Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

M6 Toll - rip off!

slowcoach65

slowcoach65

VIP Member
Went up the M6 toll on Friday night, £11.00! Only £5.50 for cars! They measure the vehicle over the front axle. If the cars bonnet is <1.3m then it's £5.50, but the Cali measures to roof height as it has no bonnet to speak of. Went back via the M6 for free!

I feel discriminated against :evil:

Andy

slowcoach65 said:
Went up the M6 toll on Friday night, £11.00! Only £5.50 for cars! They measure the vehicle over the front axle. If the cars bonnet is <1.3m then it's £5.50, but the Cali measures to roof height as it has no bonnet to speak of. Went back via the M6 for free!

I feel discriminated against :evil:

Andy

Thanks for the heads-up.
Will be avoiding that.

Simon

Just for general toll route info, I always go to the manned booths on the Severn crossing and Dartford crossing tolls and have always been charged the car rate.

dan

Yep, I got done on the M6 toll for £11 last year, I went to a manned booth and was told the camera recognised the Cali as commercial vehicle. I showed the guy the back seats, explained it was a camper van etc but was told he couldn't help me and no manager available ( a Sunday)make a complaint I was told, I suppose I should have but I haven't really thought about it until I saw this thread (not been on here for a while) anyway I concur the M6 toll is a rip off :cry:

We've noticed on a few trips that it's dependent upon which lane you take...

As mentioned above... It's not whether it's a car or commercial bit the height above the front wheels.

On ours, we've always found that taking the far left hand lane on the southbound route has given is the lower charge. (Guess it to do with sensor placement)

Van is on lowered VW springs.

Might be worth a try.
M

If you are a member of the Caravan club you get a 50% discount. If you can't find your membership card and end up holding the traffic up whilst you search your pockets slowly and deliberately, they tend to wave you through with the discount...

Next time try using the A446 and A5 or even better at the moment is the A51 from Lichfield to Stone then the A 34 to stoke it's just as quick and you'll miss all the roadworks on the M6 just north of Birmingham :hello

Rekindling this old thread.
£15.30 is the new fee for the Cali, daylight robbery that is! Might be time to start using the M6 again...

Agree. Its crazy! We went on the toll before Christmas from Water Orton to Weeford (2 junctions) as Google said the A446 was a bit busy. I thought my credit card had been hacked !! Never again in the van. :mad:

It is frustrating when SUVs are bigger and heavier (along with many EVs now) and they all get the lower charge despite likely causing more wear to the road.

Join the caravan club and get 50% discount.
Hi @CaliforniamanIvan I’m in the Camping & Caravaning Club and the Caravan & Motorhome Club, which are you referring to? I didn’t realise there was a discount for the M6 toll available, how is it enabled?

The caravan club discout ended at least 2 or 3 years back.

Back