Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

M6 toll charge

F

Firemanbrian

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Recently purchased a Cali T6 which I am delighted with
However the M6 toll charge for these vehicles is a rip off £11 same as the largest HGV
even car and caravan is less at £10, I contacted the management who say the classification depends on the measurement from the ground through the centre of the front axle if this exceeds 1.3m the it is class 4

Even greater anomaly with a T4, empty it's a truck, loaded it can be a car when passing through their loading gauge depending on suspension height!

Rod

Odd considering my gf paid car rate in her hightop t25 which is far bigger than a Cali.

The secret seems to be to pay a person, use the auto card lanes and you get charged max.

I fell foul of this last Friday. I checked the website which was very unhelpful, I thought we seemed to fall into the car category which lined up with the classification by the Severn Bridges.
When we got to the exit there were none that were manned and it just said Class 4 £10. I pressed the intercom button, and my call was important to them, apparently, and a person would be with me shortly. Eventually a person answered and I explained about the Severn Bridge tolls. "We charge by height," he replied, "and your vehicle is a Class 4."
Doesn't explain why other Calis listed above were charged £11.
Either you have the exact money or you put a card in, no PIN required, and it takes your money.

I personally think it is a rip off. There should be clear explanation of what the charge will be for your vehicle as you arrive before you go on it.
Perhaps a lane with a sensor on it, or even a person you could ask. But that would cost them money.
I shan't be using it again.

You can always go in a maned lane & then discuss it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You can always go in a maned lane & then discuss it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. I did look on the overhead screens, but didn't see any that had a symbol saying it was manned. I just assumed that, like London Underground, they had got rid of all their staff and you were on your own trying to discuss with a computer. And loosing.
I shan't use it again, but it did explain why it was so devoid of vans though.

When we got to the exit there were none that were manned and it just said Class 4 £10. I pressed the intercom button, and my call was important to them, apparently, and a person would be with me shortly. Eventually a person answered and I explained about the Severn Bridge tolls. "We charge by height," he replied, "and your vehicle is a Class 4."
Doesn't explain why other Calis listed above were charged £11.
Either you have the exact money or you put a card in, no PIN required, and it takes your money.

never been charged more than the car rate below from the bridge webpage.

Campervans and motorhomes with a cooker, sink and sleeping accommodation permanently installed are classed as Category 1 vehicles. Drivers must attend a staffed Toll Booth. If the Toll Collector is unsure of the vehicle classification or unable to see the permanently-installed living accommodation, they will summon a Team Leader to inspect the vehicle and determine its classification.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually measured the bonnet height directly above the front axel? How close to the 1.3m decision point for car or van fee is the Cali (with or without lowered suspension). Perhaps someone with air suspension could put the van into super low mode and dry and get under the 1.3m beam. :Grin Or maybe approach at 70mph and slam on the brakes so the front nose dives. :Stig

I wouldn't expect to get very far arguing that because my vehicle meets the Severn bridge rule for cars it also should be charged the same on the M6 toll. Different roads and different rules apply. Chances are if they standardised the rules the Severn bridge would change to the M6 rules.(as the M6 rules can be implemented automatically without human interpretation )

the day i ever pay for a toll road or car park is the day i expect to be banned from entering Yorkshire & Scotland

I use it a lot for work because it saves so much time. Rarely use it for the van as i don't tend to be in a hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: DM
never been charged more than the care rate below from the bridge webpage.

Campervans and motorhomes with a cooker, sink and sleeping accommodation permanently installed are classed as Category 1 vehicles. Drivers must attend a staffed Toll Booth. If the Toll Collector is unsure of the vehicle classification or unable to see the permanently-installed living accommodation, they will summon a Team Leader to inspect the vehicle and determine its classification.
Toll arrangements are completely different for each of our major toll roads / crossings because of historical arrangements and funding methods. The M6 Toll is a privately funded road.

I'm interested as to how the free flow system works at Dartford. Who knows? Is the vehicle classification based upon the registration status or vehicle measurement?

Toll arrangements are completely different for each of our major toll roads / crossings because of historical arrangements and funding methods. The M6 Toll is a privately funded road.

agree - where campers seem to get car rate over Severn crossing they do not on the M6 unless you are a Caravan Club member, Would not expect a national approach.

As you only pay to go into Wales go around for free and come out over the bridge

I live in the West Midlands and cant remember the last time I used the M6 Toll Road (expensive!) and I never use the M6 between junction 4 and 12 (except to get onto the M5, then I get on at junc 6 just to use the slip road)- just too congested.
There are so many alternative routes so I build the extra time into my schedule. Fortunately I know the Birmingham area very well.

As you only pay to go into Wales go around for free and come out over the bridge
Agree - from The North I never use the bridge. But from the south and east it's a long way around to go up to Gloucester.

Could be academic soon. Proposals are underway to go freeflow on the Severn Crossing (like Dartford) in which case tolls would be levied in both directions. But the capital cost of the bridge has now been paid so the new tolls could be as low as £1.50 each way.

I'm interested as to how the free flow system works at Dartford. Who knows? Is the vehicle classification based upon the registration status or vehicle measurement?
We have ours on my dartford account, done on the registration number from what I recall. Charged the same as my company golf.

I have an account with the Dartford Crossing. It classifies vehicles based on the registration number:
Class ------------- Make ------------- Model ----------------------------------------- Colour ---- Vehicle plan
Class B - Cars - VOLKSWAGEN CALIFORNIA BEACH TDI BMT S-A - YELLOW - Standard

Reactions: DM
Just to update this thread a little.

All toll booths today were automated...
California is classed as Class 4 which means the 9.6 miles I travelled cost an eye-watering £8.90...!!!
No cash accepted and no apple/android pay. Card in the machine only.

Could have been worse, could have been a weekday at £10.60...:oops:
For the 10/15 minute saving today, it really wasn't worth it and i won't be using it again.

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 17.47.37.png

Last edited:
I used the M6 Toll yesterday in the Beach, and got off at T6..... I was charged class 2 (£4.80).

I have found that the Cali must be right on the edge for the 1.4m height at the axle line. With 30mm lowered suspension & when I have 2 people in the front it always triggers class 2... Happy Days!!

I used the M6 Toll yesterday in the Beach, and got off at T6..... I was charged class 2 (£4.80).

I have found that the Cali must be right on the edge for the 1.4m height at the axle line. With 30mm lowered suspension & when I have 2 people in the front it always triggers class 2... Happy Days!!

Probably doesn’t help I hit the toll with my roof rack attached...
Definitely over the 1.4m limit.

Good argument for lowering springs ;)

Back