Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MDF board / rear parcel shelf in early T5

Mike1973

Mike1973

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi. I have a 2006 T5 California. The MDF board / rear parcel shelf at the back (ie the bit your head sleeps on when the downstairs bed is made) weighs a tonne and is difficult to manoeuvre about when I want to take it out to make way for storing large items in the rear of the van. I understand that later T5s (2010 onwards?) had a metal grill/mesh style shelf instead of the MDF board. I assume this must be lighter in weight and therefore easier to take in/out. Does anyone know:

- can the metal grill/mesh style shelf replace the MDF board? ie. does it fit without any need to change any of the brackets that keep it in place?
- where can I buy the grill/mess style shelf as a spare part? And how do I even find the part number? I have looked online for this but can't find it anywhere!

any help much appreciated :)

Mike

In my opinion, they didn't change the interior of the van (except for the one with the lounge function), so my guess would be that it fits 1 on 1.
My guess would be that they changed it to the metal one because hinges could shear out of the wooden board.
You can try to find a second hand metal shelf, but your easiest bet would be VW, of course at VW prices.
Part number should be 7E7 067 101 A .
The wooden board part number should be 7E7 067 133 .

Hi. I have a 2006 T5 California. The MDF board / rear parcel shelf at the back (ie the bit your head sleeps on when the downstairs bed is made) weighs a tonne and is difficult to manoeuvre about when I want to take it out to make way for storing large items in the rear of the van. I understand that later T5s (2010 onwards?) had a metal grill/mesh style shelf instead of the MDF board. I assume this must be lighter in weight and therefore easier to take in/out. Does anyone know:

- can the metal grill/mesh style shelf replace the MDF board? ie. does it fit without any need to change any of the brackets that keep it in place?
- where can I buy the grill/mess style shelf as a spare part? And how do I even find the part number? I have looked online for this but can't find it anywhere!

any help much appreciated :)

Mike
Hope this helps.

This is Yours I presume MFD board.
Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 18.43.52.jpg

And this is the replacement Metal shelf.
Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 18.43.32.jpg

I agree / I think it will fit. Thanks for the links that incredibly helpful. Is 7zap your go to place to find part numbers? I haven't found a place yet that makes finding part numbers easy...

Just type "etka" in google, and you will find a few sites.
They only go to 2016 for now, so we (with older vans) can find our stuff, but the T6 and up is difficult.
On the other hand, most has stayed the same, so you can have a direction for part numbers, but to be sure, you need your vin number and a real etka (VW).

The first time i saw that new metal shelf i
wanted one, i think the price changed my mind,
also the idea of trashing a good board on top of the price.

Just type "etka" in google, and you will find a few sites.
They only go to 2016 for now, so we (with older vans) can find our stuff, but the T6 and up is difficult.
On the other hand, most has stayed the same, so you can have a direction for part numbers, but to be sure, you need your vin number and a real etka (VW).

Thank you that's awsome. I can't believe after 3 years of ownership I had never worked that out! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETKA

The first time i saw that new metal shelf i
wanted one, i think the price changed my mind,
also the idea of trashing a good board on top of the price.

yes I see what you mean... but the MDF is just SO heavy and I keep banging it agaist the cupboards and internal trim scratching the car up left right and centre. I am hoping the move to the metal self will stop that. I assume it is much lighter/easy to handle. I wonder if anyone knows for sure that it is?

yes I see what you mean... but the MDF is just SO heavy and I keep banging it agaist the cupboards and internal trim scratching the car up left right and centre. I am hoping the move to the metal self will stop that. I assume it is much lighter/easy to handle. I wonder if anyone knows for sure that it is?
It would be interesting to know exactly what weight difference it is.
We need someone to weigh a metal one.

It is still quit heavy. I think you would be better off considering making a replacement for the MFD out of plywood and just transferring the fittings.

It is still quit heavy. I think you would be better off considering making a replacement for the MFD out of plywood and just transferring the fittings.

You over estimate my carpentry skills (none) hahaha

How about drilling ventilation holes or get a carpenter to router some grooves in the panel to reduce the weight?

If you leave enough material between the holes/ slots it would fine.

Just make sure it can hold the weight when you start cutting the board.

It’s about 8kg incl. mattress. without mattress i reckon 6.5kg..
Have you weighed your board with a mattress?

I might drive to the tip this week and throw mine away
just to see how much they charge me,
i'll then know the weight of it. :)

Have you weighed your board with a mattress?

I might drive to the tip this week and throw mine away
just to see how much they charge me,
i'll then know the weight of it. :)
I removed them as i travel without Them, always sleeping upstairs. I remember weighting them togheter to know how much weight i had saved, it was 8kg

So all in all not worth changing it for the metal one for weight reasons (not for the van anyway).

lots of options and ideas here. gonna have to sleep on this one for a few nights...

lots of options and ideas here. gonna have to sleep on this one for a few nights...
Funnily enough, I'm planning to build a MDF parcel shelf to replace the metal one. I want a shorter one to allow the bench to slide backwards enough to clear the wardrobe near the fridge. About 50cm long instead of 80cm. A second shelf on top to carry stuff that i can place next to the bottom one to form a bed downstairs.

Funnily enough, I'm planning to build a MDF parcel shelf to replace the metal one. I want a shorter one to allow the bench to slide backwards enough to clear the wardrobe near the fridge. About 50cm long instead of 80cm. A second shelf on top to carry stuff that i can place next to the bottom one to form a bed downstairs.

I don't suppose you fancy selling me your metal shelf?

Back