Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making an iPad mounting bracket

coordinated

coordinated

VIP Member
Following on from the Using the iPad as a satnav thread, I wanted to mount my iPad to the Cali dash for use as both a Satnav and a music player (via Aux-in or Bluetooth streaming).

I didn't really want it to get in the way of the windscreen, stereo, or air-con**, and we wanted to be able to remove the whole thing when the van was parked in town.

I bought some RAM mount parts but decided not to take the dash apart to find somewhere to bolt them onto. I thought that a simple (and less disruptive) way would be to use one of the few solid parts of the Cali's dash/fascia - the tray to the right of the hazard light.

We shaped a wooden block to (almost) fit the entire tray, then wrapped it in neoprene for a snugger fit. This took less than an hour to get the block down to the right shape. So far, so £free(ish). The heavy duty RAM mounts cost £50 :D

I'm really happy with it - it's rock-solid, and can be partly or fully removed when not in use. It's proven really reliable in the few weeks we've been using it.

** This solution does partially block some of the aircon controls when the iPad's in portrait orientation, but it's not too bad.

Here are some instructions for replicating this...

You will need
  • 1 piece of seasoned softwood (110x75x40mm)
  • 3 screws (I used black, dome-headed 8x1.25" I had - 4x30 in metric)
  • RAM mount parts (or equivalent):
    • 1x RAM-HOL-AP8 iPad base (£25.20)
    • 1x RAM-B-101, including 1x standard 1" double-socket ball arm and 2x 1" ball sockets with round base (£26.51)
  • Tools: saw, rasp/bastard file, sandpaper, screwdriver etc
  • About an hour

Preparation
  • Remove the rubber mat from the bottom of the tray to the right of the hazard light switch. This will be useful as a sizing guide for the wood.

Shape the wood
  • Taper the depth down from 40mm to around 20mm, equally from both sides.
    [album]212[/album][album]213[/album][album]214[/album]
  • Taper the width down slightly towards the rear corners (approx 5mm from each side, for the rear 20mm)
    [album]210[/album][album]211[/album]
  • Insert into dash, checking that there's a couple of mm spare all the way round (for the neoprene padding)
  • Correct the shape ... until it fits
  • Sand to taste!
  • Decide whether to paint the front of the wood to match the Cali fascia.

Attach the base plate
  • Mark the holes for the base plate, mounting it off-centre (to allow for cables to be plugged into the 12V socket) - about 6mm from the left edge (taking care to keep all screw hole away from any knots, edges etc)
  • Pre-drill holes for the bracket (2.5mm bit, I think)
  • Screw on one of the round base plates

Try it
  • Wrap the sides of the block in 4mm neoprene or similar.
    [album]215[/album]
  • Insert into the dash.
    [album]216[/album]
  • Connect the other RAM base plate to the iPad mount, and position the arm appropriately, then connect to the mounted base plate.
    [album]217[/album]

(I'll add a photo showing the iPad in the van soon - that photo's gone missing!)

Excellent solution !
RAM mounts are brilliant pieces of kit, can make up a mount for almost any thing.

Back