Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Members with VCDS/Carista/VAG devices

Yes please, reserves. Whatever, whenever, however is easiest for you. I would love to do the sensor adaptation properly. In theory it would only take a few minutes. I can easily drive to Bexleyheath, do on the spot or borrow and post back.

Yes please, reserves. Whatever, whenever, however is easiest for you. I would love to do the sensor adaptation properly. In theory it would only take a few minutes. I can easily drive to Bexleyheath, do on the spot or borrow and post back.

I’ll let you know when next there

I’ll let you know when next there
Hi Reserves
I have bought a cable and I think perhaps fixed this. Thanks for the offer of help. Time will tell to see if it’s is properly adapted and working.
R

I have the latest version of VCDS Dongle + laptop PC but remember I am no expert!

Willing to help where ever I can - I'm in Telford, Shropshire.

Hi Reserves
I have bought a cable and I think perhaps fixed this. Thanks for the offer of help. Time will tell to see if it’s is properly adapted and working.
R

Glad you got it sorted! I haven’t been up that way in a while.

today bought obdeleven (obdeleven.com) , with pro activation let's you do the same as vcds , only cheaper.
payed 50 eur for the obd dongle and 25 eur for the PRO activation.

Obdeleven is doubtless cheaper than the professional versions of VCDS and in most cases sufficient for the casual DIY user.
However for those who wish to see the capabilities of VCDS have a look at this table. Registered VCDS users also have lifetime updates and technical support totally FOC. Updates being offered automatically when they become available (which is quite frequent) and the operating PC is connected to the internet. There is no limit on the number of PCs that can have the software loaded as the registration is within the dongle not the app.
I've never used it to its full potential but myself and friends have benefited from its availability many times.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Saw this in Aldi today. I've never used these devices before and am just wondering if this might be better than an app? Anyone got one?Any comments please?

Attachments

• PXL_20210102_161142704.jpg
    PXL_20210102_161142704.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 30
Saw this in Aldi today. I've never used these devices before and am just wondering if this might be better than an app? Anyone got one?Any comments please?
An app such as carista is better as they focus on VAG vehicles, give you VAG specific info and the advantage for me is - when you find an error, you can search for more info on the error from the smartphone/tablet itself. You do not need to make a note of it and then use a phone or a laptop to find more info.

Also, usually these devices have old software that are not updated and will only give you very generic returns codes that may not help to pinpoint VAG faults.

I think a carista or an obd11 is a better investment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I guess it all depends on how savvy you are with fault codes and analysis, and what you are trying to achieve here. Vehicles are full of computers these days that produce loads of error flags all the time that often reset them selves in time or at the next ignition cycle. You’d probably have to do research to understand a fault code, but even then it’s not always the case that you’ve found a major thing. And there’s often a domino effect with fault codes, that one system misbehaving causes another one not to behave properly, so these things need some knowledge.

You might also want to think about what you would do if you see a fault code. So for example would you be up for swapping out your exhaust sensors or changing an airbag module or an ABS module? Would you be able to track back an ABS fault to a wheel sensor problem? If you’d rely on a technician to do these things, then a diagnostic tool is probably going to give you more worries than it’s worth! (Just my opinion)

I have the Carista app and connector. It seems to be more tailored for VAG than other tools. For me the big asset is that the app lets you change settings in the vehicle, but it does this in a proven way rather than you having to hack and experiment. So far I’ve changed various things like auto locking above 10mph, how the lights and locking work, the km/h setting in the cluster and some ACC settings. It also will help with diagnostics if that’s what your after.

I’m not an expert user in these OBD tools and there are probably many other devices, but Carista has been fine for me as an entry level user into these things.

Back