Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Midges in Scotland

We are off on 22/July have skin so soft smidge and 2 other repellants and a plug in
9cfc2ead0e80454f44be35f86a7f1c61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like you are well prepared but don't forget that the fly screens and vents (top of pop up roof) are not midge proof! My wife sewed fine mesh into the screens to solve this problem.
Have a great holiday.

Thanks for this info as I'm off to Scotland on Weds

I'm going to try a different solution for the vents/flyscreens in the pop up roof :

I'm going to spray them with Permethrin insecticide.

Works well for mosquito nets & I understand it's been shown that impregnated nets allow you to use a wider mesh and therefore get more air flow. The other really important reason is that i cannot sew.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 07.48.07.png

Thanks for this info as I'm off to Scotland on Weds

I'm going to try a different solution for the vents/flyscreens in the pop up roof :

I'm going to spray them with Permethrin insecticide.

Works well for mosquito nets & I understand it's been shown that impregnated nets allow you to use a wider mesh and therefore get more air flow. The other really important reason is that i cannot sew.

I'll let you know how we get on.

View attachment 47766
All the best.

Take note of any bottle instructions as some of these sprays can affect plastics should you get any on the trim...

Enjoy Scotland!
That's a really good shout! Thanks MartG. Can cause cracking in a stress environment.
Some suntan lotions can also be nasty to plastics in the same way.

We are heading to West Coast Scotland mid August.
Have plugin, Avon so soft ( our dog groomer says we can spray the dogs with it),smidge & x2 T6 slide window midge screens from Jerba campervan.
Jerba recommend making a muslin /Velcro patch to go over the roof vents.
Also booked on coastal campsites.
Midges really like my husband.

Really excited about our trip. Wedding in Alloway first .

Do not forgot about the ticks especially in woodlands & long grass. Take a tick remover. We live on Dartmoor ,so aware of risks.. Our local chemist has photos warnings about tick bites. Can cause Lyme disease

Last edited:
Take note of any bottle instructions as some of these sprays can affect plastics should you get any on the trim...

Enjoy Scotland!
I concur!
I have some Buzzoff spray with DET that melts plastic.

Check out this thread for an approach to midge proofing a van. I sewed gauze onto all the vents and fly screens. I also have a long bit that has small magnets sewn in the bottom which I hang from magnets. This setup and the brandrup tailgate mosquito netting saved my sanity when there were great big beetles bouncing around the campsite in Lugano recently. The tailgate netting is not mkdge proof though, wishnit was!

Permethrin and DEET very different.

Permethrin is an insecticide - appears to have no damaging effects on clothing plastics etc. See link below. Insects die if they come into contact with it

DEET is a repellent - doesn’t kill the insects but damaging to plastics etc

Here a bit more info on permethrin

Another question

Has anyone used the VW insect screens that slot into the side windows pls?

(For a European trip when would like to have more ventilation)

Side screens are OK but won't stop midges - should be good for Europe...
I also wouldn't leave the van for the day with them in (open) as they're not very secure.

Another question

Has anyone used the VW insect screens that slot into the side windows pls?

(For a European trip when would like to have more ventilation)
The widescreen work for midges if you sew midge gauze onto them with a circular needle!! Not easy but it works

We sowed Midge gauze to it as well. Actually in fairness my wife did it worked a treat.

OK, the first night of our forthcoming adventure in Scotland is at a campsite that is quite likely to have lots of the little devils (Cashel at Loch Lomond).
It’s just a 1 night stopover for some sleep so we won’t be setting up camp, but just wondered if there’s any advice to avoid a swarm inside the van. We’ll cover the roof vents with midge net patches we’ve made, but anything else we should/shouldn’t do?

OK, the first night of our forthcoming adventure in Scotland is at a campsite that is quite likely to have lots of the little devils (Cashel at Loch Lomond).
It’s just a 1 night stopover for some sleep so we won’t be setting up camp, but just wondered if there’s any advice to avoid a swarm inside the van. We’ll cover the roof vents with midge net patches we’ve made, but anything else we should/shouldn’t do?
Park at the back away from water, and keep door shut!
Saying that I’ve stayed there years ago in September and no midges (very windy though).

Park at the back away from water, and keep door shut!
Saying that I’ve stayed there years ago in September and no midges (very windy though).
Light a citronella candle, will help to stop them from coming in if you have to briefly open the door.