Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

M6 toll discount coming to an end

bigmac77

bigmac77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Used my Caravan and Motorhome
Club card yesterday on the M6 toll road and was informed that the discount was coming to an end this December. Anyone else heard this?

Used my Caravan and Motorhome
Club card yesterday on the M6 toll road and was informed that the discount was coming to an end this December. Anyone else heard this?

Yes. It's true.

that's a real shame but the toll into Wales are ending.

That's a bummer, use it every time we head south. :(

Don't use my caravan and motorhome sub - set it up by DD and keep meaning to cancel it. This has just reminded me. Use the CCC sites a lot and get the 60+ discount which really makes a difference.

At present I'm using the toll at least once a month, both ways :sad
I use it both ways once a month too, the membership has saved me a fortune. The drive is so much nicer in Starlight but definitely more expensive.

Just seen this on the Caravan & Motorhome website "Please note: Following a lengthy review the M6toll Senior Management Team have decided to withdraw the Caravan and Motorhome Club member offer from 31 December 2018. Frequent M6toll customers will be able to benefit from a 5% discount on the M6toll Tag. Details about the Tag and how to apply can be found on the M6toll website."
Good job I checked before I joined.

I almost bought a tag but I was told they are only for cars so are no good for cali

This does bring up a point as on the M6 Toll they already I ncrease the charge for the Cali over what they charge for a car. However I regularly use the Mersey Tunnels and the new Runcorn Bridge which both charge the same as a car and 2/3 times a year using the Dartford Crossing who again charge the lower car charge for the Cali.
My last car was a Discovery 3 which the M6 Toll view and charge as a car but has a slightly larger footprint than the Cali. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone any ideas why they can charge more? (Other than they are just ripping us off)

Anyone any ideas why they can charge more? (Other than they are just ripping us off)
The classification of your vehicle is based on the number of wheels, height at the front axle and number of axles.

classification-table.jpg

The M6 Toll unfairly classify the vehicle in a different way than the Dartford Crossing, Runcorn Bridge and Mersey Tunnels which results in an increase in cost to Cali owners, not sure about other tolls. I would like to understand why. I have spoken to the staff in the booths on the M6 Toll who advise it is all to do with the length of the bonnet, as they assume the shorter bonnet which gives an increased height over the front axle means it is a commercial vehicle. In the diagram above the second vehicle in the Class 2 box looks like a Discovery and is charged as a car but is more or less the same length, width, height and weight as a Cali.

The Cali is being charged as a commercial vehicle which it is not. I guess we are all on the same side here, any suggestions what we could sensibly do to have the Cali re classified?

Used it once. It came up as commercial vehicle, I told them it was a camper. They told me its related to the height over the front axle. Mentioned that a 4x4 would higher over the front axle. Just grunted and told that's the price. Haven't used it since.

I go via the M42 / M5. Great services at Hopwood Park with a dog friendly area being our first stop when heading north. Never caught any traffic on that route.

The Cali is being charged as a commercial vehicle which it is not. I guess we are all on the same side here, any suggestions what we could sensibly do to have the Cali re classified?
No - it's being classed as a van: the definitions are clearly set out. This is in contrast to Eurotunnel which consistently charge or try to charge California Beach owners based on the V5 classification as a motor caravan when their own very clear definitions do not class the California Beach as a motorhome.

I was hammered in Portugal for motorway tolls. They use a similar method of height above the front axle for the classification of vehicles.

Oh that's a shame - we've used it a lot as we go from mid Wales via M54 to Nottingham to our lad a lot. I always thought it was a rip off as you get charged the same for 1 junction as for the whole thing. I've found a wheeze by going along the top on the A5, so I shall do this from December then.

Oh that's a shame - we've used it a lot as we go from mid Wales via M54 to Nottingham to our lad a lot. I always thought it was a rip off as you get charged the same for 1 junction as for the whole thing. I've found a wheeze by going along the top on the A5, so I shall do this from December then.
Just stay on the M6 now, its not the money just the rip off element that grates. If the motorway gets busy there is always food, drink/conveniences etc in the back.