Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making the move from a T5 Kombi to a T6 California

JTMonza

JTMonza

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All, just signed up as we hope to embark on stage 2 of our camper van adventures.
Four years ago we purchased a used 2012 T5.1 Kombi and converted it to include many upgrades including a Reimo pop top and Caravelle seats. It has been the most versatile vehicle we have ever owned for a family of 5 plus a spaniel. I am just wrestling with the choice to go new California beach or another conversion.

We have loved the process of developing our own van but I have missed the better quality and finish that a factory build would have given us. Our van has taken us round France, Switzerland and the Uk giving us some great memories! It is now time to upgrade and I think that a California beach will provide the perfect replacement. Our spec preference probably means a new van to get the options we are after.

We live in Salisbury, does anyone have any recommendations for dealers who will give a good quality of service ?

Look forward to hearing from you all !

:welcome

Can’t help re the dealer but i’m Sure you won’t be disappointed with a Beach. Good luck :thumb

Welcome , a brave thing to do 5 in a Cali (even if it is a beach) ...:thumb

I came from self- converted to Cali Beach in 2012 and can honestly say it was the best decision I made with regards to vans.
The hard wearing plastics are easier to keep clean and quite robust. Having chairs and tables stored in the doors and tailgate really helps with space.
Leisure battery under the passenger seat is nice and out the way, you could stick a second one in under the drivers too.

Don’t go to crazy with options. Diesel heater, Front & rear Climatic, cruise control, app connect and all round parking sensors are the only must haves in my opinion. Other options can be added later if needed.

Thanks for your feedback, that is my train of thought as well. Just need to finalise my must have spec and then try and find a sensible dealer to talk to.

:welcome Sounds like a plan, good luck with your search.

Thanks for your feedback, that is my train of thought as well. Just need to finalise my must have spec and then try and find a sensible dealer to talk to.

Not sure if you had the seat rails in your Kombi, but the ability to move the seat up and down the cab is a huge plus point.
Also the finish of the roof is far superior to aftermarket solutions

We have Caravelle sliding 3 seat bench in our Kombi, which have been a huge success in our dey to day use. The roof is a Reimo roof, but fibreglass. One thing we may miss is the twin sliding doors we currently have.

One thing we may miss is the twin sliding doors we currently have.
Belting up a child in a type 2 child seat by the fixed side panel is the biggest inconvenience we suffer from not having twin sliding doors. Fortunately our eldest (4 years) can belt himself in so he nearly always sits there.

I see you primarily wanted advice about good dealers in your (Salisbury) area. Sorry the forum hasn't delivered that yet. I'm over in Brighton and very happy with SMG (Southern Motor Group) but I don't know about dealers to the west from here. We are relatively new to Californias but the other person you might ask is Stuart at Sun Kissed Campers in Bath.

I see you primarily wanted advice about good dealers in your (Salisbury) area. Sorry the forum hasn't delivered that yet. I'm over in Brighton and very happy with SMG (Southern Motor Group) but I don't know about dealers to the west from here. We are relatively new to Californias but the other person you might ask is Stuart at Sun Kissed Campers in Bath.
many thanks for the tip !

Belting up a child in a type 2 child seat by the fixed side panel is the biggest inconvenience we suffer from not having twin sliding doors. Fortunately our eldest (4 years) can belt himself in so he nearly always sits there.
our youngest is nearly 7 so able to buckle himself in now, so hopefully going to a single slider will not be too hard to get used to..

Hi JT

I cannot personally recommend a dealer in your direction however have a look at the thread which may be useful in identifying a dealer:

New 2017 Beach owners (after 2016 VW build / delivery issue!)

I recently purchased and received my California from Breeze in Poole. Tom looked after me and was extremely helpful...I may have changed my mind on the options a few times...he took it all in his stride.

Back