Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Midgie-proofing the roof vents

J

johna

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Does anyone know of a good solution for midgie-proofing the roof3331F347-DAE2-451C-A898-3F66F1D85010.jpeg vents? I’ve not found anything available commercially. Living on the west coast of Scotland I’m very motivated to sort this. Last year I tried holding fine midgie mesh in place with magnets either side of the canvas. Not a brilliant solution, for moving on daily. They’re not easy to put in place, and the magnets have a weak attraction because of all of the material in-between. In fact the magnets have a stronger attraction to the roof struts and van sides as the roof is lowered. I’d rather have a removable solution, to allow for greater ventilation when only facing larger insects.

Does anyone know of a good solution for midgie-proofing the roofView attachment 90506 vents? I’ve not found anything available commercially. Living on the west coast of Scotland I’m very motivated to sort this. Last year I tried holding fine midgie mesh in place with magnets either side of the canvas. Not a brilliant solution, for moving on daily. They’re not easy to put in place, and the magnets have a weak attraction because of all of the material in-between. In fact the magnets have a stronger attraction to the roof struts and van sides as the roof is lowered. I’d rather have a removable solution, to allow for greater ventilation when only facing larger insects.
Maybe try using the stick on Velcro to attach a pad of mesh to

If we ever go back to scotland and its midge season I thought I would try taping a blue surgical mask lover the vents. You can breathe through them so air flow shouldnt be a problem.

agree. a small piece of midge net and sew that on.
I converted our VW side in screens to midge net, they work well and in the rain with the home made air screen for the window.

Three years ago, I used gaffer tape to stick midge mesh over the roof vents and side screens. On the inside of the roof and the outside of the screens. Worked well and it's still there.

Thanks for your replies. I like the simplicity but OCD / new van syndrome won’t let me stick and leave gaffer tape on the canvas :) I do want a removable solution so will probably do something with sew-on Velcro. Cheers.

Thanks for your replies. I like the simplicity but OCD / new van syndrome won’t let me stick and leave gaffer tape on the canvas :) I do want a removable solution so will probably do something with sew-on Velcro. Cheers.
Why removable?
Why not just replace the netting with midge proof equivalent. Done carefully no one would know.

If you want a temp solution you could cut some mesh, get some edging sewn around it and then sew it on. If you carefully put the stitches through the existing mesh it would be removable without damage.

Why removable?
Why not just replace the netting with midge proof equivalent. Done carefully no one would know.
I find the very fine midgie mesh does significantly reduce air flow. A trade-off I’m willing to make even in hot weather, if it keeps out the infernal midgie. But if I’m somewhere warm with bigger bugs, I’d rather maximise ventilation.

I sprayed some permethrin onto the vents and it seemed to work fine.

Permethrin is a water soluble insecticide. It is used to impregnate mosquito nets in the tropics with the result that nets with larger holes can be used, meaning more air flow, better sleeping, and therefore people more likely to use the net … and hopefully less malaria.

Anyway it seemed to work against the midgies in Scotland and meant there was still some air flow

I sprayed some permethrin onto the vents and it seemed to work fine.

Permethrin is a water soluble insecticide. It is used to impregnate mosquito nets in the tropics with the result that nets with larger holes can be used, meaning more air flow, better sleeping, and therefore people more likely to use the net … and hopefully less malaria.

Anyway it seemed to work against the midgies in Scotland and meant there was still some air flow
Thanks for the suggestion!

I use an electric insect repellent plugged into the inverter socket. 1refill lasts for 20+ days of continuous use. No mosquito nets on doors, windows, vents . I do use the VW fly screens for the sliding windows in hot climates. Never been bothered by any flying nasties in Scotland or Scandinavia or elsewhere in Europe. Maybe they don’t like us or the insect repellent does it’s job.

I use an electric insect repellent plugged into the inverter socket. 1refill lasts for 20+ days of continuous use. No mosquito nets on doors, windows, vents . I do use the VW fly screens for the sliding windows in hot climates. Never been bothered by any flying nasties in Scotland or Scandinavia or elsewhere in Europe. Maybe they don’t like us or the insect repellent does it’s job.
Sounds ideal, worth a try. Would you mind linking to a source for one you’ve found works, please?

Don’t know if you’re still looking for a solution for the old midges, but here’s what I did.

I bought really fine midge netting, cut two pieces large enough to cover the vent. Then stuck small adhesive-backed magnets around the edge of the vent on the inside. On the outside, cover the vent with the net and the match up the locations of the magnets. Been on there a couple of years now.

I found gaffer tape doesn’t like sticking the canvas, but the little magnets did the trick.

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight who mentioned magnetic tape!!! If you cut 4 pieces of midge netting, attached one half of the tape all the way round the edges of them all, placed 1 piece outside then the other inside, then the magnets should hold it in place without any gaps.
I presume it would still be thin enough to close the roof properly and/or could be removed without any trace.

Hello

Did you ever manage to obtain a solution to this midge problem. I’ve very keen to find one too.

Back