisable to have your awning out without nailing it down. A slight breeze or sudden gust and they can take off damaging the awning, the awning fixing brackets and your Cali as well. There is a current thread where some poor sole has suffered just that fate. Always secure it down by either of the following methods:

Minimum measure for still weather or light breeze - bang a couple of rock pegs in at diferent angles through the holes in each supporting leg foot bracket.

Stronger breezes - As above but with the adition of a strap tie down kit. They are sold in the club shop.

Personally if the weather is likely to feature anything more than a strong breeze I would put the awning away.
Also if it rains you have to drop one corner otherwise the awning will fill with many gallons of water and eventually collapse. I know as I was that soldier. Fortunately no damage resulted on that occasion but I was lucky.

Remove the washing up bowl if you use the stove because you may end up melting it if your pans are on the large side. If they are then take the bowl out and use the forward burner as larger pans can also effect the fridge top as well.

When bringing the roof down, I have found that the best way to avoid damage is to follow the manual to the letter. Open a window or door on the sheltered side, make sure that the mattress is pulled forward into it's correct position, make sure nothing remains ustairs and then whilst one of you operates the control button the other stands at the rear of the vehicle checking from side to side to ensure that everything is housing correctly without getting caught. If anything occures then shout out loudly an the button operator can stop the operation immediately. Take extra care if you have to attempt this proceedure in strong winds. If you have been pitched beneath trees then check the roof chanels for debris before housing the roof. A pine cone or conker etc would cause damage if the roof is housed without first removing them.
Thank you, all noted! The awning was just an experimental extend and retract... very still evening!! All the advice received with thanks...

Thank you to you guys for the words of encouragement... two nights spent "downstairs", very comfortable. Wider than my T4 Murvy Meteor!

Last week I posted a pic of our new two tone Ocean. Happy smiling faces all round! This week it may be rejected!!
I had a tow bar fitted by the dealer, sadly the electrics don't recognise if a trailer is connected, which it should! This defect has been going back and forth between The UK and Germany....nearly two weeks and still no fix!
Even the dealer has been enquiring about rejecting the vehicle! Why do things have to be so complicated!?

Sorry to hear that. It's not great news but at least it sounds as though the dealer is on your side!

True, the guys at Listers Coventry have been superb